Author Topic: WHAT ATV TO BUY?  (Read 10627 times)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
Re: WHAT ATV TO BUY?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:16 PM »
Im new to 4 wheelers but i di know a few things. The New Artic Cats are pretty good machines. I really didnt know much about them untill i purchased my Kodiak from a Yamaha-Arctic Cat dealer. I know they can take a lot of water, and our DEC officers are using them here(seen 2 in for maintencence). They said they were switching ti Yamaha next year.
Some mfgs. call them a country blade and some a county blade. I think a 60 is too wide for mine.
Btw, Oak those tracks suck. Way too heavy and hard to steer. The increased unsprung weight tears up the front end. Eats up ball joints. Also a lot of guys are plowing with the older 2wd quads. I know a older guy here with a Bruin 350 2WD that plows his 1200 foot driveway no problem.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=14984.15

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2004, 03:49 AM »
SORRY GUYS MY HONDA WITH ITS 60'' MOOSEPLOW WOULD BE USELESS AS A BUZZSTICK IN THAT 10 FT DEEP STUFF  :o

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2004, 07:31 AM »
Thays what i wanted to ask you, was the plow size. what size is your quad (motor). It must be 500 or larger cause plow mfgs. do not recommend a 60'' on anything smaller than a 500.

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2004, 09:23 AM »
didn't know that... good to know crappie... thanks.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2004, 09:51 AM »
Heavier weight is a negitive. I asked a few dealers why Polaris was so heavy and got no answer?? Now that you were told that (metal means built tougher) by a dealer i know why they are heavy. The dealer wasnt quite honest with you IMO . Aluminum is strong enough, BUT MORE EXPENSIVE. He should have said thet are heavier because they use more metal than alumium, basicly to  compete in pricing (IMHO).

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2004, 06:12 PM »
hmm.. i just drove a yamaha grizzly (660), a arctic cat 650, and a honda rincon 650... i liked all of the machines, but the honda really stood out.  the shifting was so smooth!!!  the arctic cat was a huge machine -- tall, wide.. sat up higher... i'm not sure if i liked sitting up higher or not.  the grizzly was very nice.. my buddy loved it, but of course it was his machine, so he is a little biased.  all have 4 wheel independent susupension.  the honda didn't have lockable diff (so it is 3 1/2 wheel drive)....  the others did have lockable diff.

plusses for the honda -
extremely smooth ride!  this alone was a HUGE selling point
25 year + solid reputation
lower to the ground  (more stable??)
very quiet

arctic cat
built in 2" hitch reciever
bigger, higher machine  (is this good or bad???)
has some manufacturer "Deals" going on now.. honda doesn't right now
very large rack capacity
larger tires.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2004, 02:22 PM »
Hey nice buck! I'll give you this. The first time I REALLY rode my arctic cat, I rolled it :clap: (and I have been riding quite a while) and I think it was just the height. That took getting used to, but you will get used to it. I like it for the ground clearance though ;D

Offline fishfearme

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:45 AM »
i have a bombardier traxter 500 with a 60" plow.i think there are many dierent kinds out there.i love mine and couldn't imagine being with out it.one thing they all have in common is "what a blast" even the kids love my plow(less shoveling for them  ;D ;D) i feel like a big kid with a new toy every time i go outside to plow.i was amazed at how easily the 4-wheeler handled the job and how far back it can push the banks.
Dave

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:15 PM »
fishfearme, thanks for putting that in here. Now i know you have a powerful 4-wheeler because traxters have alot. I think (?) my 450 Kodiak will push a 50'' or 52'' county plow(i hope) ???

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:38 PM »
my 450  foreman loves a 60'' moose plow

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:51 PM »
Thanks billditrite.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2004, 04:18 PM »
I bought a 400 auto 4x4 Arctic cat this spring. I bought the machine my father bought the winch,plow,windshield and hand warmers. I haven't had a chance yet to try it in the snow or on the ice. I looked long and hard before my purchase. I really like the 12 inches of ground clearance on the cat versus 6-8 inches on some of the others. The price was right 5150 and 3.9 for 36 months. I think all brands are good machines but we can get some good snow in Iowa and the clearance was a major factor in my choice. I know in my 4x4 truck or any kind of auto the clearance is what gets you stuck 80 percent of the time.

Good luck in your choice.

Offline Kanes33

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2004, 05:13 PM »
hey guys,

I have a Yamaha Big Bear 400. This thing as been a Bull! Its geared low for work, pulls a 900 pound ice shanty with little effort. Last year I pulled several small trucks off the lake that got stuck in snow. Goes through every mud hole Ive seen. fender deep with no problems. Top end is close to 50 mph. which is fine for me. never had a snow plow on it. but I know it would handle it with ease!

