Author Topic: brown trout tips?  (Read 4935 times)

Offline codyp33

• Team IceShanty Regular
brown trout tips?
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Looked for some tips on catching browns going to a derby that's usually won with browns. Got into a few rookies but can't find the browns

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
Re: brown trout tips?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:24 PM »
There is a lot of good info on page... Without knowing the in'/out's of your particular lake; I would highly recommend the "search" function at the top of the page. I would however reduce it down to just a few forums & not the entire ice shanty site... I'd search keywords like: catching brown, locating brown, brown tips, etc...

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline codyp33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:08 PM »
There is a lot of good info on page... Without knowing the in'/out's of your particular lake; I would highly recommend the "search" function at the top of the page. I would however reduce it down to just a few forums & not the entire ice shanty site... I'd search keywords like: catching brown, locating brown, brown tips, etc...
thanks

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I fish a lot in CT and MA and mainly target trout. I have found that the Brookies and Rainbows I get between 3 to 5 feet down under the ice, depending on the depth. One thing I learned with them it's better to start about 2 feet under the ice an work your way down. It seems they will move up for the baid but if it's below them they won't see it. For browns I have found more action right off the bottom in 15+ feet or water either jigging or using small shiners. But also don't be afraid to set up some tips around first light in water as shallow as 3 feet. Once you set them give them some space in the shallow water and you will catch all species of trout. I read some articles along time ago that said the trout move up shallow in the mornings and feed on nymphs and such on the gravel bottoms. I put this to the test over the years and I have landed a lot of big fish in really shallow water around first light and in the evening. Hope this helps.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:26 PM »
My best advice for big browns is to use a quality TP.  Nothing worse than being out on the ice when you have an encounter with a big finless double tapered brown trout.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:51 PM »
My best advice for big browns is to use a quality TP.  Nothing worse than being out on the ice when you have an encounter with a big finless double tapered brown trout.

OH MY  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
👮👮👮

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Brownies like meat--minnows, crawlers, waxies. also any small jigging spoons or small ice jigging rapalas are great.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:06 PM »
I fish a lot in CT and MA and mainly target trout. I have found that the Brookies and Rainbows I get between 3 to 5 feet down under the ice, depending on the depth. One thing I learned with them it's better to start about 2 feet under the ice an work your way down. It seems they will move up for the baid but if it's below them they won't see it. For browns I have found more action right off the bottom in 15+ feet or water either jigging or using small shiners. But also don't be afraid to set up some tips around first light in water as shallow as 3 feet. Once you set them give them some space in the shallow water and you will catch all species of trout. I read some articles along time ago that said the trout move up shallow in the mornings and feed on nymphs and such on the gravel bottoms. I put this to the test over the years and I have landed a lot of big fish in really shallow water around first light and in the evening. Hope this helps.
X2

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Also our browns here in Colorado like black jigs n meat like black ratso's, black marabou's and whie or chartreuse jigging raps.  Very shallow deadsticks at sun-up then move steadily deeper to 30-50 fow as the day goes on if sunny. Cloudy days much shallower.

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:51 PM »
I have caught most browns in 15+ feet of water just off bottom using darker marabou jigs. I like anything black, brown, or dark olive colors. I always have to finesse them more than bows. Light twitching motions with periods of dead sticking. I also must agree with brown-time about moving into deeper water on sunny days and fishing shallower on cloudy days. A tactic that works well on most species of trout.
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.