New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: pigs in NY?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
pigs in NY?
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:27 AM »
On the way back from fishing on saturday I was driving on rte 13 south of ithaca and saw 2 wild pigs in a field along the road.  They were dark brown and heavily haired.  Did these just escape from a preserve or what?  Never saw pigs before around here.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: pigs in NY?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:45 AM »
Open season on Wild hogs!!!!! Go get some fresh pork!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:04 AM »
I had read some reports in various hunting magazines saying that they had migrated as far north as southern Pennsylvania, and that some states were considering building a hog fence to keep them out.  I doubt that they would have made it up this far without anyone noticing or a big rauckus directly to our south, but I suppose anything is possible.

Offline deerslayer92163

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • perch,crappie,w alleye,steelhea d,northern,etc.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:06 AM »
there are some hunts avail out that way i forget exactly were but for 300 bucks they guarentee you a pig so might be a couple that outsmarted them

Offline HOSS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Mike Kelly just had a story in the Syracuse Post Standard about a guy from Skaneateles that shot one while deer hunting this year at the south end of Skaneateles Lake. Sounds like theres getting to be quite a few of them around the Cortland area.

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:50 AM »
We lease some Gutchess land in Homer and the other guys are always talking about the possibility of one coming around.  I think they have lost a few from thepreserve near there.  Don't remember the name.  I'd love to stick one with the recurve!

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Thanks for info, I thought i was going nuts when i saw them.  My wife saw them and thought those deer has really short legs.  Would be kind of nice to have another big game animal.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:32 AM »
It would be nice to have another animal to hunt but don't wish for it to be hogs. They are a menace to everyone, very prolific and destructive. I think I would shoot every one that I saw and not tell a soul. Ask anyone from down south that has them on their property what they do to them, they are to them what a woodchuck is to us.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:09 PM »
I read an article in field and stream last year, that in Florida it is year round open season on wild pigs. They claimed you could use any method to kill them you want...rocks, hatchet, gun, bow, club............ If it gets that bad with them here I might have to invent wild hog fishing  :D
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:40 PM »
While there fun to hunt and tasty if you prepare them right, you wouldn't want them around.  It's hard to believe how much damage a couple hogs can do.  Nasty attitudes too, very nasty.  If you hunt them with a bow you'd better be in a tree stand.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:57 PM »
I just saw a Giraffe here in Madison County :woot:

Here we go again :o

bonkfan14

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:01 PM »
sssssssssh..nobody say mounta....... ;D

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:11 PM »
mountian-yeti-wolf mix :woot:

Offline toes r cold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Probly escaped from one of the "game farms" in the area. There was one up by Chittenango NY, Black Creek Preserve, that had Boars. They closed but know there are a couple shot each year. It only takes one BIG wild boar to get loose and PORK the local pork. The piglets from such a match almost always go wild. Should be no problem in the southern zone with shotgun slugs. :) Heeere piggy piggy! ;D

billybono

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:58 PM »
there was just an article in the syracuse paper about a guy shooting one....not a consitered game in ny so there are no regs on shooting them...if i can find the story ill scan and post it

billybono

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:31 PM »
   Good kill them all.    They are only going to be trouble when they get up in NY inhigher numbers.    Id think they will end up causing issues and competeing with the turkey's adn deer for soem of the food forage.     They dont belong in NY either.   
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline new-icer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:26 AM »
SOME PIGS ESCAPED FROM CONTENTO'S (COLD BROOK HUNTS) IN PREBLE TWO YEARS AGO .  THE DEC SAID THEY DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING JUST GET RID OF THEM IF YOU SEE THEM. THEY DON'T BELONG AROUND HERE AND THEY DID NOT WANT THEM AROUND. I KNOW OF TWO PEOPLE THAT HUNT AROUND THE HOMER - PREBLE AREA THAT HAVE SHOT THEM WHILE DEER HUNTING. SOME USUALLY ESCAPE FROM THERE EVERY FEW YEARS.

Offline deerslayer92163

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • perch,crappie,w alleye,steelhea d,northern,etc.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:37 AM »
it can only get worse if these hogs reproduce their litters can be anywere from 8 to 15 littlie ones and on and on

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:03 AM »
Just think of the free sausage you could be eating while out icefishing.  :) Kill them as soon as you see them.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:32 AM »
They must have migrated from the penn state!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline size matters

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Throw them below , not above the ice
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:53 PM »
I know some escaped from big boar lodge and cold brook hunt club. One of my friends lives not far from cold brook and he had his deer cam out and got a few nice pics of a mother and her off spring so they are already reproducing.The DEC also said they are not native to our area and you do not need a special permit or anything, so open season on them ,they rut the ground up in a hurry looking for grubs and such. and if you get one send cold brook a thank you letter and you'll pass there name on to a friend lol :D
see the future grow , let the lil' ones go  (not on the ice either)

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:04 PM »
I've seen a few over in Washington County.  They usually come out around 4AM at last call.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:05 PM »
KILLEM ALL!  They are Feral Animals and should be treated accordingly. I can not believe DEC said they do not want to know about them? It would seem they would do everything to get a crew out there and eradicate this threat... I hope one of those buggers walks  in front of me
nuttin like a little fresh ribs on the grillwith some JD BBQ sauce oh boy!

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Seriously, we have a few running around the hills of SW Vermont.  Back in the 40's there was a large pig farm that was swamped by a flood and most of the pigs escaped.  From time to time, someone kills one.  The ones you have in NY are probably a result of penned animals escaping.  I agree, kill em all.  They are a detriment to the environment.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:21 PM »
GROWING UP IN ROME , I REMEMBER A FRIEND WHO OWNED AN OLD PIG FARM OUTSIDE OF TOWN . HE HAD SOME FERRAL HOGS LIVING ON HIS LAND. WHAT A NUISANCE THOSE ANIMALS WERE.
Women love me , fish fear me!!!!!!

Offline HT Redneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Were they on 4 legs or two?  They may just be Newfeild residents.

I listen to an Ithaca Radio Station and they were just talking about those two pigs this morning.  Apparently they have been there for a while.  No game preserves over there and I do not think pigs are ones to travel very far if the have food enough where they are.

I would not want them in my deer woods but I wouldn't mind chaisng something like that when you can't get on the ice in the winter.

HTR
Any day you can walk on water is a good day.........

Offline new-icer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:05 PM »
COLDBUM
WHAT THE DEC MEANT WHEN THEY SAID THEY DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THEM WAS THEY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH THEM JUST GET RID OF THEM. I THINK THE HOG THAT ESCAPED FROM COLD BROOK HUNTS ARE RUSSIAN BOARS. MY COUSINS HUSBAND SHOT ONE THAT WENT AROUND 250 - 300. BIG BOAR.

billybono

« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:07 PM »
MY COUSINS HUSBAND SHOT ONE THAT WENT AROUND 250 - 300. BIG BOAR.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

billybono

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:10 PM »

just imagine what a beast like that would eat in a day@

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:02 PM »
That looks like my ex-girlfriend after we broke up and she went on a Burger King eating spree :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.