Author Topic: Leaving Bail Open Question  (Read 4553 times)

trapperdirk

Leaving Bail Open Question
« on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:21 PM »
Ok fellow hardwater anglers . I like to sometimes just deadstick a rod but leave the bail open so a fish can run with the bait . Now what I do is tie a piece of flagging tape on the line and stuff this in the rod tip to hold the line at a certain depth but this is not the greatest because often the line just slides through the tape and goes to the bottom and also if I'm fighting a fish the tape jams in the rod eyes . Is there a clip or something that will hold the line at a certain depth and that I can leave the bail open with .? Any ideas or inventions I will be greatly thankful for .

TD

Mr.G

Re: Leaving Bail Open Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:26 PM »
What I normally do is run a bobber that will just support the weight of my lure/bait with a bobber stop on top of the bobber.  This way I can not only leave the bail open and have the bait set at a certain depth, but also have the ease of adjustment for different fishing depths.  The problem you can run into is some people do not like having bobbers because the fish may be able to feel the weight of the bobber when it grabs the bait - problem or not this is the best method I have found.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2004, 04:53 AM »
Trapperdirk, Try to wrap a rubber band on the rod just above the spool. Then tuck a loop of line under the band pulling the line snug from the spool to prevent the wind from pulling the line off. it works pretty well for ice or soft water. Good Luck. Bob

Offline Brampton Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2004, 06:44 AM »
 :thumbsup:I bought one of those bait runners that the carp fisherman use...works great and you don't have to leave your bail open & take a chance on your line getting all tangled up!!!!!!! ;) Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt and fish in heaven, then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2004, 06:45 AM »
trapper , this is not a quick or cheap fix but is a sweet rig.okumas baitfeeder reels have two drags one for bait and one for fish.you can set the bait drag just enough to hold the bait from taking line,then when the fish takes it he can take all the line he wants till you crank the handle then it clicks over to the fish drag.i use the larger ones for striperfishing and they are awesome reels

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11139_Okuma_EB_Epixor_Baitfeed_Spinning_Series_EB20EB30EB50EB65EB.html

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I use a baitrunner reel made by shimano not cheap but works great. The reel also has a click to it so you can hear the line going out!! :tipup:
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2004, 10:49 PM »
I often leave my bail open too. I always hold the rod with my line between my index finger and grip.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 12:22 PM »
I leave the bail open while dead bait fishing for pike. I just make a slipknot with a loop between the reel and the first eyelet (make a loop and push another loop through it, slightly tighten the first loop). When the fish picks it up I can see how far the loop has moved, usually about six feet. The fish can't feel any resistance from this loose knot moving through the eyelets. The slipknot comes out with no kinks when I set the hook.
Keep it simple!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2005, 08:16 AM »
Well thankyou for all your suggestions lads and I think I may look into getting a couple of those baitrunner reels but in the meantime that idea of using the elastic should do the trick . ;D I've used many different techniques before  and they all have worked to some degree to get the job done right down to just backing off on the drag .Tightlines.

TD

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2005, 09:20 AM »
The baitrunners we use for carp fishing are all too large to fit little ice fishing rods so the elastics are probably the easiest solution.  You could try taking the drag right off a spinning reel (that works for carping too) but when you get a take and have to tighten it it can be a little hectic unless you have a rear drag.  The quality of a reel (specifically how many bearings you've got) will become very critical when you try to use it in 'freespool' like that.  Some can be really smooth, though.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Dirk, backing off on the drag is what I do when deadsticking.  I use openface spinning reels.  I back off just enough so that there is enough tension to support the bait.  I realize this wouldn't work too well when fishing heavy baits.  I mainly use it with three inch shiners while deadsticking walleyes.  Sometimes I'll use it for rainbows with a splitshot and a little powerbait.  The weight sits on bottom and the bait floats about a foot up.  When a fish picks it up I let him run with it until he stops.  Then I tighten up the drag to the desired tension, reel the slack, feel for the fish, then set the hook.  Sometimes with bows you have to do this during the fish's intitial run or he'll spit the hook if you wait too long.  I wouldn't practice this method on fish you plan to release, or on waters where there are slot size limits or C&R regs as the hook often ends up in the fish's gullet.  When fishing situations like these I would recommend the use of quick strike rigs...

Trevor

trapperdirk

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2005, 02:52 PM »
My baitcasters actually work decent in freespool too just by tightening up the magnet side a bit to keep the bait wherever I want it the only thing I like and prefer is those little ultra lite open face rods and reels . Nothing like seeing them rods turn into a big "C". lol ;D .

TD

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:05 AM »
a baitrunner will allow you to basically "back off the drag" but return it to fighting position with a turn of the handle!!they make them small enough for ice and light rods!thay work awesome. i use the big ones for stripers in the spring summer and fall and swear by them!!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2005, 01:30 PM »
I would use a rear drag reel or baitcaster with a baitclicking function and mark the depth with a slip bobber stop. I'd like to see the baitrunners made for smaller rods cause the one i have for catfishing is massive. i think the reel weighs somewhere around 32 oz.

my awesomely dirty floor  :-[

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:14 PM »
john its an Okuma EB20 it only weighs 12 oz. nice reel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.