New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Video: Tannersville Lake Children’s Derby  (Read 750 times)

Offline 5flags

• IceShanty Rookie
Video: Tannersville Lake Children’s Derby
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:24 AM »
I would like to thank the Catskill Mountain Fish & Game Club and the Stony Clove Rod & Gun Club for hosting another fantastic children’s ice fishing derby this year! There were 66 children and more than 100 fish caught! Trophy’s were awarded for most, largest and smallest fish in two age groups. Every participant went home with a nice prize! Food and bait was offered! The best part for me was hearing the encouragement from the volunteers at the fish measuring station and the DEC officers that attended. It didn’t matter if the fish was large or small the child walked away feeling like they had done something special! Please contact these two clubs for more information and they also have a summer derby for children. Thanks for watching and best of luck!
https://youtu.be/eCAhVbjXMtU

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Video: Tannersville Lake Children’s Derby
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Awesome  !!
Thanks for sharing

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:49 PM »
5flags thank you for posting the video congratulations to your daughters on their fish. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
A couple questions for you  I have similar mittens to the ones your wife was wearing how did you attach the cord that goes around her back to the mittens. Is Rip Van Winkle Lake the one that is visible when traveling on the main street of Tannersville.

Steve

Offline 5flags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2019, 12:43 AM »
5flags thank you for posting the video congratulations to your daughters on their fish. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
A couple questions for you  I have similar mittens to the ones your wife was wearing how did you attach the cord that goes around her back to the mittens. Is Rip Van Winkle Lake the one that is visible when traveling on the main street of Tannersville.

Steve

Hello Steve, thanks so much for the kind words! We appreciate that very much. Yes Tannersville Lake or Rip Van Winkle lake is right in Tannersville. If you go down the hill at the only stop light in town and at the bottom take a left it will bring you right to it. As for the mittens- I used some good strong boot laces and braided them together. Put it around my neck so the two ends hang down to my hands. Then took a short footlong section of braided bootlace and tied it across my chest to connect the two braids that run down. Then put the mittens on and found the right height and attached them. It’s easy to do and a blessing to not have them on the ground and always at your side. I got the idea from Heimo Korth on the show The Last Alaskans. Good luck and thanks again for watching!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:01 AM »
THAT WAS GREAT!!!!!! 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:18 AM »
5flags thank you for your reply. I should have worded my question about the mittens differently in the video your wife is wearing HT Enterprises Polar mittens. I also own a pair of them since the mittens have removable fleece liners I was curious as to how the cord is attached to the mittens. I have a grommet installation kit if you put a grommet through the liner and outer rubber shell of mitten you can no longer remove the liners for drying/laundering with leather or fabric shell mitten you can some how attach a metal ring to the mittens and attach the cord to the ring. Last Alaskans is a good show enjoy follow the adventures of  Heimo Korth and the other residents of the Alaska Wild Life Refuge. I first saw the cord system on an episode of Survivor Man with Les Stroud.

Steve

Offline 5flags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2019, 12:27 PM »
5flags thank you for your reply. I should have worded my question about the mittens differently in the video your wife is wearing HT Enterprises Polar mittens. I also own a pair of them since the mittens have removable fleece liners I was curious as to how the cord is attached to the mittens. I have a grommet installation kit if you put a grommet through the liner and outer rubber shell of mitten you can no longer remove the liners for drying/laundering with leather or fabric shell mitten you can some how attach a metal ring to the mittens and attach the cord to the ring. Last Alaskans is a good show enjoy follow the adventures of  Heimo Korth and the other residents of the Alaska Wild Life Refuge. I first saw the cord system on an episode of Survivor Man with Les Stroud.

Steve

Oh ok, no problem, my misunderstanding. Honestly I don’t have a good method. I just made a small hole that goes through both the liner and the outer shell. So far it hasn’t stretched or ripped but it could at any point. So I’m not sure how to do it so it will last longer. Please let me m ow if you come up with something better what can be removed for washing/drying like you said. Thanks!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Very cool, wish they had more like that out here.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Way To Go there, This GOOD For all !!! ;D ::)
Good To See  This  Enjoyed
Ralph   Clyde N.Y.

snowsnake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.