HIGHLY recommends for work/play machine!

Kane

Offline PAUGER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2004, 08:42 PM »
holy crap, thats some snow!  my wife if from SW MN, and she was amazed when she moved to WI... she said "I've never seen the snow fall straight down before."  :)  (its quite windy in SW MN)

anyway, from the little I know about plows, it sounds like you can really get some steam going and throw snow a little better with a county (country??  - which is it - county or country????) plow.  I figure if I buy, I might as well get what I want.. so I'm going to get a 60" plow...2 swipes of the driveway (140 yards long) and I'm done baby!!!   polaris has a double sided county plow... it looked sweet, but double sides might not be necessary???

i was looking at honda.com at the specs.... the new rincon (thier big one) i saw has front and rear independant suspension... as of now i am kinda leaning towards that one... a lot of guys on and off line seem to like them.  (the rubicon didn't have the all wheel independant..)  otherwise the yamaha grizzly would be a good choice, too... honda seems to have such a good long-last machine reputation....

wishlist....
quality, long lasting, easy starting, hard working machine
definately 2-4 wheel switchable
auto (for the wife  :) )
independant (all wheel) suspension
good rack storage... i see the new polaris has plastic storage in front/back.. might be nice.
good ground clearance
plow (easy to take on/off)
winch (2500 lb?)
hitch -easy to work with (the arctic cat has a standard 2" reciever, just like a truck)
500cc or thereabouts.
camo paint... guys seem to love the camo since you can't see the scratches as well.
some guys don't like the belt drives... (like polaris)
polaris is a heavy machine relatively.... is this a positive or a negative??? i would tend to think negative, but the rep said there is a lot more steel than aluminum making it stronger?????
and of course, needs to be able to pull the ice shanty!!!!!

anything on my wishlist that i am missing? should i be asking dealers about any other specs or attributes/drawbacks about certain machines?

also ---- for anyone that knows about arctic cat.... the dealer said that the engine was sealed and was "maintenance free"...it sounded like he meant more sealed than the competition anyway.. i noticed that the engine also sits a little more out in the open on the cat than on other machines.. anyone have any comments on this good or bad??????  Is this because it is "sealed" so well????

thanks to all!!! big decision, but a fun one!!!
whitt

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2004, 12:05 PM »
One thing that makes the Bombardier Traxter really nice for snow plowing and icefishing is the "walk through front".  When you have on heavy boots and your leg motion is restricted by thick bibs or snowsuit, it is nice not to have to swing one leg over the seat or gas tank.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2004, 01:55 PM »
One thing that makes the Bombardier Traxter really nice for snow plowing and icefishing is the "walk through front".  When you have on heavy boots and your leg motion is restricted by thick bibs or snowsuit, it is nice not to have to swing one leg over the seat or gas tank.
i own a honda but my father is 70 and i really like the walk thru feature for ease of getting on and off

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2004, 09:09 AM »
does anyone own or has anyone driven the new suzuki king quad?  looking at some info online, its looks like a real nice machine.  was wondering how it compares to the honda rincon and yamaha grizzly?

whitt

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:21 PM »
well, to all that answered my post, thanks.  I just bought a suzuki king quad, 700cc machine.  the test drive was awesome, and i like the fuel injection as well as many of it's other features.  the rincon was a close second.  get to take it home thursday, can't wait!

thanks to all
whitt ;D

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #49 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:32 PM »
I was going to say take a test ride and never look back, but i see you allready did.Nice quad ;D They don't call them ''king'' for nothing.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:50 PM »
excellent good luck have fun and be careful thats a big machine!!

iceman480

« Reply #51 on: Jan 01, 2005, 04:06 PM »
For plowing and work I would suggest a 4wheel drive I have a Honda Rubicon2001 Haven't had any problems with it I use it for plowing. Oh it is a 500cc.

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2005, 12:47 AM »
I have a 1988 Kawasaki 300 Mojave 2 wheel drive that I paid  $ 2600 for with a plow and tire chains. Got rid of the plow after a year or two and put a plow on my pick-up. I have been every where I want to go on it, and it never left me stranded and only been in the shop once! I've pulled a lot of deer out of the woods in all kinds of conditions. I am 61 years old and I couldn't do half the things I want to without it, we use it year round. Who ever invented the ATV should get the Nobel Prise for recreation and FUN !! lol
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Wait.....a Mojave is a sport atv. You used it for plowing, and for dragging deer???

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.