Author Topic: Storing pike after the catch??  (Read 6299 times)

fbksmtnman

Storing pike after the catch??
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 04:41 PM »
I don't catch too many pike up here but was thinking about taking a trip to one of the better producing pike lakes.  Some of the Alaska fishes don't freeze to well.  After you pull them out of the deep freeze they get very mushy or loose their texture when cooking.  Is pike a fish you guys fillet up and freeze for later or is it a catch and eat immediately kind of fish??   ???  Look forward to your opinions

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Storing pike after the catch??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:20 AM »
It freezes well

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:38 AM »
I freeze pike and most other fillets in a bag with about an inch of water over the fish, keeps for a long time and is never freezer burned or mushy.  If I'm freezing smaller pieces I will put the bag in a tupperware so that it freezes into a cube of ice for easier stacking in the freezer. 

fbksmtnman

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Good to know, thanks!!

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:51 PM »
any pike we can't eat right away gets filleted, mudline removed and frozen in a one quart container. preferabaly, square.   when the dish is frozen, we pop out the ice cube and vacuum seal it. they stack well in the freezer and last a long time incase you forget they are there.   love my pike for eating.   wife likes the taste too so. . . . = more time fishing for them and whatever else bites.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:40 AM »
I vaccum seal the fillets and freeze. Taste as good as fresh pike when defrosted

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:25 AM »
I freeze pike and most other fillets in a bag with about an inch of water over the fish, keeps for a long time and is never freezer burned or mushy.  If I'm freezing smaller pieces I will put the bag in a tupperware so that it freezes into a cube of ice for easier stacking in the freezer.

I second the freezing in water.... I don't hunt so I don't have a vacuum sealer... I will purchase one some day, but not in the near future... I just ate a Bass that I caught in July and it was just as fresh as when I've eaten them the same day as I caught it.  Same thing with perch, haven't ate the pike in freezer yet though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.