The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Bait Question  (Read 1068 times)

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait Question
« on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:33 PM »
So I stored my bait all winter in a 5 gallon bucket in my basement. Most shiner survived. I then recently changed out the water with my well water. Left the bucket in the garage. Recent cold spell froze top layer of bucket and all the bait had died...question is did the freeze kill the bait...or the well water?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Bait Question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2021, 02:53 AM »
Prob the lack of oxygen after the ice formed

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:06 AM »
Prob the lack of oxygen after the ice formed
X2

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:09 AM »
Good to know it wasn't the well! Next time I will put them in the basement where I had them all season. Thanks for the info

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2021, 07:44 AM »
It's a combination of conditions. Most well water is poorly oxygenated, usually it needs a bubbler to build DO levels to saturation. If you treat the well water as many do, it's possible there's a ph or alkalinity problem. Lack of oxygen transfer through the skim can be problematic, also ammonia from the fish waste builds up under the ice instead of offgassing. The tried and true way to keep bait alive is a cheap bubbler, adds O2 and keeps the skim away.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2021, 08:13 AM »
Had the bubbler in it for the first two days...battery died too cold. So that makes sense now.

Offline Flaaaagman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2021, 05:28 PM »
413iceman, go to your local Wally-thing and buy a cheap aquarium bubblah (aerator).  I use this set up and usually change out the water a little at a time once a week seems to keep them pretty good.
Good luck.
 :tipup:
FFFFFLAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGG GGGG!!!!

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2021, 10:46 AM »
I disagree on lack of oxygen. I have bait do fine in my bait tank when it freezes over.

The most likely cause of death after a water change is temperature shock. The well water was probably warmer and then chilled too quickly when left in the garage.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2021, 12:38 PM »
try the water again with a few more baits.

i find vast differences in water in my job.  i do drywall repairs in many homes a year.  some well waters will set up my chemical muds faster than i can use them!  im no scientist but the catalyst that i use to do that on purpose, i make with a fertilizer.  i cringe when that happens on a job they have been drinking it! i recommend they have it tested.  who knows what is in well water until its tested.  homes around here are being put on ground that has been subjected to field chemicals for decades!

you mite have yours tested just to be safe.  i bet it was the temp change that did in the minnows though.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.