Author Topic: Favorite High-End Rods?  (Read 21386 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Favorite High-End Rods?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:25 PM »
Bit of silver, and flair due to logo (both aesthetics related btw) otherwise no better. 

Got it, I'll assume the dreamy Cabelas rod was compeltely identical in action.  Same guides spacing too.   ???  And, made in MN?

Yes, Yes, and No. Anymore I'd rather spend money anywhere else then MN.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:58 PM »
I have a JT Gold Digger and love it for 5mm tungsten up to size 3 jigging raps (5 in a pinch), and UL ripping raps.  Sweet rod for perch and walleye, but looking for something for 5-7 jigging raps now.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 25, 2021, 03:40 PM »
Tiny Rodworks

They are the best rods I have ever used and I have used/own a lot of the big name custom rod builder rods.  They are custom made to the exact spec and action you want.  Disclaimer: I am the rod builder behind Tiny Rodworks and that may make me a little bias. ;D
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:25 PM »
2- 13 Fishing Archangels, 1-Gloomis Ice, 6-Haat Rods plus various others St Croix Mojo Ice.... Haven't really invested in  a "Custom" built rod yet.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:33 PM »
2- 13 Fishing Archangels, 1-Gloomis Ice, 6-Haat Rods plus various others St Croix Mojo Ice.... Haven't really invested in  a "Custom" built rod yet.

Aren't those gloomis rods like $200?
Da Pack!

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:16 PM »
I just looked into the 2 B rods. They look like some decent rods for the price. I think have a sale now.
I personally use Fish 13 widowmakers.

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:57 PM »
I just picked up an Elliott Rippineyes to use when working larger raps and spoons. I can’t compare it to anything other than my 13 wicked and widow maker rods but it seems like a great rod. I really like my widow makers as well.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Aren't those gloomis rods like $200?
YES.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline redzmvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Nov 23, 2021, 12:32 AM »
HT blue ice for me.  its not a custom rod but somebody had to make it.

So is an HT blue ice rod that has been stripped and re-tuned a custom rod?I modified a pair for a guy I fish with,and he just loves them.Other than a little labor,the total cost for each rod was about 20.00. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #69 on: Nov 23, 2021, 02:37 AM »
So is an HT blue ice rod that has been stripped and re-tuned a custom rod?I modified a pair for a guy I fish with,and he just loves them.Other than a little labor,the total cost for each rod was about 20.00.

I would say so. It is more of a custom rod then the multiple mass produced rods being sold as custom.....when there is not one single "custom" item to the mass produced rod.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #70 on: Jan 03, 2022, 01:08 PM »
Custom rods, wow where to start? Its some ones time and effort put into a blank. Blanks vary and so do prices for them . Carbon or fiberglass general composites for certain applications.
I have built many flyrods and ice rods, I keep them simple and look to build them for specific applications I have a need for. With that being said many rods will perform in a similar fashion, its all the trimming certain markers put on them, do they have specific handles, # of guides, fancy colors/appearance ect.. I have seen many great looking rods on rod-building sites. I will say this, step up to the ledge take a jump and build your own, you will love the end product for one application or another. If not build another.
I have seen some excellent rods shown here and many other sites. I give those makers huge credit, but ultimately a rod has one job and its to fish.  A secondary for a maker is how well it appeals to buyers, so unless you know how it fishes your buying an assumption based on looks.

I worked for A major snowboard brand for 3 years and was stunned to find out there were 4 board presses in the whole world and manufactures built them to a companies specs and graphics, but specs did not vary that much. The difference could be 2-3 hundred dollars or more based on cosmetics.
Support rod builders 1000%, but please don't  take the bait hook, line and sinker on you need a $100 ice rod or 2 grand fly rod.
My 2 cents 100% build your own- cost is priceless.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2022, 01:56 PM »
I also dont own a single high end ice rod.i only pull panfish thru the ice so i dont need one.i do have many high end rods for steelhead fishing.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2022, 02:07 PM »
I had a st croix open water rod for years and it was awesome.... For ice..... My highest end rod isnt really that at all.... Its a low to medium end rod.... But it feels very nice innthe hand.... The abu garcia veritas.... Not a fan of the all white aeeing as it will blend in to the snow but i think ill be ok.... Oh and i have a fenwick i picked up on sale at northwoods for like 40$.... Its also a nice fishin stick
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2022, 08:52 PM »
Custom rods, wow where to start? Its some ones time and effort put into a blank. Blanks vary and so do prices for them . Carbon or fiberglass general composites for certain applications.
I have built many flyrods and ice rods, I keep them simple and look to build them for specific applications I have a need for. With that being said many rods will perform in a similar fashion, its all the trimming certain markers put on them, do they have specific handles, # of guides, fancy colors/appearance ect.. I have seen many great looking rods on rod-building sites. I will say this, step up to the ledge take a jump and build your own, you will love the end product for one application or another. If not build another.
I have seen some excellent rods shown here and many other sites. I give those makers huge credit, but ultimately a rod has one job and its to fish.  A secondary for a maker is how well it appeals to buyers, so unless you know how it fishes your buying an assumption based on looks.

I worked for A major snowboard brand for 3 years and was stunned to find out there were 4 board presses in the whole world and manufactures built them to a companies specs and graphics, but specs did not vary that much. The difference could be 2-3 hundred dollars or more based on cosmetics.
Support rod builders 1000%, but please don't  take the bait hook, line and sinker on you need a $100 ice rod or 2 grand fly rod.
My 2 cents 100% build your own- cost is priceless.

I built a few so far, but still like my jt gold digger better so far.  I am certainly not rich but I enjoy fishing and make gear a priority. This way when mrs right comes along I have everything I need and don’t need to justify purchases. Hopefully she will love to  fish and then I have gear for her too!  ;) Cheap gear works fine too. To each their own.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:41 PM »
Bricker custom Rods.

No custom rod even comes close to a Bricker rod.
Well people do make their own rods too including myself…. sooo I think their are some other custom that will compete, lol.  Many other custom rod makers out their just not as advertised as bricker. ;)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:17 PM »
I would like a custom open water rod.... But for ice i can more money on trips if i buy cheaper combos
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.