Author Topic: Tip Ups Setups  (Read 2463 times)

Offline burkdog24

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip Ups Setups
« on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:05 AM »
I just moved to Alaska a couple weeks ago and wanted to know how you guys set up your tip ups here. I will be mainly fishing on JBER lakes and will be fishing primarily Rainbow Trout and Salmon. I would like to know the main line type and size, the barrel swivel size, the leader type, length, and size, the hook type and size, and the bait used. Thank you!

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip Ups Setups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2017, 01:56 PM »
I've never used tip-ups for rainbows.  Only for burbot and pike.  But there's not much to it.  It's definitely not rocket science.  Normally I run braided line with some split shot and a bare Gamakatsu hook.  But for rainbows you might want to run mono or even maybe fluorocarbon with a jig at the end like an aero jig tipped with shrimp, eggs, powerbait, or herring.  My question for you is, why use a tip-up for rainbows?  Why not just jig them with a regular rod?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2017, 03:25 PM »
I rarely use standard Tip Ups for salmon and trout.
My preference when not holding a rod is the AK salmon bear self setting rod holder.
For baits my first choice is small pieces of raw shrimp. Do not use the cocktail variety as they are too brittle and won't stay on the hook very well. Just buy the cheap uncooked stuff and cut it up at home beforehand.
Second choice is cured skein eggs.
A bit messy but the trout like them.
Third bait is single salmon eggs from a jar.
Hooks are almost always jigs I make myself with size 8, 6, 4, and 2 being the most common.
Though any good jig or the slender spoon from custom jigs and spins seem to work well.
Small tube jigs also work good.
My favorite colors are glow orange, glow white, glow pink, my secret color, and a few variations where we mix colors and/or add glitter.
For line I use Berkley ice line in 6# test.
If your ever down around Soldotna shoot me a PM.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2017, 04:51 PM »
I rarely use tip ups for rainbows or dollys.   However I have suspended small herring chunks for dollys with some success.  Using a piece about 1 inch wide kept smaller fish from taking the bait.  Only a fish with a big enough mouth could inhale the herring.  I did have to put up with resetting more often but it was worth the effort.   Especially when there are a billion fingerings swarming your eggs or shrimp.

On a side note... I Thank You For Your Service (I'm assuming you are in the military).  I was stationed at EAFB many moons ago.  If you are ever in the valley send me a message and we'll hit some of the lakes around here.  I work on the slope so I'm gone half the month. 

Offline burkdog24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2017, 05:20 PM »
I've never used tip-ups for rainbows.  Only for burbot and pike.  But there's not much to it.  It's definitely not rocket science.  Normally I run braided line with some split shot and a bare Gamakatsu hook.  But for rainbows you might want to run mono or even maybe fluorocarbon with a jig at the end like an aero jig tipped with shrimp, eggs, powerbait, or herring.  My question for you is, why use a tip-up for rainbows?  Why not just jig them with a regular rod?

It's more for the Salmon I just said bows too because on JBER its really nothing more than bows and Salmon.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:44 AM »
It's more for the Salmon I just said bows too because on JBER its really nothing more than bows and Salmon.
I don't use them for salmon either.
I have friends who do. They loose a lot of fish because like trout a quick hookset really is essential.
Many of those they do catch are hooked deep and need to be kept even if small.
Hence my use of the SalmonBear self setter.
TipUps do work just not the best option.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline RipLipp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2017, 01:06 PM »
I grew up fishing on JBER and tip-ups will be a waste of time and no fun with the species present. For your static rod, I would use a Jaw Jacker or Salmon Bear self setter.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2017, 03:09 PM »

You do know the salmon are just as small as the rainbows right?  Not trying to insult your intelligence if you knew that already.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline burkdog24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2017, 01:41 AM »
You do know the salmon are just as small as the rainbows right?  Not trying to insult your intelligence if you knew that already.

Touche...for some reason I had it in my head that Trout were smaller than Salmon. I never really fished for rainbows only steelhead and king salmon. I've learned that the automatic fisherman works great for rainbows.

Offline Brandonh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is life
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:13 AM »
I agree with riplipp jaw jackers work great had a lot of hook ups with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.