Author Topic: Whitefish  (Read 568 times)

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whitefish
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:04 PM »
Posting this here and not in "Whitefish", to get faster results. My buddy is going fishing with me tomorrow and will be in a different shack. I always use a camera when going for whitefish, but he doesn't have any electronics, any advice on how he can detect bights, spring bobber, gear, etc? He is a noob and I want him to be successful and have fun.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Whitefish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Light panfish rod, bail open, slip bobber weighted to the point of barely negative buoyancy, and the right bait, set at the right depth...and some luck. That's my .02 ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Do not have a fishable resourse of whitefish in my area anymore but when we did always fished them with a "spring line"  with a 1 oz. weight droped down to a shad hook with a smelt tail the spring was nailed to the bob house wall the weight would load the spring so you could see ether a downward or upward bite. it seemed to be very effective to the point were we overfished the resourse. seems as the local shops no longer sell springs anymore but you can use the stainless steel strips that are in old windsheild wiper blades. good luck

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Pinch line between thumb and forefinger to feel slightest bite.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Yup small bobber

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:42 AM »
An old-timer once told me that the best depth for whitefish was 3 arm-length's and a foot! Since I didn't know any better, that's exactly what I did and darned if it didn't work! Have your friend use very light line. 4 lb test! Then I used to use a real tiny ice fly, the same size you would use for sunfish. Best bait I used was waxworm's. For a bobber I would use the tiniest foam bobber I could find! One that would stay barely afloat. You have to keep an eye on that bobber. Very important! If the bobber move's at all, set the hook! Good luck! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.