Author Topic: Anyone famliar with the 10" Mora hand augers  (Read 1016 times)

surflizard

Anyone famliar with the 10" Mora hand augers
« on: Jul 29, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I've just had a Mora 10" hand auger traded to me and was wondering what Mora owners think of these 10" augers ?

I wiped it down and lubed up the handle folding brackets,  It's been hanging in a shed for 5 years. The blades look
and feel pretty sharp. The blades say Mora / made in Sweden / 10"= 250mm.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Anyone famliar with the 10" Mora hand augers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2010, 02:33 PM »
Howdy SL! That's exactly what I had before I bought my ESKIMO. They work great...as long as the blades are razor sharp...with the proper angle. I always honed mine after every use (As I do my Stingray blades) with a Hard Arkansas 4" stone and honing oil...it's the perfect size to do the blades. Stone is part of a Smith's Sharpening kit that I've used on my knives for over 20 years. Leave a light coat of oil on when you're done to prevent rust. Don't know that I'd care to do 26"-30" of ice with one, but they're fine for under a foot of ice. Say, speaking of ice, if you've got some cool weather way out "over there", could you pump it back to us Minnesota boys? We're kinda roasting up here lately...tight lines!!! ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2010, 02:48 PM »

I owned one years ago and like mentioned above, later in the season when the ice is thicker it gets tough to get
through the last 4 inches.
 Found that it would bind at the bottom of the hole just before your broke through the ice and that was even when
it was new.
 If you tried doing 36 inches of ice yourself you had a workout and didn't do more then 2 holes.
 If the ice was over 24 inches thick we use to double team Augering the holes and then it wasn't bad.
 One good thing is you never had to worry about getting a Big Lake Trout out of the hole.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2010, 03:12 PM »
man im glad i dont have to turn that beast.lol 

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Howdy Rebel, I don't think the 90 degrees here today is gonna help you out there much, It's too Frlkken hot  :'( I had a delivery fubar at work this morning so I went and picked up a Walbro rebuild kit for the Shark. JEEZ, by the time I put the carb back on I was soaked with sweat and I was sittin in the shady garage too ! :o There was some varnish on the jet/ seat and the metering jet was sluggish, so I cleaned everything up nicely and she starts on the first pull every time. I eye balled the piston and bore while the carb was off and the plug was out. This auger wasn't run much, if at all, no scoring, no carbon, AMAZING !! It looks brand new ! ;D

I might use the Mora for first ice 3" to 4" tops, I much rather shave the ice than pound on with my chisel when it's that thin.  :o  Destroyed my left shoulder in a bad bike wreck in 01 and I try to take it easy on it now :pinch:

Speaking of Minnesota, how far are you from the Boundry waters ? I trained sled dogs out there years ago, but I never got to fish any of it.  :'(

Same drill with you TB, raced sleddogs in Thunderbay but never got to fish it.  :'(

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2010, 04:15 PM »
You will have arms like tree trunks by the end of winter! ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2010, 04:18 PM »
I never care to turn a Mora bigger than 6". ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Hey Surflizard! Where the heck did you find a kit for a Walbro carb?! I tried finding a kit for Walbro dual carbs on a JDX 440 sled I was rebuilding for a fella years ago, and never could find one! Great that you got the ESKIMO runnin'....sounds like it never was used much! I'm on the opposite end (straight south) of the state from the Boundary Waters...beautiful country, though! I think most Minnesotans make at least one trip up there in their life. Our "big water" here is the Mississippi...20 miles away. That's the problem in southern Minny...you have to drive to find any good place to fish. Pain in the butt during hardwater season. Like tbfisherman said, the Mora will 'Bite" or bind up right before you break through, and your shoulder will know it ! Destroyed my RIGHT shoulder pitching baseball..don't ever do shoulder rebuild surgery! OOWWWWW! :pinch: That's the reason I had to sell the Mora. ;)

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Ya Rebel, the more I think about the Mora, the better I like the idea of mounting it on the wall of my gun/fishing man cave.  ;D I met a guy named Frank on the ice a few years back when I was having trouble with an old one armed Jiffy that wouldn't stay running. Frank pulled out a leatherman and proceded to rebuild that auger right then and there. :o  He got it running like a champ and when I tried to give him some cash he said Nah, just hand out some of my cards to your friends and we'll call it even. He can find small engine stuff when nobody else even knows how to order the stuff ! ;D I stay on his good side by keeping him stocked up with Crappie fillets and backstrap, Cantankerous old, never mind !  :roflmao: He had the Walbro carb kits for the Eskimo in stock !  :o

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:37 PM »
trade up to a 6" Nils.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:55 PM »
I have a 7" Mora hand auger I use for early ice which works fine for me. I have turned an 8" mora and what a difference.  Even with sharp blades, it is a chore.   Alot more surface area to contend with.

You will have Popeye arms by the end of winter.

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2010, 06:01 AM »
I really don't think my bad shoulder will take that kind of abuse. I will probably end up giving it away, or turning it into a wall decoration.  ;D

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2010, 07:01 AM »
Take it out next season for a loaner.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2010, 08:56 AM »
I watched some guys cutting with one once. There was three guys and they traded in and out cutting with it. They each got one hole. I offered them my auger but they said they would fish their holes. They caught fish so they never borowed mine. Thats been 15 yrs ago at least. That was 3 augers ago for me, I sure hope they upgraded. They laid it on the ice with the blades towards us, I can remember being in awe of how huge it looked. You gotta respect anyone who would attempt and succeed with them things.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2010, 09:17 AM »
I really don't think my bad shoulder will take that kind of abuse. I will probably end up giving it away, or turning it into a wall decoration.  ;D

Why not make it into a floor lamp?

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2010, 12:22 PM »
That's a very cool idea DD, the shaft is hollow and I've got the electical parts to do it too. That would look wicked awesome if I could find a big block of lexan for the base to make it look like it's drilling into some ice !!  ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Hoo boy! Don't forget the parchment shade with the moose and pinecones.... :roflmao:

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2010, 12:58 PM »

If you get it done, I have a 6" that you can do the same with for my new shack! 12v of course!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Like others said, it's gonna be a chore, especially with your shoulder.  I use a 7" Strikemaster Mora hand auger for early ice, and that get's tough after a few holes.  I didn't even know a 10" hand auger was made!  I'd turn it into a wall decoration, would look cool in the right decorated man cave.  Hell, even hanging in the garage if you have a nice one.  Either way, pretty cool to have.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2010, 07:03 AM »
I own three hand augers (8 inch Mora, 6 and 8 inch Lazar's). Cutting a hole through twelve or more inches of ice is a chore with either 8 inch auger can only image what it would be like with a ten inch auger. Also have the problem with the augers binding just before breaking through ice. the lamp idea would make a nice conversation piece or give it to your local bait shop for use as a wall decoration.
 Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.