Author Topic: HELP:Do you fish for Browns and Brookies the same as for Bows?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have only had experience with Bows. I fish for them in about 3-7 FOW 1 foot off the bottom or mid water column  with sandy gravelly bottoms. Usually along drop-offs or along sand bar type bottoms.

I will be targeting brookies and Browns this year in NH. Is the tactics the same? Can anyone give me advice?

I use about 6 feet of 2-4lb floruo leader with small gama octopus hooks.

THIS IS WITH TIP UPS. I also have a jig pole but i suck at jigging. But tips for that would be helpful.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Re: HELP:Do you fish for Browns and Brookies the same as for Bows?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 01:49 PM »
yeah you're on the right track. Don't limit yourself to sandy bottoms, brown are more of a meat eater and will go after snails, crawfish, and other food that will be more in rocky bottoms. And the trick to jigging them is practice! even if they don't stike, it will get their attention and maybe they hit your tip up.... keep at it!

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:34 AM »
so browns can be under the ice or on the bottom?
same for brookies?

I always fish for bows in shallow water ont he bottom.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:00 PM »
figure they are cruisin for food, so wherever that meal may present itself in the water column you may find them, typically towards the bottom in shallow water but as you find deeper water you would find them at different levels.... in deeper water however I find them to be, on average, at least 10ft below the ice. Hope this helps a bit. Jig a swedish pimple with some "meat" on it too. Some "flash" usually gets their attention!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.