Author Topic: Otter Sled Company - Bad Business !!!  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Otter Sled Company - Bad Business !!!
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:27 PM »
Anyone thinking about buying from this company beware. I posted about a "minor problem" with an on-line order I made for a sled, cover, runners, and a tow bar. They don't deal with problems well at all. I spent over $300.00 for a sled oufit and because I expect to get what I paid for, I'm treated like crap. If you do order from them and a mistake is made at their end with the order, somehow they will make sure you feel you are at fault. Here are the correspondences (copied / pasted from my e-mail) :

I ordered (online) the Otter II medium sled (black), the hyfax
runner
> kit, tow bar, and black cover. I have now received all parcels but
there
> is a problem with the cover. It is marked as being black but is
actually
> a dark green. I would like to know how soon you can send me the
correct
> color cover for my black medium sled. Also, does this mean I pay
twice
> for shipping (to return the green one)?
>
> Please advise.

Therir first response:
Nick,  you did receive the right cover. The catalogs were completed
and
> so were all the labels for the covers before we could switch the
> description
> on the cover to say green.  Its the same cover just a deeper color
> green. Really should be no problem.
>
> Steve

My response:
So does this mean that you do not have a cover that is actually black?
I
have to ask because the sled is black, the decal on the side of the
sled is
black, yellow and purple. The green cover with yellow print just plain
does
not match. I copied and pasted the following from your website today:

Protect the gear you haul with our Otter II Small Sled Travel Cover!
Heavyweight fabric is extremely durable and waterproof, and features a
shock
cord sewn into the hem to seal out snow, slush, water, and mud.

The cover is designed to fit the sled alone, or over the sled with the
fish
house and bench seat attached!

COLORS AVAILABLE:
Small, Large, Village, X-large Covers = BLACK

Medium & Magnum Covers = BLACK or SHADOW GRASS

I ordered a black cover and I expect a black cover.
Your move.

Their response to that:
Nick, your obviously more into fashion than acutal performance!!  The
covers are designed to work for just the sled as well as for the house.
We are currently out of stock for this particular size cover but we are
supposed to get more soon.  They may even be black!  If you want to
exchange the cover then I would suggest not using yours and checking
back with us in a week or so to see if there in.  If they're in at that
time we can do a swap.

Steve 

Hmmm ...
If you guy's decide to keep doing business with these kind of people, I'm wishing you all the best of luck ...

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

billybono

Re: Otter Sled Company - Bad Business !!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:00 PM »
WOW...im not impressed at all. hopefully some more people will post about how rediculus this sounds, then make them take notice...i wouldthink for the kind of coin these covers command, they would be as advertised

billybono

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Nick, your obviously more into fashion than acutal performance!!

Even though they can't spell I agree with the sentiment.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Why do you care about the cover color? Yes I know you dropped some coin on it, but c'mon, if there was 1 possible thing that could be wrong with the order that I would care least about, it would be cover color.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Why do you care about the cover color? Yes I know you dropped some coin on it, but c'mon, if there was 1 possible thing that could be wrong with the order that I would care least about, it would be cover color.

If you had any idea how I dress you would know that fashion is nowhere in the picture with me. The main issue being that I'm now in my 50's. I fished, hunted, basically did everything starting from scratch and lived through my personal tough times keeping my priorities straight. Such as the days not that many years ago where heat in my house through the winter months was a luxury I did not have on many days of those seasons. I paid my child support and also gave my last dollars to my daughter when there were some things she needed and did without many things I did need (heat, groceries, decent clothing, seek medical attention when I needed it, etc.) and never gave it a second thought. I have worked very hard to have a few real luxuries now and just expect to get what I am actually paying for and not setteling for getting taken advantage of anymore.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:46 PM »
And by the way,
I just submitted a complaint to the BBB so they can settle this. I won't get into an argument over it. I only want what I paid for.
 :tipup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Lobes...no one is looking for an argument here.  I'm just saying that when it comes to fighting with a company...the color of my cover is not something I would waste my time over.  Thats all.  I hope the BBB settles everything out for you.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:53 PM »
I got an Otter hut the end of last year on what they called a fire sale. I didn't get to use it at all then but did use it several times this year and love it. The thing is, when it came to me I spent probably 4 or 5 hours cleaning it up. I almost looked like it was in a fire. There was so much grease and grime all over the aluminum poles and props it was ridiculous. I don't know if other companies stuff would be like that or not? I can tell you this much, if I had a business trying to sell huts they would have to clean them before I would try to sell their stuff. If you had to pay someone to clean them the price would be much higher than it is. I did send them an e-mail about it but got no response.
        Jim

