Author Topic: WHAT ATV TO BUY?  (Read 10624 times)

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
WHAT ATV TO BUY?
« on: Dec 09, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I am going to buy an atv this winter mostly for plowing my drive and ice fishing.. also for some trail riding.  What are the pros and cons that you atv using ice fisherman/women have come accross??  anyone know a good website that compares the plusses and minuses of each machine head to head?  personal preferences and reasons why you like each machine?

high flags,
whitt

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: WHAT ATV TO BUY?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2004, 04:44 AM »
ive got a 2000 honda foreman 450S with plow. it is very low geared so it plows like a dream! it starts very easily even when it is cold.it will climb anything as long as i can hang on!!good tires are a must!!it is my go to ice fishing vehicle.i can load this puppy up hook the trailer to it and head out almost anywhere.the one and only thing i dont like about this machine,which ive had for three years,is that you cant take it out of 4wd.this is something i believe honda has changed since they did not get very positive feedback.
what can i say i love this machine,my friend has a brand new truck with a brand newplow and he would rather plow with my wheeler .he says it does a neater job and fits into smaller places

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2004, 05:56 AM »
 Given all the choices out there, if I were to buy a new four-wheeler, (mine is a '94 Honda 200) and this is after looking at all the different models and makes, I would buy in a heartbeat the two-up Bombardier 400. The Bombs front differental is the best without having to "lock" a second switch in and there is plenty of room for two adults, it's got ind. suspension.  Thats the route I'd go, and I've been around wheelers for over twenty years.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2004, 06:40 AM »
Hey billditrite how much does an ATV like your's go for now?
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:12 AM »
ya, i've heard the hondas are real solid machines... quite problem free overall.. and you are right, the newer models have switchable 4- wheel to 2 wheel.  i have heard they are a little rougher riding, though...had any problems with this?  i think i am between the yamaha grizzly, the honda rubicon or forman, and the polaris sportsman 500 HO.

also - i want to get a "county style plow".. anyone have any experience with these vs. a normal straight blade?

thanks for the info!!!!

whitt

PIKEGUY

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:17 AM »
Whitts end.... I've got a 2003 Arctic Cat 400 auto w/ 4wd , snowplow and tire chains. Need cash will sell! Where are you located? It's only got 300 miles on it!!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:45 AM »
You plowing boys must live where there is not much snowfall. Some places in northern BC we have snowbanks 8-10ft tall. For that we need our tractors for the lift and dump feature.
I love my Kodiak. Buddy has a Honda Rubicon, I love it too. I have been riding motorized bikes/machines for over 20yrs now. One thing I've learnt is treat them right and they will last a long time. I still have my first Honda 3 wheeler which were around before the 4 wheelers came. I hauled moose out on it, got firewood and icefished on it. It of course did have limitations and you had to know what they were.
Drive safe when you get it and learn what it will do before you take chances. I see some people come out to our trails and drive it like a madman and have never been on a bike before. Every year people die from ATV accidents and usually its because of inexperience with their machines.
Good luck and stay safe.

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:05 AM »
With the various options, prices and configurations, your best bet is to go and try one out and see what YOU like.   If you want to go trail riding with it, I would recommend one with 4 wheel independent suspension.  Also anything more than 500cc's is overkill and just wastes more gas.  A 350 - 500cc ATV can go anywhere the big 600-700cc's can go, just not as fast.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:12 AM »
I'm personally a fan of the polaris sportsman ATV's...

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:20 AM »
  I have a sportsman 500 I use for plowing snow but like Terry mentioned we don't get too much(no more than 6"-8" at a time).  It works great and I almost never have to put it in 4wd.  I have only had one problem with a ground/throttle cable but I don't "beat" on this machine.  My Honda '93 300 ex is a different story.  I have had this one underwater twice,  rolled it down numerous hills,  bounced off 100's of trees and generally have treated this machine like a red headed stepchild since I bought it and have had no problems just general maintence.  I know this is not the type olf machine you are looking for but just a nod to the Hondas on their durability.  This machine is darn near bulletproof !!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:39 AM »
the honda rubicon drives nicer than the polaris sportsman.  never had them out for more than 2 hours on trails, but i know what i like and its the honda!  sleds on the other hand, ARCTIC CAT!

"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:45 AM »
Pikeguy - what are you looking to get for your 4-wheeler?  I live in northern WI, looking to pickup an ATV....

PIKEGUY

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:11 AM »
I'm thinking right around $4000 ( only 300 miles) but have not really given it too much thought yet. If you want more info let me know. I do like to get up to the Cumberland area now and then. Are you near there?

