Author Topic: ice scoop  (Read 4500 times)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice scoop
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I have seen those ice scoops that fold up as you push them down the hole ,then open up on the way up.
They have a 6inch and a 8 inch model but not a 10 inch model.
 Anyone have one and are they any good ?
 Anyone modify one for a 10 inch hole ?
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline SDLipRipper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice scoop
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:39 PM »
My friend uses one for his permy. Seems to work pretty good but personally it seems a little gimmicky.

Offline Spaz163

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:50 PM »
The Flipper Dipper, yes I have one. Picked it up last year and if you have never used one, you are missing out. All my other fishing buddies went and bought one after they used mine. The only way to clean a hole!!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Unless it's sub zero and strong winds I just use my hand. Never failed me yet!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2015, 02:59 AM »
I love mine! Cleans hole faster after drilling, than traditional skimmer.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:47 AM »
I have the "Flipper Dipper" and it is OK. I had trouble with it freezing up and not opening very well after you put it down the hole. I bought this one, the "One Shot Skimmer". I like it much better and you can change the size from 6 to 8 to 10 if you use different augers.

http://www.deepfreezefishing.com/product/one-shot-skimmer-pro-edition/

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Picked up flipper  it was -35  and it worked ok except it was a little small for a 10 inch hole.
An hour later I cut a new hole and found the flipper frozen in the closed position ,tried to open it but felt the plastic  was going to break  as i heard they break from a customer at Cabela's when I bought it......this item going back to store
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2015, 02:33 PM »
I have the "Flipper Dipper" and it is OK. I had trouble with it freezing up and not opening very well after you put it down the hole. I bought this one, the "One Shot Skimmer". I like it much better and you can change the size from 6 to 8 to 10 if you use different augers.

http://www.deepfreezefishing.com/product/one-shot-skimmer-pro-edition/

I made my own one shot (I think 6 bucks worth of parts) and I made it longer so you don't have to stoop at all to get out the ice even with over 36" of ice  ;D.

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2015, 02:42 PM »
DTro Is having a give away check it out
&feature=youtu.be

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:30 PM »
I made my own one shot (I think 6 bucks worth of parts) and I made it longer so you don't have to stoop at all to get out the ice even with over 36" of ice  ;D.

Any chance you can post a pic, I enjoy home made "tools of the trade"!

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Those are nice but how long does it take to scoop out a hole? What 20 Seconds. Is that too long?
<===Lefty===

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Any chance you can post a pic, I enjoy home made "tools of the trade"!

I will post a photo of the prototype a little later once I get the kids to bed.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Sorry it took so long.

First run with odds and ends in the garage and a $1.50 cutting board.  Works great and doesn't freeze up even at -40.  If I didn't promise it to my FB than I likely wouldn't be bothering to make a more refined one.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:17 PM »
Those are nice but how long does it take to scoop out a hole? What 20 Seconds. Is that too long?

For me it's a 10 inch hole, 4 feet of ice... a lot longer than 20 seconds and it often continues to come to the surface for quite awhile (+1 hour) after drilling.  So far been very impressed with the little mock up I did and we're at 2 feet of ice now.  I think it will really shine in a month or so as we pass 3 feet.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:06 AM »
That's a great job. I think I will try to make one that is longer than my "one shot" for thicker ice. You may have your own "Smitty Sled" thing going here. You should give it a name.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Picked one of these up from Cabelas this year and it is awesome. The only thing I don't like is that it is plastic.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:45 PM »
That's a great job. I think I will try to make one that is longer than my "one shot" for thicker ice. You may have your own "Smitty Sled" thing going here. You should give it a name.

Lol... a longer "one-shot" = "the long shot"!! Maybe I should leave the naming up to you guys as you're much more creative than I.  A naming contest! 

When I complete the second run I'll post another picture and thanks for the compliment.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:12 PM »
I clean 90% of the whole with the auger then the other 10% with my bait net.  I have waterproof boots and pants so splashing water and ice doesn't bother me.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:53 PM »
Slush Inhaler

I just got a Slush Inhaler for xmas from my wife, and love it for my perm. shack.  you can drill the holes and scoop all the shavings back in the hole.  Drop the slush inhaler in and lift handle (flips the flippers that catch the ice) and up comes 90% of the shavings the first time.  Was a pain in the a== to have to dip all them out before, I cant believe how fast it clears holes.  But I would only use it in the perm.  shack, outside just drilling holes I don't see the need for it then you don't get that many shavings in the holes that way.  For a perm shack in my opinion it is the only way to go to get a ton of ice shavings out of the hole really really fast.

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I bought a couple of the "one shot skimmer pro" from deep freeze, just received them today. Nice product. It seems like a genius idea to me. Can't wait to try them.

Offline fishallday15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:54 PM »
I have been looking for a good ice scoop too.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:17 AM »
The Flipper Dipper, yes I have one. Picked it up last year and if you have never used one, you are missing out. All my other fishing buddies went and bought one after they used mine. The only way to clean a hole!!

Not a gimmick, works great.  They should offer an aluminum scoop tho'.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:39 PM »
When I bought a One Shot, I was surprised to learn that my 8-inch Nils hand auger actually cuts a 7-5/8 inch hole.  No biggie but it required a little modification of the 8-inch (originally 7-11/16", now 7-1/2") One Shot. That was before seeing that they now offer custom sizes.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:43 PM »
Have had my "one shot" out a couple trips now. Really like it, definitely better than a traditional scoop in my opinion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.