Author Topic: rainbow help  (Read 4443 times)

Offline shadylakeice

• IceShanty Rookie
rainbow help
« on: Nov 24, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Any suggestions on rainbows through the ice, either tip-up or jigging? I fish a 40 acre pond max depth about 20', it is seasonally stocked and holds over pretty well so I know threy're there. However have only had mediocre success.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: rainbow help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:05 AM »
I have a lake near me (upstate NY) that has lots of browns and rainbows in it. They are fairly easy to catch in open water but hard through the ice for some reason.

I've been told to stay far away from my flags,  fish all parts of the water column including just below the ice and get there and setup before first light and all of the traffic.

Someone told me to try worms just below the ice.

I usually fish somewhere else instead  ;D   …  but i plan on trying it a few times this year.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Shallow, just off the shore line with your traps. NO drag on the spool, if they feel ANYTHING they'll drop it. Small hook, #6 or #8. 4-6 foot of 6lb fluro leader. Tiny split shoot 12in. up from hook.  Berkley rainbow Powerbait nuggets, put one on so that you cannot see the hook. Put the trap in so the bait is in with the shot just under the ice. Anytime of day, all I use. Goodluck,

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2013, 02:32 PM »
first, figure out the main forage. in lakes with snails, a small piece of nightcrawler does well, in lakes with crustaceans, mealworms are fantastic, for leeches, bloodworms, and such waxworms or spikes are best.

when setting your traps, set them in a straight line perpendicular to shore about 10 feet apart, and 30-40 feet from shore. trout cruise looking for food, they never hold in one place; you're trying to make a "net" of baits so that no matter which direction they come from, they'll see bait.

fish all depth levels, trout will rise or dive about 3 feet to eat something if they want it. smaller fish patrol the shallower water, so i usually set up my lines about 30-40 feet from shore.

if you miss a fish, hang out and jig the bait a bit, trout will often swing around for another pass or two, especially if they've already hit it once.

if you're set up in the middle of a body of water far from shore, make either big circles with your traps, or a big plus sign. space them about 20 feet apart, and check your bait regularly. with tip-ups you'll know when a fish has hit, but if you're using rods, you can miss a fish in the blink of an eye.

good luck!

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Do you use a flasher? I have found using a sensitive rod and hole hopping works best. I have found the bows travel just under the ice and I notice that they follow your bait as it drops. When I see a trout dropping like a rock after my bait I stop and wait for that hit. That is the method I get the most with but I do get a few on tip-ups.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2013, 11:08 PM »
trout are different everywhere it seems. In my lake I never fish just under the ice. Anywhere from right on the bottom to about 5 feet up. I do the same as said above and run a wide "path" of jigs of all different colors. I will tell you I never don't have a small white jig tied tipped with a meal worm tied on to at least one or two poles. A nightcrawler on a jig head works well for me too.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:33 AM »
I will tell you I never don't have a small white jig tied tipped with a meal worm tied on to at least one or two poles.

x2 and what you said about just under the ice. I think in deep water, lets say over 30ft, they hang from 20ft on up but in anything shallower I think you could find them throughout the water column. I also like everything panfishman said. Trout will try to wound their prey with that first strike especially if its the size of a swedish pimple or such. And if you catch one don't enjoy it too much ;), get back down again soon because it seems they "pod" up a bit and you might just hook up that first drop.  Good luck

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:57 PM »
close to shore!!  power bait salmon eggs shiners worms!
same with brookies

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I guess it all depends on which lake, pond, reservoir, or whatever.  One spot that I fish has lots of Rainbows and perch.  The perch hang out in 33 feet of water, right on the bottom.  When I see an echo on my finder at 19 feet, I reel up and catch a Rainbow. 
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:47 AM »
just under the ice works best for me. powerbait, pink or red. small shiners. whether i'm fishing local or up north most bows come out of shallow water a foot or so under the ice. they have a trick up at winnipasaukee
bows like gravely bottom put a hand full of corn thru a hole close to shore shallow, check it once in a while if it disappears you've got bows there. never tried it myself but i've heard it enough times there must be something to it.

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2013, 01:09 PM »
wow thats a cool idea!! what kind of corn?? creamed corn??

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2013, 04:58 PM »
just under the ice works best for me. powerbait, pink or red. small shiners. whether i'm fishing local or up north most bows come out of shallow water a foot or so under the ice. they have a trick up at winnipasaukee
bows like gravely bottom put a hand full of corn thru a hole close to shore shallow, check it once in a while if it disappears you've got bows there. never tried it myself but i've heard it enough times there must be something to it.

How shallow is shallow??

The place i fish is fairly small and depths range to 60 feet. When i troll i usually fish the deeper water and vary depths from the surface to 10 feet above bottom and then if the trout aren't biting i go into 10 to 20 feet and go for bass and pickerel. More than once i have caught a rainbow 10 feet down in 20 feet of water when the surface temp was 75.

What depths would you set your tipups?

I've never had much luck here in the winter but do well in the spring, summer and don't fish in the fall because i'm in a tree. This place is so close and i really want to catch some trout this year so any generic help would be appreciated(if you want to make a road trip it's frozen now  ;D).

I've read about the powerbait and the guy at the bait store today kept saying small shiners when i mentioned corn, worms, rosies etc that i have been reading about as options.

Have you tried worms, corn or corn colored Powerbait??

I assume you are talking about the little powebait nuggets??

Thanks ....  i may be after them tomorrow!!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Power nuggets power eggs or power putty! All works!!!!
Setup at all diff types of depths!
But if stick to shallow less the 10 feet

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:24 PM »
I generally catch rainbows in 10-30ft of water, almost always near the bottom.  Night crawler, maggots, meal worm are my favorite in that order

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:32 PM »
i like 1-3ft of water with a rocky or sandy bottom with power bait or salmon eggs, if using salmon eggs i use a hook small enough to burry in the salmon egg with no split shot. also drill alot of holes along the shoreline bait them with salmon eggs and check them every 15 minutes if a hole is missing eggs put your trap there and you should hook up.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.