Author Topic: Arctic Armor Bib Question  (Read 714 times)

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
Arctic Armor Bib Question
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:56 AM »
I typically just wear my work carhartt bibs ice fishing and don't have much of an issue but they are getting a bit tattered and now I can feel them leaking quite a bit of cold air through the pockets and down the leg zippers.  That hasn't been much of an issue but the worst part to me this the fact that they build up slush and snow clumps along the cuffs about to my knees, not only is this annoying but the second I go into the warm shack or into the pickup at the end of the day I get soaking wet.  I've been eyeing up a pair of the camo arctic armor bibs and was wondering if the snow/slush building up on the cuffs is much of an issue with them?  I see they are waterproof so I wouldn't think so but I'm just looking for a little first hand advice before I buy.  Thanks for any information.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Arctic Armor Bib Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Me and my son don't have any problems with snow and slush anywhere on our Arctic Armor.  I have no complaint with my suit.

Offline beez

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:29 AM »
I bought the jacket for deer season paid like two hundred for it and I told myself that if for ANY reason I did not like it that it would be goin back to bass pro shops. Well needless to say deer season is over and I stilll have the jacket I sat in the rain for five hours with my cell phone in my pocket When I got home my phone and me was dry as a bone. All I wear with it is my under layer and I still sweat my a&@ off in it the only thing I don't like about artic armor is it is SO DAMN HOT  if its not under 32  degrees I cant bear to wear it for ice fishing I think it would be perfect . We have no ice so I have not tried it in slush

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:04 PM »
AA is the whip!!!! It is one of the best items I have ever purchased for icefishing. Super warm and always stay dry! It is nice knowing that when I'm heading out to fish I will be warm no matter what and I hardly ever fish in a shanty. I put on Under Armor base layers and cover that up with sweat pants and a sweat shirt. Like previous posters have said it is also waterproof and windproof. I wished it breathed a little better but I'm not going to complain!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Check the threads in the "Dress for ice fishing" forum, a lot of info there.

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Bought a pair ofA/A this year, I got the A A Plus. warmest clothing  I ever owned. you do NOT NEED TO LAYER with these bibs. also have had no issues with build up on cuffs like carhartts.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:53 PM »

I got Artic Armor for x-mas & I think they're great, I have no problems w/ice build up. I too use to wear Carharte & had the same problem you have. Good investment---go for it.

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:18 AM »
I got the red and black AA this year and the bibs could not be better. The parka is pretty good too but, as gillcommander says- "it could be more breathable" - also -  unless you have a real heavy layer under the parka your back will get cold if you stand with your back to the wind for quite awhile. I have started wearing a Polar weight insulated underwear top plus a heavy 100% wool sweater plus an old down vest on the coldest days, that has done the trick  - so far. There is a lot of hard wind where I fish on most days, 10 to 20 mph. is common this year. If you don't get this much wind you wont need all those layers. On a cold calm day - 10 degrees - I don't use the down vest and am real comfortable. The safety factor ( flotation) is also worth a whole bunch!!! I'm glad I bought them. No issues with slush or ice buildup - at all. Legs always stay dry.
Warren

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I'm gettin' a little fuzzy....... I have not been able to ues them this year BECAUSE WE HAVE NO ICE!!!!!!!!!
 But as I remember they were the best ice fishing purchase ever.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:39 AM »
NO probs with ice/slush on AA. :tipup:

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2012, 01:40 PM »
None of the ice fishing suit that have knee pads will have that problem., its a good time to buy, lots of sales going on. Good luck.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Third year with my suit and im sure I will get another 3 before I even consider having to replace it, use mine every weekend for november-april and during ugly weather on the boat in the summer.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2012, 02:00 PM »
No problems with ice or slush...comfortable, warm, and safe.

Buy a suit that floats you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.