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Everyone has there preference to prefered ATV's im no exception
I have a 2001 Yamaha 400 Grizzly  ... I dont know much about the Polaris , Cat , Bombadier , Honda or Kalasawki models ... I have riden on a Polaris and a Honda ... IMO the Yamaha rides great , mine has never gotten stuck ... I dont use it to plow but have taken it out in the PA woods during deep snow and it goes any where ... mine dosent have an independant rear suspension but i would recommend that , as well as the higher the ground clearance the better , some other pluses are the push button 4wd and automatic transmission (so the wife can use it too) ... what it comes down too is $$ , and or do you want a second hand machine or a new one where you know it will be taken care of .... some seconds can be great ... some can be a lemon ... dont get taken on something that sounds to good to be true because it probaly is .... PS: you get what you pay for

PSS: if i went out and got a new one today i would still get my Yamaha
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:56 AM »
Pointers:

1) Never ride with more than 1 person on the machine itself
2) Wear a helmet
3) Wear appropiate clothing and gloves
4) If trial riding tell someone where you are and carry some sort of 2 way walkie talkies
5) Never do anything over your head (by this i mean experience level)
6) They are a wonderful machine and fun to use ... but they can be just as dangerous as well .... always be safe and curteous to other riders on trails , friends, family and wildlife
7) There are other rules but i think you get the picture ....

Last but not least keep 4 wheels on the ground ... not wheels in the air ...
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2004, 12:23 PM »
from what i have heard talking to dealers, owners, etc., i basically need to ride one.  on average, it sounds like the honda is quite durable .  I know that they switched thier new machines to have 2 or 4 wheel drive (not just 4), which is great, since i wouldn't consider buying one without that.... does anyone know if the newer machines have all wheel independant suspension??? i suppose that would help to make a nicer ride.  for those that ride hondas and whom have riden other machines, how does the trial riding compare to other brands?

and no, i don't need to plow 8-10 feet of snow... usually just 8-10 inches at the most here in eau claire, wi  :)

thanks guys (and gals),... PRAY FOR ICE.. ITS TOO WARM HERE!
whitt

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2004, 12:38 PM »
PIKE GUY - WHAT DID YOU LIKE ABOUT THE ARCTIC CAT ATV??

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2004, 12:38 PM »
My experiences Whitt ... i have a friend who owns a Honda its a 2 wheel drive (not a 4x4 model)  his model gets stuck in only about 4 to 6 inches of snow .... Now i know you plan on buying a 4wd model which in WI that makes sense ... you wouldnt want anything smaller than a 300 IMO ... i do believe some machines still have a universal rear ... some not all have the independent rears which are great ... but they cost more especially the newer machines , mines a 2001  i bought for just over $6000 in 2001 brand new .... it has low miles on it and i wouldnt trade it for the world ... I know of friends that own Polaris and some Hondas that have nothing but problems with something or another since they have had theirs ... mine the only thing I have to replace in all the years I have had it is the Oil and Oil filter ....
Git - R - Done !!!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2004, 12:50 PM »
PIKE GUY - WHAT DID YOU LIKE ABOUT THE ARCTIC CAT ATV??
everything. Independent rear suspension, push lever 4wd, lots of ground clearance, etc. etc. The more I think about it, the less I feel like selling it. Maybe I should just keep makin the payments and keep the damn thing. With so few miles and what I've put into it, I won't get a better deal I guess. Only thing I would change is to get bigger than 400 CC. It's fine on hills and everything, but get in deep snow and it's really doggy. But, the snowplow always trips out before the wheeler stops in heavy snow.

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2004, 01:18 PM »
has anybody ridden one or own one with the tank-tracks on each wheel? really pricey, but those monsters look like thay can conquer anything and everything!

heres  the website where i found this picture  http://www.mattracks.com/ looks cool, you can buy them for your pickup or farm equipment... bet they would be kinda fun!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2004, 01:34 PM »
Yeah I saw one at a tournament I was at. It went thru deep snow with no problem.
You guys make me sick with your 8-10 inches of snow a year. We don't even plow that, just wait till it gets a foot thick. Some guys have all the luck, but at least I'm on ice now, so I'm happy.

dljigger

« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2004, 01:49 PM »
i personally like honda ranchers

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Buddy and I picked up Kawasaki Prairie 360's 4x4 and so far not one complaint. We are waiting to get out on to some ice but we have been out on the trails almost every weekend.You should go check out all the local dealers in your area and see what you like.

