The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Proper gas for small engines!  (Read 142394 times)

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Proper gas for small engines!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:24 PM »
i run my jiffy at 24:1 with arctic cat 2stroke oil.  i ran out of everything else and saw that i had some snowmobile oil so i thought i would try it.  i have to admit it was the best smell that came out of the jiffy.  since i ride my snowmobile lots i dont mind the smell of 2stroke smoke and the smoke that comes out.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2007, 08:15 PM »
i wouldn't recommend that, because injector oil is different than premix oil.  look at the amsoil website under their two stroke products :-X

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:43 PM »
its run better since i put the arctic cat oil in.  it even starts on th first pull and warms up faster.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2007, 08:30 AM »
I think   though not 100% sure   if the oil meets ASTM standards  any work
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:04 AM »
AMSOIL!!!!!!!!  NUFF SAID!!!
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx  :tipup:

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:26 AM »
When I first bought my Eskimo last year I was using the strikemaster smokeless @ 24:1 ??? (Tecumseh's oil ratio recommendation in the Eskimo manual) When I took my machine in for some warranty work this fall, they found the cylinder was scorred and not the piston. The first question they asked at the repair shop was "what kind of oil are you using"? I told them it was the strikemaster but then swithed to the Tanaka later on. I got a whole new engine from Tecumseh and they guys at the repair shop said Tanaka was really good and I should run the mix with the Tanaka oil @50:1 I still get some oil out the exhaust but not many people are running their augers at extreme temperatures like we do.

Brad

i'd say in my area we experience a lot of those "extreme temperatures."  in our case, would you guys still recommend the 100:1  mixes?  and you use this mixture on outboard boat motors, too, huh?  this is an interesting thread - thanks for the info.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:35 AM »
I run mine 80:1 with the amsoil sabre, (click link from previous post) but close enough to the 100:1, just because I leave mine in my storage unit and it is unheated, and the motor is stone cold when I start it, but the guy I buy my amsoil from, the local dealer, he showed me all the data for that sabre, and its incredible what kind of lubrication it can do at all extremes of temp and engine type!  My jiffy never ran better, doesn't bog, no smoke, no smelling like crap from the exhaust, and power  ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #37 on: Oct 06, 2007, 12:11 PM »
i'd say in my area we experience a lot of those "extreme temperatures."  in our case, would you guys still recommend the 100:1  mixes?  and you use this mixture on outboard boat motors, too, huh?  this is an interesting thread - thanks for the info.

I live in northern South Dakota where we sometimes experience 95 below zero wind factors and 45 below zero temperatures. I don't know if that is extreme enough for you or not, but I use Amsoil Saber Professional 100/1 mix in every 2 stroke that I own. I have been using it mixed 100/1 for about six years now with no trouble. Everything starts better, runs smoother and has more power with this oil.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Oct 06, 2007, 01:38 PM »
I switch every two stroke motor I have to the Amsoil. From my boat to ice auger and I run it 100:1.   Much better engine performance and limited smoke on the auger.    I run an older magnumm III and it makes it purr like a kitten.     I highly recommend it.... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2007, 08:46 PM »
theres another reason as to why some manufacturers say 24 to 1 for their air cooled engines. it's because it keeps them at a cooler temp and not running very hot. air cooling isn't as effeciant as water cooling so you can either use the engine for a shorter period of time or beef up oil. right now i'm refering to air cooled OB's like Ted Williams and such. augers, i'm not as sure about. you don't run them very long, but who knows, maybe they overheat with 100 to 1 easier even in the cold?

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:16 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone's posting on this website about oil and gas mixing for augers.

For the past two winters i had been running Strikemaster brand oil 24:1 in my Lazer 224 and she would smoke and had a pretty good deposit of oil on the outside of the muffler.  It would sometimes bog down a little bit but ran good until it gave out on me last winter and it was replaced at Cabelas with a brand new Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress (long story dont want to get into it).

I remembered all of the problems i had with oil build up, etc on the other auger so i thought i would do a little investigating to see if there was an alternative out there.  After reading boards such as this i decided to go the synthetic route along with a few other modifications.

Here is what im running and im really looking forward to cutting some holes with her this winter and many more!

8" Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress 2 HP 49cc
-Switched out the factory Champion Spark Plug with the correct Bosch Plug (3.68 dollars for two plugs at Napa)
-Upgraded from regular 87 octane fuel to 91 octane premium (20-30 cents difference for a gallon of gas)
-50:1 mix of Amsoil Saber Professional oil
-2 ounces of Sea Foam
-Half an ounce of Stabil

I realize that i probably didnt need to use both Stabil and Sea Foam but i figured i would give it a try and see if there is any difference.  After speaking with a tech at Strikemaster and a master mechanic on small engines i decided that running 91 octane would actually be a little bit better for the motor then regular 87.  Also while the engine does call for 24:1 we have all read that this isnt exactly the case expecially if you use a synthetic.  Now Amsoil does call for 100:1 ratio but both people said that it would be best to run it at 50:1.  What is 1.3 ounces of oil anyways?  Also it is a lot better to be rich with your oil then to be too lean.  Ive ran it a couple of times now and have noticed no smoke smell coming out of the muffler nor any build up on the muffler.  At the end of the season i was told that it would probably be best to fog it with some petroleum based oil/gas mix just to be certain that all the components are properly lubricated during the spring-fall.

I realize that Amsoil has its policy about replacing an engine if it blows up but the mechanic said that a while back a customer of his was having his snowmobile ready for the winter and apparently was using Amsoil and everything in the engine was ceased up with rust.  Amsoil never replaced the motor and the guy was out that money.  They might have changed the formula between then and now but i really dont want to take a chance and figure i might as well fog it with a petroleum based oil at then end of the season to play it safe.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #41 on: Nov 28, 2007, 05:33 PM »

You can use the Amsoil at 50-1, 24/1 or whatever ratio you choose up to 100-1. I use mine mixed 100-1 and I don't know how much unused oil you would get coming out of the muffler mixed richer. Try the Amsoil mixed at 24-1 and see if you like that mix. I know that some people don't want to go all the way to 100-1 and mix it at 80-1.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:47 PM »

I know that some people don't want to go all the way to 100-1 and mix it at 80-1.
yeah like me  ;D

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I switched to Opti2 last year. I mix it at 100:1. I went through 5 gallons of the mix in two chain saws, weed-eater, and my Jiffy 30. The plugs are a light tan. All motors ran better then they ever have.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2007, 03:29 PM »
i can't find anyone in the area with Opti2 or Amsoil, no ones even heard of it!

do you guys think Cabelas brand 2 stroke oil will suffice at 100 to 1. its semi synthetic, says it can be used at that ratio and i already have a gallon of it waiting to be used in the OB this spring  ;D

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Go to NAPA, or go to amsoil website https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

Online fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:15 AM »

;D

The NAPA store in Northampton Ma had Amsoil. Got some there about 8 months ago.

Offline mnwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:17 AM »
I know this is a little off topic but I have an older strikemaster 2 hp auger (10-15) years. I just put a 10 1/4 inch bit on it and was wondering if there was any way or ways to make it a little more powerful and have a little more "rip". It cuts nicely but just for the times when im on 3 or 4 feet of ice!? im not looking for something that will go through in 5 seconds or anything just to give it a little more juice. going to try some amsoil and 92 or 93 octane gas, but anything else anyone would recommend? thanks in advance!!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:49 AM »
I thought that you need at least a 3 hp for anything bigger that a 8 inch hole!

Offline Dsum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 15, 2008, 01:05 AM »
mnwalleyehunter

i have the same setup with an older strikemaster as well.  Mag 2000 with a 10 1/4?  If you take your fuel tank off you will notice the throttle linkage to the carb uses a spring, and because of that seems to make response slow, as well the butterfly valve doesnt open all the way.  I replaced that spring with a solid piece of linkage so the butterfly opens all the way with full throttle.  It has much faster revs and better throttle response.

Use opti2 100:1, make sure your flighting is straight, sharpen those blades and get the jets tuned properly.  I can cut a hole as fast or even faster than a 3hp jiff with a 10" bit using my 2hp. 

