Author Topic: Stren ICE line-had problems,  (Read 4485 times)

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Stren ICE line-had problems,
« on: Dec 12, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Picked up some 3lb. stren ice this yr. Spooled up, in the house,12/9, went fishing next morn. had twisted, kinky line right off the bat on both reels. I been spooling up reels for 37yrs. & seen this problem before, inferior line. Went home, spooled up with a different spool of same line, next day, same problem, & it was warmer outside @30f. I,ve used stren for yrs. on open water & always been pleased, for some reason I like a little stretch in my line. Needless to say, its back to trilene micro-ice for me, just wonderin if anyone else had same line & problems. TIGHT LINES TO ALL!

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stren ICE line-had problems,
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 01:07 PM »
I am sooooo tired of twisted kinky mono.  I bought some Vanish for summer fishing because a friend of mine told me it was the best.  No twist nothing.  Well the first cast a huge clump went out the eyes.  I spent the entire summer untangling it.  I hate mono fishing line.

Last year I used Trilene Micro Ice and had the same problems.  It coiled so bad I missed all kinds of panfish.  This year I went back to Fireline Ice.  It is a little stiffer but it won't coil or twist.  Can't wait to get out this weekend to try it out.  I will definitely use Fireline in the summer this year as well.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Same here..have not tried STREN yet, but after the issues I had with vanish in the summer...(I stripped a spool on its first trip out)...and then the Blue Trilene last winter..the stuff was garbage. Since then I have been going braid or bust..but this season I though I would give Trilene Micro one more shot...I'll let you know how it works out..

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:27 PM »
Cajun Ice-the answer to all fishing problems...doesnt tangle during open water either

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:31 PM »
I have been looking for that stuff..anybody know where I can get some..probably on-line...I have yet to see it in Canada.

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:13 PM »
Fisherie.com   I have used the regular cajun and had a lot of trouble with coiling in spring weather. Tried it on different spinning reels with same results. Have not tried ice version. I like the McCoy mean green lines.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:34 PM »
That fisherie.com site just takes you to fishusa.com..which is a great site but it does not carry Cajun Ice line..anybody else know where to purchase this on-line...I did see the Mean Green line and it it top of mind

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Make sure you guys are spooling the line on your reel the same way its coming off the spool of line. If your spooling it up opposite you will have big problems. Also make sure your drag is good and tight when spooling up a little bit of slipping and it will get twisted.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:56 PM »
i had the same problem with the sten bought it went home spooled up one of my rods with it and it was all good.  2 days later took it out fishin and it was like a spring i have never seen line that was that bad even after years of being on a reel.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:47 PM »
i had the same problem with spiderwire mono. stuff was crap. twisted all to hell!

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:08 PM »
i had the same problem with spiderwire mono. stuff was crap. twisted all to hell!
...only one product...SpiderWireSt ealth......teflon coated.........rough as heck on handlining...but superlimp.....non absorbent.......and tough as nails......Grump

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:22 PM »
My personal opinion is I think it is old line that has been on the shelf for a while, I always pull from the back, stores are trying to get rid of their old stock, so yhey put the old stuff out front. I have had the same problem with stren and berkley.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2005, 02:42 PM »
Well all you Stren Lovers out there will not be too happy. I just heard Stren was bought out by Berkley. The old Stren line was made by Remington. This is what I was told so take it as it is. I have a order in for some new line called Tectan comes fron a real reliable sorce that this is good stuff for icefishing. We'll see.
Cold Feet

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Cajun Ice-the answer to all fishing problems...doesnt tangle during open water either
Picked up some cajun ice red, 3&4lb.,went out today & was well pleased with its performance. 3lb. was silky smooth, 4lb. iced up a little but no more than normal & I could see it real well to tie on new jigs, will definately get a few more spools of 3lb. Thanks for the tip NickP!          TIGHT LINES TO ALL!

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:10 AM »
i've never had good luck with stren myself. neither summer or winter. i'm a trilene man for sure. but as one poster stated, make sure you're winding it on correctly. laying the spool flat, either face up or down depending on which way it's wound on the spool. a good way to check, is to lay it flat, and take the line in both hands, about a foot apart. then put your hands together and see how bad it wraps around itself. if it's bad, flip the spool over, pull off a couple feet and try it again. go with the one that wraps or kinks the least. there's usually a little diagram on how to do this in the box. ironically, i didn't know about this for years. i used to put the spool on a nail or something and just let it spin like a wheel while i wound it on. wondered why i always had kinked up line...  ::)

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Glad I spooled with P-line this year...No problems with it yet.
Andrew

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2006, 07:48 AM »
I like Pole Cat line made by Mason for my panfishing through the ice. Very strong and no coiling problems.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:33 PM »
All I use for panfish in the winter is stren 2lb yellow and never had no trouble with it. It is not the best mono, very streachy, but being a line watcher I have yet to find anything better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.