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Yeah I saw one at a tournament I was at. It went thru deep snow with no problem.
You guys make me sick with your 8-10 inches of snow a year. We don't even plow that, just wait till it gets a foot thick. Some guys have all the luck, but at least I'm on ice now, so I'm happy.

WELL, WE GET 8-12 INCHES AT A TIME USUALLY.. A REAL GOOD SNOW MIGHT BE A COUPLE FEET... BUT IT CAN DEFINATELY ACCUMULATE... THE PARKING LOTS BUILD SNOW THAT DOESN'T MELT TIL JUNE.  (SO NOT 10 INCHES TOTAL EVERY YEAR)  :)

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2004, 06:50 PM »
ya, i've heard the hondas are real solid machines... quite problem free overall.. and you are right, the newer models have switchable 4- wheel to 2 wheel.  i have heard they are a little rougher riding, though...had any problems with this?  i think i am between the yamaha grizzly, the honda rubicon or forman, and the polaris sportsman 500 HO.

also - i want to get a "county style plow".. anyone have any experience with these vs. a normal straight blade?

thanks for the info!!!!

whitt
the only thing with the Polaris 4x4 , they are belt driven , and if they get wet they slip , get yourself a shaft driven , front and rear if they still come like that , I have a 98 yamaha , no slip .
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:36 PM »
i own a Polaris big boss 1992 and it work very good.i think you got to look for a ATV who is fully 4x4.it's the most important thing.i plow lot of snow whitout chain on my wheel.
the new Polaris sportman is just great.i try it and fall in love.so take your time to make a good choice.
ibb

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:18 PM »
whitts-end, great thread. This is all the stuff i wanted to ask. I just bought a Yamaha Kodiak450 (check equipment threads) for hunting, icefishing and plowing. Im sick and tied of shoveling this extremly heavy snow here. I want a country plow too, but im not sure what to get? Moose, Cycle country or what ever. How wide? 48'',50'',52'' OR 60?
Terry, what are you talking about? Just because we live ''way down south'' dont mean we dont get snow. And its WAY heavier than yours. Snow storms at 30 to 35 degrees are real heavy. 8 to 10 foot banks?
When we get ''2'' on monday and ''4'' on thursday that means 6 feet. Heres a shot from last year when we got  4 on thursday and 6 on friday.Thats 10 feet, banks are way taller than that.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:23 PM »
[/img]

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:30 PM »
If I had to choose I would go with either a Yamaha or a Honda in that order.

Offline whitts-end

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2004, 09:43 PM »
holy crap, thats some snow!  my wife if from SW MN, and she was amazed when she moved to WI... she said "I've never seen the snow fall straight down before."  :)  (its quite windy in SW MN)

anyway, from the little I know about plows, it sounds like you can really get some steam going and throw snow a little better with a county (country??  - which is it - county or country????) plow.  I figure if I buy, I might as well get what I want.. so I'm going to get a 60" plow...2 swipes of the driveway (140 yards long) and I'm done baby!!!   polaris has a double sided county plow... it looked sweet, but double sides might not be necessary???

i was looking at honda.com at the specs.... the new rincon (thier big one) i saw has front and rear independant suspension... as of now i am kinda leaning towards that one... a lot of guys on and off line seem to like them.  (the rubicon didn't have the all wheel independant..)  otherwise the yamaha grizzly would be a good choice, too... honda seems to have such a good long-last machine reputation....

wishlist....
quality, long lasting, easy starting, hard working machine
definately 2-4 wheel switchable
auto (for the wife  :) )
independant (all wheel) suspension
good rack storage... i see the new polaris has plastic storage in front/back.. might be nice.
good ground clearance
plow (easy to take on/off)
winch (2500 lb?)
hitch -easy to work with (the arctic cat has a standard 2" reciever, just like a truck)
500cc or thereabouts.
camo paint... guys seem to love the camo since you can't see the scratches as well.
some guys don't like the belt drives... (like polaris)
polaris is a heavy machine relatively.... is this a positive or a negative??? i would tend to think negative, but the rep said there is a lot more steel than aluminum making it stronger?????
and of course, needs to be able to pull the ice shanty!!!!!

anything on my wishlist that i am missing? should i be asking dealers about any other specs or attributes/drawbacks about certain machines?

also ---- for anyone that knows about arctic cat.... the dealer said that the engine was sealed and was "maintenance free"...it sounded like he meant more sealed than the competition anyway.. i noticed that the engine also sits a little more out in the open on the cat than on other machines.. anyone have any comments on this good or bad??????  Is this because it is "sealed" so well????

thanks to all!!! big decision, but a fun one!!!
whitt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.