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:19 PM »
I am planning on switching to this for all of my little motor, but I have another question.  My boat has a 27 gallon tank, which is currently full or 50:1 standard 2 cycle oil, do I need to run in empty, run it down low, start the mix out higher that 100:1 or what??

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:35 AM »
 Its been standard practice in the snowmobile industry to never mix brands of two stroke oil. You stand the chance of having it gell or coagulate.Regardless of wether or not amsoil or mobil 1 claims their synthetic is 100% mixable with others or not.

This is the internet.People supposedly do all kinds of sh!t,that nobody in their right mind in the real world would do. One example would be running 100:1 mix in a boat motor worth thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars.

Only on the net would you see people actually worrying about running synthetic in an ice auger,that if its lucky see's a gallon of gas run through it in a season and in the majority of cases not even a full tank of fuel run through it in a season.

To touch on the 100:1 mix theory and how reliable it is. I've never met anybody involved with profesional level logging and the arborist industry,even consider running 100:1 ratios in saws. I've never seen anybody in the chainsaw industry encourage the practice of using a 100:1 mix and these guys have forgot more about two stroke motors,then some hero carrying an ice auger around on weekends will ever know.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:59 AM »
good points, sledder.

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:37 PM »
 Personally amsoil is the most over rated hyped oil out there. I've used it in vehicles,sleds,bikes,atv's,lawn tractors and mowers. I had a relative who was a dealer and I bought it at cost. Up until recently the only way you could get amsoil was through amsoil or a dealer.Which was a pain in the arse. Now you can get a few things at NAPA if they choose to handle them.

I've never seen a bit of differance between mobil 1 and amsoil and you won't either,because they're both fully synthetic and esther based.Mobil 1 is everywhere and is cheaper to buy then amsoil.

One of the big pushes for running these lean ratios,is marketing. Less oil mixed per gallon equals a savings in oil use volumn.And all they care about is pushing a product.

The other big push,is trying to keep emmissions down,one way of doing this,is running less oil.Regardless of wether its good for the motor or not.

I've been running synthetic oils in my sleds for around ten years.I can honestly say after having a couple of them torn down after 10k miles or more,there isn't an ounce of differance in wear between the sleds I've ran with conventional/detergant based oils and those with synthetic,other then the cost per mile was higher with synthetic. Just as much wear and tear present on either.

I've also seen a number of sleds burned down because of injector problems and the mix ratio that was present at the time,was a hell of alot heavier then 100:1. Ski-doo had injector problems with their late 670's in the first Summit x. I owned one and it burned up on synthetic. Bombardier warrantied it and sent the dealer a list of findings. They figured the fuel to oil mixture was around 80:1. Needless to say I don't have any faith in 100:1 mix ratios.   

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:46 PM »
just talked with my landscaper/ plow guy  uses the aimsoil sabre and mixes it @60-80:1 in his saws and trimmers never had a problem..  I mix mine at 80:1 for my chain saw and auger, I just like the fact of less emissions and seems like more power..  I run aimoil in my truck and it runs great..  have fun all :-*

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:34 PM »

do you guys think Cabelas brand 2 stroke oil will suffice at 100 to 1. its semi synthetic, says it can be used at that ratio and i already have a gallon of it waiting to be used in the OB this spring  ;D

You can go on the Amsoil website and order it direct from them. If it would help, you can ask a question about Amsoil on their site and a petroleum engineer will answer it for you.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:57 PM »
I've grown up around logging, my father has done it since he was 16, and so does his brothers, and they all believe in running their saws at 50:1. I went out today and bought some amsoil, I'm going to give the 100:1 a try. And also, I'm on my 3 tank full of gas in my auger in 2 weeks. But I suppose I fish more than most people haha.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Just went out for the first time with 100:1 and I'm never looking back!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline snap-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:18 AM »
100 to 1 thats not to rich? i got a jiffy and i know thats not what they call for not sure what it is but i know that it isn't 100 to 1 though!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:50 PM »
no they recommend 24:1 for the conventional oil..  if it is a new auger then run a few tanks of conventional oil then make the switch...
One thing I forgot to comment on was that I needed to adjust jets after I made the switch... but once I pent time adjusting the jets to get the cherry spot it is incredible... ;D
 But I run mine at about 80-60:1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.