Author Topic: Lures Other Than Tubes For Lakers  (Read 2725 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Lures Other Than Tubes For Lakers
« on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:53 PM »
What lures do you guys like other than tubes? I usually use tubes, but was wondering when certain other lures like spoons, swimming baits, and airplane jigs might be better? What sizes and colors do you like? Do you know of any conditions where something else is a better presentation than a tube?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Lures Other Than Tubes For Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Yozuri's, Orange Rapalas ... Also streamers trolled ice out with sinking fly line are like CRACK on a hook to them...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:57 PM »
TRY PEARL, NICKEL W/GRN PRIZM TAPE, NICKEL W/ BLUE PRIZM, GOLD W/ GOLD PRIZM ALL IN THE BIGGER SIZES. THE FIRST 2 WORKS BEST FOR ME. DEPENDS ON THE WATER. I TIP THE HOOKS WITH A SMELT TAIL OR STRIP OF SUCKER. BANG IT ON THE BOTTOM A FEW TIMES ,PAUSE FOR A FEW SECONDS AND JERK UP ON IT .LET IT FLUTTER BACK DOWN, REPEAT.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2004, 06:31 PM »
Have fished for lakers a few times, and did  well with chartreuse airplane jigs tipped with sucker meat. Jigged them pretty much as described in previous post. This was in a mountain lake in CO. Best fish was only 27'', but put up a great fight on 4# line! We were in about 30' of water. Also lost a jigging pole, when something large grabbed and ran. Still smile when I picture that!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2004, 07:33 PM »
we always use quarter ounce to half ounce jig heads with nothing else but a frozen spotail shiner. as live bait is illegal here. using this we jig it very little a very subtle presentaion when the lakers get picky, and accounts for a high percentage of fish we take every winter
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2004, 02:32 PM »
it really depends on what time of the season...if vertical jigging...without a doubt i would have to say the 3 1/2" chrome buzzbomb is my favorite....Grump

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2004, 02:47 PM »
any jighead under an ounce with glow paint jig tipped with a minnow is worth a try epescialy northland whistler jigs. powder glowpaint is a great thing to have and is availeable in many colors from sourdough bay.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2004, 03:13 PM »
Slipbob, I've been thinking about getting some bucktails. I know of some good ones made by a guy named Paul Jensen (Jensen's Jigs). He has some great looking ones in any size and color. I read in In Fisherman that these jigs are great for finicky macks that won't hit anything else. I think they will work here in Colorado because our Macks are almost always finicky. Thinking of the 1/8 ounce size in white with a piece of sucker meat. Might turn those lookers on my vexilar into fish on the ice.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

NAD42

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2004, 07:04 PM »
#7 WP SP.

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2004, 08:05 PM »
Williams Whitefish half and half and yes on occassion I use bucktails aswell slipbob and in a white colour .

TD

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2004, 03:19 PM »
I totally agree with Slipbob on the bucktail jigs. There was times last year i would outfish everybody on black and green bucktail jigs. Of course i wouldnt tell them what i was using till iced a few more fish than them  :P.
Jason

Fishmon

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2004, 11:42 AM »
I have used swedish pimples, kastmasters, tubes, and bucktail jigs with success.  My go to choice is the bucktail with a fillet of sucker/perch.  I have watched fish react to various lures on a vexilar unit and they can get downright violent on the jigs.  you don't have to jerk these up and down like you see a lot of guys doing; just think perch and let the bucktail do its job.  Hang on!

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2004, 05:12 PM »
I've used Fireball jigs tipped with minnows, kastmasters, and buzz bombs.  I tip the buzz bombs with perch or sucker meat.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.