Author Topic: Fireline Crystal Micro Ice  (Read 3003 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fireline Crystal Micro Ice
« on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Has anyone used this line? I picked up a box of the clear 2# and clear 4#. Figured I would put it on my ultra light and light rods for gills and crappie. It says the 2# is supposed to have the equivalent diameter of 1/2# mono and the 4# is supposed to have the diameter of 1# mono. I was just wondering if anyone has used it before and what your thoughts were on it.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Fireline Crystal Micro Ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:52 AM »
I have used it on the ice and in open water, not a huge fan personally. It frays easier then any other braid I have used, and holds enuff water to firm up on the spool.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:55 AM »
I have used it on the ice and in open water, not a huge fan personally. It frays easier then any other braid I have used, and holds enuff water to firm up on the spool.

When fishing outside of the shack it also ices up really fast at the water line while jigging. Fin

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Well thats not what I was hoping to hear  :-\. I really liked the strength to diameter ratio. My plan was to only use 30 to 50 feet and back it with 20 to 30 feet of mono. Not sure if this will effect it firming up on the spool with not spooling the whole reel with it.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Well thats not what I was hoping to hear  :-\. I really liked the strength to diameter ratio. My plan was to only use 30 to 50 feet and back it with 20 to 30 feet of mono. Not sure if this will effect it firming up on the spool with not spooling the whole reel with it.
From past experience using Fireline you'll want to back the spool with mono first.  I didnt on one of my reels and what ends up happening the fireline will loosen on the spool a little then the line will spin on the spool seeing it has no stretch and is very slippery. Happened to myself and a friend of mine.  It will also save you alot of money not spooling the whole reel.  Fin

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Hi -

I have not used the Fireleine in those tests but have/do use the slightly heaviers versions.  The line does freeze up due to holding water when fishing outside (which is all I have done - until the upcoming season that is - OH YEAH, can you say "1st shanty" my friends).  I did not find the freeze up too much of a problem at first as I was knew to it all and breaking off a chunk of ice or thawing the line with my hands was not a big deal to me.  This became a bit more of a drag as time went on though.  I think I am going to fill a few spools with some mono or ice fluoro for the outside action and give that a try for comparison.  I use Fireline for almost everything in open water (with fluoro leader) and love it.  Had a buddy use some of the 1/2 lb diamter stuff on a trip a couple of years ago and it was breaking on him (perch we think).  I didn't understand it at the time but have since convinced myself that the line was becoming frayed by rubbing a gainst the edge of the hole.  The line was just too thin (my 0.02) I think.  I also worry about having the line frreze up on the spool and as a result the spool/drag not slipping smoothly or when it should and breaking off fish as a result.

Tight lines and hard water.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:23 PM »
i used this line last year on my reel with my st croix legend rod, it frays really easily and builds ice up on it really easily too, i wouldnt buy it again

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I use it for fishing deep.  It works ok.

You need to be careful if you are fishing for Crappie or Whitefish. 

No stretch means you can tear the hooks out easier.

It has it's uses, but is not a cure all.

Sorry.

Wiener

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Well after hearing this info, I'll probably take it back tomorrow. I guess I'll stick with my 4# mono on my light rod. Throw some 2# on my ultra light. Anyone have any suggestions for a good brand? The rods will be for gill and crappie only. Thanks

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:46 PM »
I like the Ht Ice Blue line of ul rods for gills. Inexpensive, sensitive tips, I have 6 of them rigged with different jigs so I don't have to try tying that blinkin thin line with cold fingers.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:57 AM »
I like the Ht Ice Blue line of ul rods for gills. Inexpensive, sensitive tips, I have 6 of them rigged with different jigs so I don't have to try tying that blinkin thin line with cold fingers.

Sorry I was talking about a brand recommendation on the 2# line. I'm going to pick up Panfish Poppers for the rods.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
A vote FOR Fireline Crystal Micro Ice
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:25 AM »
I have to throw in a vote for Fireline Micro Ice.  I have had very good results using it for deeper water.  I mostly fish from 20 to 50 feet deep.  The "no stretch" Fireline lets me feel light bites that I would not feel with mono.  There is a problem with ice on the line, but Reel Magic line dressing helps a lot - and, I change line about once through the season. If I was fishing mostly shallower water for bluegills, I would definitely use mono.

I also would like to include myself in the group that can hardly wait for the ice!

Good fishing to all,
Keith

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Making me regret purchasing the Fireline Crystal Ice, wonder if I should eat my losses and get some P-Line Fouro Ice and spool the poles with. Atleast not all of it is on the poles yet, then again I could always spool them again later in the winter if I need too.

Craig

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:20 PM »
The Fireline Crystal would be decent if Berkley could figure out how to make it round instead of flat.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:40 PM »
The Fireline Crystal would be decent if Berkley could figure out how to make it round instead of flat.

Come to think of it, the feel of it did remind me more of floss than line or thread. Must be why. Well took it back to GM and returned it. They didn't even ask why, though I had the receipt. Didn't pick up anything so far. Figure I'll give whatever mono came spooled on the reel a try. If I don't like that I'll probably pick up some 2# Fireline Crystal (not micro ice) or something similar.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2010, 11:58 AM »
wonder if I should eat my losses and get some P-Line Fouro Ice and spool the poles with.

I have P Line Fluroclear 2lb. on several of my panfish rods. A 300yard spool for around $8 is a lot better than what they want for the Ice version.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Just a note -

If it says "Fireline" its all the same.  Crystal just means it is a somewhattransparent (more like white) version of Fireline.  There is no truely different Fireline for ice fishing except that they have the Crystal "color" and sell it on 5o yd. pony spools.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Actually Fireline has gone through lots of different formulations.  One 4# Fireline may have a break strength of 10# or so while another may only have about 5# of break strength.  All I can say is the more recent stuff is not as strong as some of the older stuff.  The newer stuff is more round fresh off the spool compared some of the old stuff that was very obvious not round.  It also seems to be more slick feel to the touch compared to the older stuff.  When you look at some spools of the Crystal stuff, some lines are more translucent on the spool and some are very white.  When you look at some of the Smoke (original) some are more black and some may appear more grayish black.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:14 PM »
1# Crystal looks like 1/4" rope underwater on the camera.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.