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Lobes...no one is looking for an argument here.  I'm just saying that when it comes to fighting with a company...the color of my cover is not something I would waste my time over.  Thats all.  I hope the BBB settles everything out for you.

Hey, don't read me wrong guy's. Didn't intend for any of you to think I don't want to hear your honest opinions. Because that's what I really like about this group. I hope anyways, I can count on you blasting me if I am wrong. I take constructive criticism very well (even if it's not necessarily what I don't want to hear). My best friends know they can tell me where the bears crap in the buckwheat (putting it politely) in order to set me straight. I just didn't want to get in an e-mail argument with the folks at Otter Outdoors so I went to BBB to be the mediators. If you check out the first e-mail I sent them I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt of an honest mistake. Then they responded as though they expected me to not even know any better. Then their final input was a real push. That's where I got off the e-mail war. As I said, all I'm interested in is getting what I paid for. And I didn't think I was paying for a run around. I get those free at work!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:34 PM »
I think you have a good complaint, hell you paid the big bucks for it and you want it right. The company should have said,  keep the cover we sent you and use it, when the right one comes in we'll send it to ya and sorry for the mix up. God I love my otter magnum, the square tubing extends out so much easier than the fish traps.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:01 AM »
I've been looking at Otter sleds and ice houses for 4-5 months now, so far their product is at the top of my list when I decide to cough up my HARD earned cash.  This isn't the first time I've heard negative things about Otter's customer service and now I'm having second thoughts about purchasing any of their products!

Any company that treats their customers like that arrogant stroke Steve did, won't see a 1 cent of my money-period!  You DESERVE the product that you ordered in the COLOR you ordered. 

Now I can see a company making a mistake and shipping the wrong color and if your OK with it fine, but if you want said color they owe you the product in whatever color you ordered.  If they ran out or discontinued a product a refund should be offered or (at the very least they should have notified you of the change or shortage) in your case maybe a green sled to match your green cover ;D.

I've been screwed before by companies and to hear such reports, especially when you don't hear many singing praises about the service certainly has my ears perked and the red flag is :tipup:.  There are plenty of quality products by companies that will give you their best, those are the companies that will see my money.

Good luck Lobes and sorry for my rant. 

-Grizz

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:05 AM »
I bet a copy of this thread would get Otters attention... ??? ??? ;D

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:36 AM »
I think that Lobes has every right to be upset.  There is a little thing called "truth in advertising".  If they ran into a problem with a supplier, they should have called you to offer up a few suggestions of how they could make it right.  Whether they gave you a matching green sled, or told you they would send the black when it arrived with a discount.  These people need to realize that they are not competition free.  We have other options, and we're not afraid to use them.
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:03 AM »
I'm with Lobes on this.If you paid for a black one you should get a balck one...PERIOD.Makes you wonder how many other people have just settled for the green and it has nothing to do with fashion,Don't let them shank ya Lobes....

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:52 AM »
This is for all you guy's that think he should take it and be happy. If you order some chubby darters or something and they come in a different color than you ordered and wanted, do you keep them? I don't think so!
     Jim

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:15 PM »
but I'm not using my Otter cover to attract fish like I am the chubbie darters
Pete Lewis

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:20 PM »
I took the liberty of sending Otters this thread to see if it would help resolve the issue....this was the email I just received:

Jerry,

I have emailed the gentleman with the cover issue and we will be
sending him a black one as soon as they come in at no charge.  We had
black covers earlier in the season and we overlooked changing the
description on the website when they ran out and we switched over to the
green.
Their were both good and bad comments on the forum for Otter Outdoors
so try to look at both sides of the issue.
We do try very hard to keep our customers happy but sometimes things
are missed or overlooked.  We do make a quality, durable product that
will last for years.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Kevin Ziebarth
Vice President
Otter Outdoors

Hopefully this will be beneficial to everyone...

