Author Topic: Minimum Auger Size  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Aeaglos

• IceShanty Rookie
Minimum Auger Size
« on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:22 PM »
This will be my first season hardwater fishing for pike, I have a 6" auger, but I'm concerned I'd need at least an 8." Any thoughts?

Offline CT-iceguy.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • aka striperboy on CTF
Re: Minimum Auger Size
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:23 PM »
6inch is fine for most everything
Christian Genarelli

Offline Aeaglos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Thanks CT! I'm happy to hear I wont need to make another investment!

Quick Follow-up, if the odd situation arises that I catch one too big for the hole, just cut them loose or drill a second hole? I know this question is a little silly, but with my luck I'd catch a trophy and not know what to do!

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:53 PM »
I do not know the size of pike you have in Conneticut, but IMO, 6 in is a bare minnimum size hole. From my experiences, most of the fish that I have lost or seen lost occur at the hole. Having a bigger hole allows you to start the head up the hole much easier. It also allows more room to prevent a hook to potentionally get caught on the bottom of the ice.

That being said, if you already have a 6 inch use it, but keep an open mind about going bigger.

Good Luck!!

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I pulled a 22# laker through a 6" hole fish kinda squish coming through just get a good gaf through the lower jaw

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:05 PM »
I caught a short 20 lb pike that i had to squeeze through an 8 in hole. Right now i have a 6 inch nils that bought not thinking ahead. Now a carry a gaft to each flag incase i bring up another monster someday

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline badger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:10 PM »
6" is good most of the time small enouph you dont burn your self out plugging holes for perch but big enough for most bigger fish, i started with a 8" lazer bigger the better right? found out quickly  youll have rubber arms and sweatin not good when its 10deg out

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:27 PM »
6" is good most of the time small enouph you dont burn your self out plugging holes for perch but big enough for most bigger fish, i started with a 8" lazer bigger the better right? found out quickly  youll have rubber arms and sweatin not good when its 10deg out

Looks like an opportunity to highjack this thread and turn it into a Nils is the greatest auger ever thread but i wont. Badger is right though. Most fish you'll catch will have no problem fitting through a 6 in hole

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline kyle31490

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:19 AM »
My friend has the state record PA pike at 35 pounds.  It barely fit and needed to squish through a 10" hole.  Ya never know whats there when the flag pops!
FLAG!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:08 AM »
I say 8" if you are targeting pike.  Remember that hole is going to shrink thru the course of the day if its cold enough.  A clean true 6" hole should get most all the fish you are going to catch out.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:09 AM »
A clean true 6" hole should get most all the fish you are going to catch out.

Until you get between 18 inches and 2 foot of ice, then it's difficult.

if you get lots of thick ice, go big.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:11 AM »

Totally agree

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:16 AM »
6" is plenty big...you start goin 8 and 10 they become little treasures to step in when walking

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:18 AM »
6" is plenty big...you start goin 8 and 10 they become little treasures to step in when walking

Been walking on the ice for 45 years now, and NEVER stepped into a hole...guess I've just been "lucky", or is it because I pay attention?
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:07 AM »

I also agree with this, but if you use the 6 inch auger, make sure you keep your holes as clean as possible right to the edges, any little bit of ice building up on the sides could cost you.

Offline badger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Looks like an opportunity to highjack this thread and turn it into a Nils is the greatest auger ever thread but i wont. Badger is right though. Most fish you'll catch will have no problem fitting through a 6 in hole
no nils here they are nice but costly finbore for me

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:14 AM »
I also agree with this, but if you use the 6 inch auger, make sure you keep your holes as clean as possible right to the edges, any little bit of ice building up on the sides could cost you.

x2 just make sure they are clear so ice dont form and make em small i had a six inch outside the shanty yesterday morning and by the end of the day it was a 2 inch hole.

Offline NortsNskis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:32 PM »
:flex: (i can handle drilling all day with an 8")    :wacko: (what the hell was i thinking only bringing an 8")

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:59 AM »
I would bring a chain saw with, just to be safe.  ;D  I use an 8" and I was thinking of getting a 10". I lost a monster musky once with an 8" hole.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:51 PM »
I would have to agree with KYLE 31 when he says you never know what will hit your bait, be prepared. If you are targeting pike and the location can produce big fish, drill a big hole! I'm from NJ and what a surprise when I hooked my biggest pike that was 43" and I'm sure glad I had a 10" hole, early in March, a big girl full of eggs, can still see that big white belly passing under and taking up the full width of the 10" hole. Got it thru and a quick release.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:24 PM »
i use an 8'' auger and most days wish i had a 10''. my neighbor has a 10'' and is looking at a 12''.  i drive a ford, he drives a chevy.  i would not like to use less than an 8'' auger and wish i had a 10.    12'' seems kinda big, my sack would shrivel if all i had was a 6'' auger.

Offline ZTrial14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Catch and Release or Ketchup and Grease"
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2012, 01:44 PM »
I definatly use a 10'' hole when fishing for them gators haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.