Author Topic: Sick of getting skunked  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sick of getting skunked
« on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:04 PM »
can I hae been skunked everytime for the last 3 years when we go out for trout.

We will be going to 2 diff lakes not far from each other. both stocked 2013 one for brook one for rainbow.

I am having a hard time finding depth charts. so most likely wing it and drilling holes.

where should i set a TIP-UP how deep? rigged with what?

for jigging what do you recomend to start with? i dont mind changing baits over and over or having a few rods set up.
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sick of getting skunked
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Find the edges of the weed beds off of points back in bays etc.   Structure can really be anything and at any given time they can change from one to the next.

If its stocked, fish the stocking area, you can go quite shallow, a couple feet of water...I like a little more but I know guys that will fish with 2-3
feet of water under the ice and do well.

A bare hook with real shrimp (not cocktail shrimp, they're much too soft imho!).  Cut it into chunks.  I've died them it worked but I wont say any better than raw shrimp.  They will suck that cocktail shrimp off or it will just fall off.   you could firm it up, with salt or some form of brine...regular shrimp is just easy.

Any small jigging spoon.

Jigs with soft tail bodies.  figure they're looking for any of the larva stage of goodies that are waiting for spring to mature into adults, be them stones, damsels, dragons mayflys, and caddis.  There's leeches around and even if they're not out and about in winter, any fish that sees one knows what it is and wont say no to it very often.  (a good spring trout flie is nothing more than a piece of black/olive/white piece of zonker rabbit hair on a bare hook, it sinks slow and moves all over the place.  Its rare they don't work).  You can go meaty with the plastic body and jig head combo and I like pounding the bottom, stur up the muck, they usually come investigate if they're around.  Be warned you can get them pretty stoked doing this and they can really hammer a bait instead of the normal soft take.   Basically it mimics something happening.  fish foreaging, up here char like digging for snails hence it works extremely well if char are your target/around, or something getting eatn, creating competition.

Flies above a jigging spoon, remove the hooks if you're in single hook water only its a great 'off' bite presentation.  When they're there but wont hammer anything this will pull a few in.   You'll have to figure the fly part out.  I have a few that consistently work well summer/winter and do very well with this rig.   

or go with the typical ice jig route, small and see what happens.   

If you have electrics of some kind you can see how they're reacting to what you have and how you're presenting it.   

Figure out what their main forage is.  You don't have to be spot on, but when the fish are off, getting close to it could mean a few fish verses a doughnut.

depth is hard to say, but I usually like fishing near the weedbeads or up in bays.  I let my electronics tell me where fish are at.  if I don't find them move.  Keep moving until you do.  Once you find them stay and change gear until I get a reaction or a bite.   Don't get stuck in a one or two hole deal...if there's nothing around go find them.   First things is you gotta have fish to catch'm

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:07 PM »
THANK YOU!!!!!

so i guess this friday. I will have to drill a crap tone of holes to find structure or any signs of anything.

so next years new purchase is a CAMERA. maybe that new WIFI vexilar camera Phone

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Stocked fish always seem to be really finicky so I would recommend jigging instead of tip ups because as soon as they feel any pressure they will drop it. My go to for both bows and brooks are small glow jigs with plastic tails and I like to tip them with a meal or wax worm. Should get you started

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 03:09 AM »
I've had my Marcum for awhile now and I will tell you this.  its taken my laker fishing from nothing to fish on a regular basis..or at least some form of basis.  We don't always pull in macs, but before we pulled in 0, had no clue where they were, or if they were there.  I grew up with flashers for walleyes so it was natural for me to jump on one when I could afford it.   The very first trip out, wamo first Alaska laker.   

The cameras are cool, I don't use one but understand why some do.   Its a lot of money for me that I felt was better spent on the flasher.   I can search structure out or at least depth and fish right through the ice without ever drill holes.   Bring along a water bottle, clear the snow, put the transducer down and turn up the gain enough to see the bottom.   I'm mostly looking for bait but if there's a bunch of fish around you'll see them. You just cant see them like looking through a tv screen.   Dunno anything about this new phone deal.   

You don't have to be spot on with the edge of the weeks....  The area I like fishing is a drop so I don't like being too far out from them or I'm really too deep. 

A cheap fish camera if you're in shallows is broke up egg shells.  I have a pile right now in the fridge.  If you're not too deep they work well.   Well enough for kids to watch anyways.   Rice works but not as well imho.   Be prepared to skim off the floaters.

For the light biters its when I go to the fly set up...or spring bobbers, or the kink in the line though I'm not all that good at it.   Once you get a flasher/camera you'll understand why lol.   

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:41 AM »
I have a Vex FL8. agree once a flasher comes into the game your fishing improves. i will try the water trick.

it is going to be a bit of a blond fish. as i have neer been to this lake ever and have no charts on it.

so tomorrow is either a try for trout day or drag out the permi.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Best bet for Rainbows where I live is at 12 Feet down. Doesn't matter the depth but 12 feet down is where I catch most. Now since it is the middle of January I have been catching some on the bottom in 18-40 FOW.
<===Lefty===

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Tip your jigs with a worm or crawler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.