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:38 PM »
I love how something actually gets accomplished "well, a promise anyway" once a company realizes they could actually be negatively affecting possible customers.

Hope it works out for ya!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:53 PM »
I got the e-mail from their VP (I'll paste below). I did send a reply regarding the real root of the problem that tripped my trigger in the first place which was the kind of demeanor I was dealt by their customer service department.
I  appreciate the support I was given by you guy's especially in expressing how you guy's saw both sides and letting me know that point blank. That's the way real friends do it.

Hopefully, this will nudge folks at Otter Outdoors to see there is a crack that needs to be filled in their relations with customers.

Here's the note I received today:

Nick,

Our apologies on the color of your cover.  The description should have
been changed on the web site and the label but was overlooked.  We did
have some black covers in stock earlier in the year so it should have
gotten changed after that.
  We do have some black covers that are supposed to be here on Monday.
Once we receive them we will send you a new cover and have the other one
picked up at no charge.  Feel free to use the green cover until the new
one arrives.  Again, our apologies on the cover. 

Sincerely,

Kevin Ziebarth
Vice President
Otter Outdoors

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:08 PM »
two cheers Lobes....keep up the fight and eventually you'll win the fight...congratulation s
It's all about Karma.....

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:23 PM »
I bet "Steve" had a really, really bad day at work today.   :)  Good for him.  I know if he worked for me, I'd have his a$$ in a sling for treating a customer in that manner.

Eight simple words for situations like this:

"I'd like to speak to your boss, please."

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:11 PM »
I just starting reading this thread and good for you lobes. Its nice to see that the customer is still important and you deserved to get what you paid for, and you shouldn't have to fight for it. Guys like you remind companies that customer service is important. Congrats again :) 

Good to see the little guy win ;)

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:47 AM »
When you stick to your guns and keep a cool head, look what can be done. Good for you Lobes :)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:09 PM »
Way to go Lobes! A lot of these people think that if they make it a hassle for you to get what you ordered you will just give up and live with what they sent you. Maybe if these people were informed that you could have bought something made in China cheaper than their American made product they would put their brains in motion. I bet Steve's supervisor enjoyed getting his butt chewed by his manager. Maybe they found some Chinese made donut shaped bandages for his a$$. If he worked for me he would have needed them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JeBa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:09 AM »
I bought my small Otter sled & Hyfax kit from Thorne Bros. They have been great to deal with for any purchase I've made so far!
I also think they were cheaper than buying direct from Otter Outdoors.

Jeff  :)

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Shut!!  I ordered a pink sled and it came in black.   :D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:33 PM »
I am speachless. Kinda,but im gonna keep my mouth shut. ::)

stump

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Lobes:  I am really glad things worked out for you. 

You should receive what you ordered.  Otter should have contacted you informing you that the black cover was out of stock and inquired as to whether or not you would be willing to accept another color...........not assume you would be ok with it (especially after you purchased all the additional items including the sled!).

I have dealt with Otter in the past and can tell you that getting satisfaction is dependent on what rep picks up the phone. 

Someone in an earlier post suggested some excellent advice:  "Can I speak to your supervisor please?"
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:28 AM »

I would care if the color I ordered was wrong.  If I spent the money on what I wanted, I expect to get what I ordered.  These businesses have to cater to their customers or the word will get out like it did here.  Bigredonice, you mean to tell me if you ordered something say a vehicle in black and it came in pink you would not be upset?  I know it is a different scenario but it is not what he wanted.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2006, 11:09 AM »
At least they should have offered a substitute color at a reduced price.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.