Author Topic: ATV's Cold weather running  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
ATV's Cold weather running
« on: Jan 18, 2005, 01:34 PM »
I'm looking at a 2005 John Deere 650. Does anyone own a JD and if you do how's does it run in the cold weather? I just don't want to be stranded out there with a machine that won't run.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Re: ATV's Cold weather running
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2005, 02:19 PM »
The John Deere Trail Buck 650 is actually just a Bombardier Quest 650 in deere's clothing :P I just thought I'd clarify this, because John Deere is new to the ATV market, so people may be more familiar with the Bombardier.

-Zach

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Camp Bassfish,

I found two things with quads. First they take some time to warm up, (be patient)
Second and most important. make sure it has a pull start secondary to your battery & starter,
If the quad your looking at is an automatic.  I fish alone a lot and a dead battery out in the middle
of a cold lake is no fun at 3am.

Just my 2 cents

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Very good point P&E, a recoil backup is a must. And yes, ATVs are very cold blooded, so give them plenty of time to warm up.

-Zach

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Heard anything bad about the Bombardier? Recoil is in place. I don't trust batteries.

gillchaser83

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:22 PM »
I used to work for a dealers ship who sold bombardier, they are a strong running 4 wheeler, nice buy.

Offline walleye190

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • first laker
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2005, 04:15 PM »
i always go with the left and right foot. they are always ready, don't need to much warm up time.  ;D tight lines

Offline IceWeasel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • flyfish all spring, ice fish all winter!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2005, 06:33 PM »
Cold weather is nothing for a can of starting fluid! 
Last year my school (teacher not student) was cancelled (due to the cold).  I took my 3 wheeler and shanty to silver lake.  It started right up.....but there was a film of ice, then 4" of slush, then 6" of ice.  Anyone know where this is going???
Anyway, the slush froze to the wheeler!  It was a popsicle!  couldnt shift, brakes stuck on, choke froze...
but she ran fine!  warmed her up till I could get the ice off!
Mine is a 1983....I am sure a 2005 will do exactly what you want it to do.
I got lucky...I married a woman who fishes!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:06 PM »
my father's 1991 suzuki kind quad runs a little rough in the cold weather, but its starts everytime, as long as i fill'er up with premium and put drygas in there ...not bad for an old quad with 2000 miles - the majority of which were while plowing - have still never had a mechanical malfuntion with it.

bolton iceman

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Buy a Honda]

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:51 PM »
I have a 2005 polaris magnum 4x4 -- starts hard when its cold and is very finicky
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2005, 08:30 PM »
I run a 98 Honda Forman 400 that has never failed me. In below 0 temps I always let it warm up a few minutes but no special treatment. Beat it over 11,000 rough miles in the 5 years I've owned it, and other than the normal things like a set of tires,  new battery, a seat, oil, filters, and a new plug once a year, I have never had to do a thing to it.   

Had a 88 Honda 2 wheel drive quad that the motor was strong but would always break the H frame driving over rough frozen ground. The new frames are much better.

iceman480

« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2005, 10:12 PM »
Yeah buy a zhonda I have one it it has never let me down no matter how cold it is.

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2005, 04:06 PM »
I just bought a 05 outlander.  After owning ski-doo`s and liking them I thought that the innovations in the outlander and the fact that it was made by Bombardier would be a winning combo.  I was right, the outlander is an excellent machine and I believe that it will be as user friendly as my 96 Honda.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:28 PM »
My wife has a Yamaha kodiak 400 and is cold blooded too.
 My son has a new Suzuki Eiger and that too is cold blooded
 Blame it on the EPA
Once warmed upboth these ATV's run great

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2005, 02:35 AM »
I have a 2003 Bombardier Traxter XL and it has never failed me, even in the coldest weather. Excellant machine. By the way, its for sale because I just bought a 2005 Bombardier Traxter 650. Will let you know how it does in the cold but I dont anticipate any problems. Any ATV that is not equipped with a pull starter back up, like this one, should be equipped with a battery tender which is cheap and will extend the batteries life. Still should always have a set of jumpers in case of an emergency though. I also always have a battery charger at camp that I can plug into my generator.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I have used a Polaris 4x4 Sportsman 400 extensively in forestry work.  This rig was heavily used when I got it in 1997 (I believe its a 1994), but it is a good ATV.  Always starts and runs good, even when its too cold (or hot) to want to sit on it.  Unbelievably tough, been used/abused by some forestry techs that are more used to operating heavy equipment.  Rolled several times at least.  Has worked on untold timber sales and wildland fires.  Many tough miles in the back of trucks that don't count on the odometer.  If the Govt would sell it, I would buy it today.  If I were to buy an ATV, I would get one just like it (and I have tried plenty of other ATVs - we also have Suzuki, Arctic Cat, and Kawasaki ATVs). 

Its prefers a new spark plug and air filter periodically, but other than that we have had no problems with it.  I'm a big guy, around 280, and this machine has plenty of power to get my big ass, with gear, up the hill.

A mill rep I work with says the same about an old Honda ATV he drives at work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.