Author Topic: Whats you got for a headlamp  (Read 4412 times)

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Whats you got for a headlamp
« on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:28 PM »
I am currently using a petzal 3 led headlamp but I find it hard to see my line 4lb and under at night and its getting on my nerves a bit. I think the led light is to white or something I have better luck with my flashlight any suggestions

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Re: Whats you got for a headlamp
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:28 PM »
this is what i use and it works very well.  the zoom feature is very handy as well.
http://www.kerailhead.com/pp/ke-hlfc115-led.asp
]

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:41 PM »
The best headlamp i have found for long distance or close up work is a black diamond http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/icon-headlamp

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:58 AM »
I hope I don't come off sounding like a snob here, but all my lighting gear is by Surefire. This is the best headlamp I have ever used: http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2011, 07:40 AM »
The black diamond and surefire are both 100 lumens and the railhead is 115...any of which is very bright.  I used to have wired 12v lights in my trap....no longer. headlamps are the greatest thing ever if fishing in a flipover...especially since the LED.
]

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:57 PM »
I purchased a petzl and hate it. They are way overpriced for what they are. Hate the blue light too. You can get  a better light nowdays. dont get sucked in like i did and pay $60 for plastic and the name

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:56 PM »
To each his own.  I love my petzl my dad loves his to.  maybe we got flukes!

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Love my Petzl Tikkas, have 2 and we use them for everything, including biking.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Can't go wrong with the Princeton Tec EOS.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:16 PM »
I just use the Energizer 3 watt LED headlight from Wally World. You can but two or three of them for the price of the high end lights. I have one in each of my vehicles, my fishing gear, snowmobile, and camping stuff. I couldn't afford that many Petzl lights.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:32 PM »
To each his own.  I love my petzl my dad loves his to.  maybe we got flukes!

I bought mine a few years ago ....maybe they have a better quality petzl now. Just cant see much with the blue hue of the light. I see at Home Depot they have a $20 eveready that is super bright with larger bulbs.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:46 PM »
i have used an enigizer 6 led haed lamp for the past 4 years. it's the only one i have ever used and no complaints about it.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Really like my Princeton Tec Quad.  Lots of light for the sale price I got it for.

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I have an older style princeton tec that was a 3 LED model with the ring to turn it on. It's still going strong and now it's screwed to my welding hood for night work. I have a Black Diamond that has been my favorite for a few years and has given me zero trouble. I lose it from time to time and it currently eludes me again.  It has one brighter led in the middle and two larger area lighting LEDs on either side of it. My only complaint might be having the battery pack on the back of my head and the cord assocaited with it but that is not that big of a deal. My newest is a Princeton Tec and it would be great if it stayed on! >:( It has a switch and you can choose which bulb or bulbs you want on and a dimmer level for each by holding it down but it flickers and goes off at the most inopportune times! The brightest beam has kind of a yellow hue to it so that might make it easier to see your line. I keep meaning to e-mail Princeton Tec about it but I forget... I haven't used anything but LED headlamps in the shanty but have never had any troubles seeing stuff in the shanty. Hope this helps.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:16 PM »
I bought a Petzl E91 PE Tikkina 2 Headlamp new off Amazon for $18

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:23 PM »
I have two petzals, fancy one that crapped out after about 5 years, it had 3 or 5 leds and then a halogen, batteries on back.  here it is http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/myo-series/myobelt-sb-5
It got heavy use....thought it would last longer but oh well.  Have another petzal just leds and it still works great. 

Work buys Streamlight ones for us http://www.labsafety.com/search/head+lamp/24537780/96229/?isredirect=true
They work well and are lightweight.  The halogen light doesn't last too long on only three AAAs, but the two LED settings will go forever.  They've taken considerable abuse....pretty good headlamp for the money, IMO. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.