Author Topic: Coleman Sportcat Heater  (Read 6055 times)

Offline chevy343

• IceShanty Rookie
Coleman Sportcat Heater
« on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Has anyone ever used one of these heaters for heating ice tent and if so how did it work???

Thanks,Len

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Coleman Sportcat Heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:34 PM »
Has anyone ever used one of these heaters for heating ice tent and if so how did it work???

Thanks,Len
I have one and it works awesome........

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:36 PM »
I have one and it works awesome........
I think the SPORTCAT is nothing more than a glorified hand warmer... but if its all ya got, it will do the job!  :-\
Spend the extra coin and get a BUDDY heater instead!

Offline Yellow Belly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse 'em
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2006, 05:20 PM »
I totally agree. I had a Coleman black cat and exchanged it for a Buddy. There's no comparison.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:32 PM »
I used a blackcat/sports cat for years.They work fine for a day around 35 degrees.When the temps are in the teens or below they are not worth a dime.Go with a buddy heater,thats what I have now and they are worth the extra cash.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
Coleman Sportcat Heater vs. Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:22 PM »
chevy343,

The Sportcat puts out 1,500 BTU/Hour and Portable Buddy 4,000 & 9,000 BTU/HR. I'd rather carry the Mr. Heater even if it is more money.

The Mr. Heater Single Cooker Propane Heater is rated at 8,000, 12,000 and 14,000 BTU/HR and looks good if you ever want to heat food.

I bought a Coleman ProCat Portable (3,000 BTU) and wish I'd known about the Mr. Heater line back then. I'd have gotten one instead.

:tipup:

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

billybono

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:53 PM »
i agree....i picked up a colman focus 5 on ebay last year.....back up there it goes. with the crazy money the focus 5s go for at time, i should be able to put a buddy in my shack and some cash in my pocket  ;)

billybono

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I had a Black Cat. Actually, I still have it. It stays in the house with my camping gear. The portable buddy heater goes in my shack. As for being a glorified hand warmer, or not worth a dime; I disagree. I thought it worked okay. Just not as well as a buddy heater.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:26 AM »
The catalytic SportCat replaced the forced heat style Focus 3 in the Coleman line when someone decided "that style of heater isn't safe enough". I had a Focus 3 and it WORKED GREAT - then someone stold it out of the outhouse during deer hunting season and I had to replace it with what was available. The SportCat works fine for me in my Frabill UltraLite shanty while ice fishing or Ameristep Outhouse blind while deer hunting - it IS QUIET. I eventually was able to find a used Focus 3 on eBay and now have both available - along with Coleman lanterns and stoves burning propane, and a bunch of Coleman fuel burning lanterns, stoves, and heaters.

My dad and I used our old Coleman fuel catalytic heater for YEARS in our big shanty and often had to remove a few layers because it blasted the heat.

I guess it depends on how much heat you need for the size of the shanty you're using. My "glorified hand warmer" works fine for what I use it for but would definitely go with something with a higher BTU output for use in a bigger shanty.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

billybono

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:31 AM »
did that with the focus 5 also....there were lawsuits....i just saw a focus 5 on ebay ,non electric ignitoin go for 132.54  ......looks like im getting a buddy and some new jigs  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

billybono 

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:38 AM »
should do a search on this in the is forums as it has been asked b4.

I had one and returned it then later bought a buddy(for my portable shanty). You are right it is good for when it is not too cold to take the edge off. But for me a 32+ degree day is not a call to use any portable heater.

Fish hard = stay warm  ;)

Brian

billybono

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:35 PM »
well looks like my brother is in the market for a new buddy......tailgate opened up on the way home......well...not a pretty sight

billybono

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:32 PM »
I use the Sportcat and like it a lot when less heat is needed. It is not intended to give a lot of heat (like the Buddy Heater can). But they are very reliable and go just about all day on a cylinder of propane.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline PERCHEYE74

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BASSCOTT99 WONDERING HOW BUZZ CATCHES THE FISH
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2006, 01:12 PM »
I HAVE ONE AND AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL. YOU WILL FREEZE YOUR B@LLS OF IF IT IS BELOW 30 DEGREES!!!!!BOUGHT A MR.HEATER -HEATER COOKER COMBO- AND LOVE IT, ACTUALY TO HOT FOR MY 2 MAN FRABILL PULLOVER....

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2006, 01:44 PM »
I have a Mr. Heater, and find that it works too good.  My girlfriend and I fish in a Shapelle 3000 and it drives us out on most days.  The one nice thing about it is you can cook on it. Just remember to bring a truckload of those little bottles along with you.  We would sometimes use 3 or more in a full day of fishing, and at almost $3.00 each that's more than I care to spend.

Any way we just bought a Sportcat for the warmer days. Seems to work good. I've used it 2 different days now and haven't changed the bottle yet.  ;D

Dave
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Sportcat is crap. Took it to Canada with me this year. Couldn't keep up with the cold temps below 30 as mentioned, plus you can't cook on it. I tried - trust me.
Good for mild days just to take the chill off at most - other than that - useless.
Yes - you can run a tank for 2 days, but I would rather spend the extra dough on the propane and be able to stay warm and cook. At least to be able to thaw out the beers.

2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:10 PM »
The Sportcat is a very reliable and good quality unit. But it is not intended or rated for high heat output. I use mine as a handwarmer but when it gets cold I break out the Buddy Heater. The more heat you get, the faster you go through propane though ... goes with out saying.
My Sportcat lasts all day, I bring spare cylinders for the Buddy Heater.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

crowkiller

« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:32 PM »
i have the pro cat with the fan i love it works very well even in very cold weather

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.