Author Topic: Gas generators on ice?  (Read 11803 times)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gas generators on ice?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:22 PM »
Yeah, Trevor thats exactly what I was thinking. I have baseboard heat in my house and let me tell you, its about as efficient as maybe a burning barrel in the middle of a room. We installed a furnace and in THREE winters it paid for itself.
Also, propane heat in safe forms is not necessarliy the warmest either. After I go to all the headache of dragging the dum shack out, last thing I want to do is wear all my clothes inside. I dont care about cost. I want a 70* shack. That is my goal. Is the Coleman Sportcat going to do that? I went to their website and really like there products. But warmth is mandatory in this application.
I dont take a shack out very often. But when i do I want it WARM in there.
Thanks for the replies.

Coleman SportCat is not a good product. I have had several models and they do not heat effectively and they are poorly constructed.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:31 PM »
i use a deep cyle battery and inverter in my shack to run the lights and ceiling fan.  i took a weed eater apart and im going to pick up a gm alternator and make a little generator out of that the charge up the battery if need be and the fact that i always have to tinker with things lol.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:52 PM »
If you go with electric heat you will want to use HEAVY extention cords or they will melt down. The draw from an electric heater will get the cord so hot you cant touch it ,and thats just with a 20' cord.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:04 PM »
If you go with electric heat you will want to use HEAVY extention cords or they will melt down. The draw from an electric heater will get the cord so hot you cant touch it ,and thats just with a 20' cord.
i have never seen this problem and i heat my shanty with electric heat after the propane heater warms it up. i use two genorators a small honda and a larger honda and they are really quite and cant hear them while inside the shack even if placed by the door or window. i made a shelf for my heater so it doesnt get wet so the likelyhood of shock is very unlikely.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Guys please.....I am an electrician.  Baseboard heaters are not the way sheesh.  You lug all that crap out there for a baseboard heater, and all you get is  second rate way to half a$$ heat up your shanty.  I understand taking a generator out to wtch t.v. or listen to the radio....hell even satellite t.v.  Find another way to heat your shanty.......any other way...just DON'T sit here and tell me the wonders of a baseboard heater :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Maybe this wont be a problem with a generato,but I have had this happen at home. One time while unplugging it, I pulled the blades right out of the plug they were so hot.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Guys please.....I am an electrician.  Baseboard heaters are not the way sheesh.  You lug all that crap out there for a baseboard heater, and all you get is  second rate way to half a$$ heat up your shanty.  I understand taking a generator out to wtch t.v. or listen to the radio....hell even satellite t.v.  Find another way to heat your shanty.......any other way...just DON'T sit here and tell me the wonders of a baseboard heater :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

I dont htink anyone here said that BASEBOARD heaters were that wonderful. SPACEHEATERS will put out more heat faster. I personally thing wood is the ONLY way to go if you want it hot and dry!!!And cheap.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:20 PM »
it seems as though it is just as often windy as it is cold when i go ice fishing, so i think it would be cool to have a little windmill type of deal for a means of generating power on the ice.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:41 PM »
john I like your idea.....and as far as space heaters.....you would die in there!.....just imagine you have a thermostat on the heater.  You are jigging hard cuzz your graph just lit up.  And whoosh the heater kicks on and all the sudden you have nothing  on the end of your ;ine cuzz it melted  your line :clap:   the space heater is too much...try a kerosene heater or...wood heat  ;D
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:53 PM »
These put out alot of heat,but I dout they would fry your line when they kick in ;D ;D

PreperationH

« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:26 PM »
thats just more wieght you will be pullin,not to mention more money

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:01 PM »
I have a small generator that I can run on the ice to charge batteries and since I like drip coffee in the morning, I can plug my coffee maker in also.  ;D ;) For those that complain about noisy power augers, I also have a 13 hp Generac.  :woot: ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2007, 07:55 AM »
Here is my $.02.  Went to a junk yard and found a furnace out of a demoed camper.  Took all the line and wires too.( Less to buy later).  Put it in my shack, vented it outside and installed a thermostat.  Now I have regulated heat. my 20lb. propane tank is outside and I bought a CO2 detector for the shack.  I have a little over $50 into that unit.  NICE CONSTANT HEAT ;D ;D  No worries of dieing for deadly gas, no need to stock the fire or open the door when it gets too hot from the wood stove, no wood to cut or haul out each time.  The only down fall is the need for power.  The camper had an inverter so I grabbed that also!!!!! Volt lights and a furnace all on my trolling motor battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.