Author Topic: browns??  (Read 2598 times)

Offline codyp33

• Team IceShanty Regular
browns??
« on: Feb 05, 2013, 01:46 PM »
need some tips for catching brown trout what depths should i be fishing and what structure should i be looking for..

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: browns??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:39 PM »
I fish great lakes browns not sure if the behavior is the same with smaller water browns. That being said here's my tips based on lake Michigan brown trout. I start by going to the areas I know the browns cruise in the fall and spring and try there first usually between 4 and 12 feet of water while fishing in the shallower water 4-6 feet roughly I tend to set my bait just below the ice about 2 feet. Once i reach deeper water I will usually fish top half for awhile then switch to the lower half back and forth throughout the day. I tend to look for a fine gravel bottom. If I'm not sure where the fish have been holding I will first look for a stream or river coming into the lake basically anywhere the water temperature will be different these areas attract bait and where there's bait the big fish will be near by. If I can't find a stream entering the lake i will find a where there is a shallow hump in deeper water fish will tend to stick around such structure and you can usually do quite well. Once I find a location I tend to set 2 either automatic fisherman jawjackers or slammer boards I will usually run a small minnow on a number 4 or 6 octopus hook on one and a spawn sack on the other spawn i tend to run 2 feet of the bottom while minnows I suspend half way. Then I'll set up my shack and jig either a small teardrop tipped with 2 waxies or a Swedish pimple tipped with either waxies or a small minnow. Good luck.

Offline codyp33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:11 AM »
thanks alot ill test it out this weekend..

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:26 PM »
No problem. I'll be headed out in the morning tomorrow and chasing browns and steelhead. If ya catch anything be sure to post it.

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Try the small gulp minnows on a jighead and vertically fish it slow then more erratic.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I fish great lakes browns not sure if the behavior is the same with smaller water browns. That being said here's my tips based on lake Michigan brown trout. I start by going to the areas I know the browns cruise in the fall and spring and try there first usually between 4 and 12 feet of water while fishing in the shallower water 4-6 feet roughly I tend to set my bait just below the ice about 2 feet. Once i reach deeper water I will usually fish top half for awhile then switch to the lower half back and forth throughout the day. I tend to look for a fine gravel bottom. If I'm not sure where the fish have been holding I will first look for a stream or river coming into the lake basically anywhere the water temperature will be different these areas attract bait and where there's bait the big fish will be near by. If I can't find a stream entering the lake i will find a where there is a shallow hump in deeper water fish will tend to stick around such structure and you can usually do quite well. Once I find a location I tend to set 2 either automatic fisherman jawjackers or slammer boards I will usually run a small minnow on a number 4 or 6 octopus hook on one and a spawn sack on the other spawn i tend to run 2 feet of the bottom while minnows I suspend half way. Then I'll set up my shack and jig either a small teardrop tipped with 2 waxies or a Swedish pimple tipped with either waxies or a small minnow. Good luck.

..... I fished a new lake this week with a friend of mine, the ice was sketchy too say the least so we were forced to fish this little cove near the boat launch......but there was a brook feeding into the cove so I figured there was a good chance for some fish.
sure enough a nice tiger and a beautiful brown!  (pics posted under tiger and brown)  both in 10 FOW about a foot and a half off the bottom.

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:09 AM »
..... I fished a new lake this week with a friend of mine, the ice was sketchy too say the least so we were forced to fish this little cove near the boat launch......but there was a brook feeding into the cove so I figured there was a good chance for some fish.
sure enough a nice tiger and a beautiful brown!  (pics posted under tiger and brown)  both in 10 FOW about a foot and a half off the bottom.

Glad the tips helped. Nothing more fun than a nice trout on the hard water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.