Author Topic: Jigging set up for Lakers  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jigging set up for Lakers
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:18 AM »
Looking to get a jigging set up for lakers. I have a bit of a unique situation. Most of my laker fishing is in 3-6 fow. They run from 5-20lbs. I'm thinking a med-heavy action rod. Mostly curious about reels. Either baitcaster or spinning. What do you guys use/recommend?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jigging set up for Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I use both types of reels.
My indoor (hut) setup is a 32" custom heavy with a Quantum PTI spinning reel loaded with 24# Tuf-Line Duracast.
My outdoor setup is a 42" custom heavy with ABU 6000 series baitcaster loaded with 30# Tuf-Line Duracast.
Both rods work perfect for fish from about 5# to 20+#'s.  :D

Offline redneckrance

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Damn the Man
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:21 PM »
I fish for lake trout here in Montana in shallow water. I fish on Flathead Lake and catch Macs in as little as a foot! My favorite set up is a Frabill Bro Series-30'' Medium to Medium heavy.I pair this with a pflueger President, Large Arbor spinning reel, The drags on these reels is amazingly smooth, and your going to need it when you tie onto one of those toothy torpedoes! I spool this with 8lb. Power Pro, then I tie onto a good barrel swivel and then go to a 20-25lb. fluorocarbon leader. My go to lure is a white tube jig with the half the skirt dyed chartruese.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:52 AM »
My go to lure is a white tube jig with the half the skirt dyed chartruese.

What do you dye the skirt with?  Thanks.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Use a reel that you are most comfortable with, be sure that it has a smooth drag, you will need it!

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:35 AM »

X2
Jig em up!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Cub, I bought some that are two colored ,maybe he dyed his own but mine are store bought....

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:10 PM »

Put a chartreuse jig inside the white skirt and put in a ziplock bag for a week or 2 or into desired color is achieved.

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2013, 06:46 PM »
You could always take a standard white tube jig and dip the skirt in chartreuse Spike-it which can be found at most tackle stores. There are regulations on shipping it I think because its actually flammable. Its pretty potent stuff, usually enhanced with a garlic smell. You dip plastics in it and it causes a chemical reaction and completely turns whatever color the dye is. A word of advice... don't spill it on your clothes. Been there done that!

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:30 PM »
U guys are missing the easiest way.i use sharpies.so many colors to choose from.they soak into it.as for a rod n reel, can't beat a president for the price.your shallow so mono will work.10lb mono is good or you could go 10 or 12 lb mono or floro.i advise a longer rod considering how shallow you fish.its nice to have a lot of shock when a fish slams u 3 feet under ya.i saw a short rod snap once due to that. Med hvy will be good but I like my rods lighter with lots of flex.a glass rod will be fine in those depths

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.