Author Topic: Do I really need a flip-over shack?  (Read 10438 times)

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Do I really need a flip-over shack?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2010, 07:32 PM »
flip over all the way!  Me and my brother invested in a yukon by clam last year and what a difference it has made!!  usually go out together so we load her down a ways, but when I go by myself, I have almost no issues pulling it.   One thing we did was take out the seats that clam gave us and just sit in lawn chairs.  Much more comfortable, saves some weight, and also gives you more room to put stuff.   Hopes this helps.
Let's fish it.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2010, 09:52 PM »
I have a homemade flip style and a 4 man Ice Cube. The cube gets used when I fish with my son and is a comfortable shack for 2 adults. I can't see how 4 adults could possibly fish in one, comfortably. The flip over I use when I fish alone. Regardless which you choose they extend your fishing time and comfort.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2010, 11:06 PM »
In Colorado the weather isn't usually humid enough to have to have a shanty. I ice-fished 20 years without one. That being said, I have a 4-man Eskimo and a Clam Pro.  Paid 100 for the Eskimo and 150 for the Clam on Craigslist, both used one season.  Best of both worlds.  If I'm going a long ways early on the ice I use the Eskimo, before the ice is thick enough to use my 4-wheeler.  Don't always set it up but at 11# its good insurance in case it gets nasty.  Later I use the Clam if it's a shorter, close pull, or the weather's bad or real cold and use the 4-wheeler, usually the situation in January-Feb.  Love the ability to run and gun and set up much faster than the Eskimo without having to stake it down. And it heats up faster than the Eskimo with a small heater.  Opens up easy and feel less claustrophobic in nice weather.  Final analysis:  Shop wisely and get both if it's possible!!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:28 PM »
I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine who said you could compare it asking yourself "Do I really NEED a girlfriend with such big breasts?"  The answer it obviously "no", but they sure are fun!
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:27 PM »
I built steel conduit(EMT) runners which elevate my Yukon about a foot off the ice.  Easy to slide on and off the sled.  Can pull 150 lb of sled and gear with one hand through moderate snowcover.  Races down hill at shore's edge too.  Just kind of frictiony on dry pavement and concrete.  Might try attaching Hifax on runners for that.  The only way to go with a heavy load by hand, I think.  Search IS for pics and discussions
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline eskimo roll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:42 AM »
Gillgrabber, that was a classic!   Now I got one more thing I need to add to my "accessories" list! ;)

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 04, 2010, 11:30 AM »
I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine who said you could compare it asking yourself "Do I really NEED a girlfriend with such big breasts?"  The answer it obviously "no", but they sure are fun!

That pretty much sums it up right there.

I've often wondered if I'd rather have my vexilar or my clam scout. It's a tough call to make, but only because I use the vexilar year round. I've seen many people pack up and leave when the wind picks up after they've been fishing for an hour, and I just turn my heater up a bit and stay until I feel like leaving.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Chevy_94

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see this year round"
« Reply #37 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Regarding the wind when setting up between a cube style and a flip over. I would have to say that is about a horse a piece. They both can be a pain in the airse. Apparently I'm the only one on here that has had to chase down my flip over after drilling the holes and then try to flip it over me without it becoming a sail and scooting across the ice before i can sit down.

Offline nhbaitrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:05 PM »
I have tried several types of ice shelters.  I have found that the fold up type (had a Clam 2000) have brittle floors, not much room and are hard to pull unless there is little to no snow. If you are planning on moving they are not very portable. Flip-overs are nice (had a Clam Guide), but most come with a large weight penalty.  It is nice to have a sled you can load with everything, very quick set up, and very portable.  Unless you have a snowmobile or four wheeler to get in on and off the ice it isn't very practical due to the weight.  Not bad with a little snow, horrible in deep snow.  If you go with a one person Flip-over (have a Clam Scout) it is not a problem, if you fish alone.  light, and portable.  The newer tent style (have a Clam Base Camp) are nice.  They are light, lots or room, take a little getting used to setting up and taking down.  Not very portable.  But for 2 or people the work great for me. Good luck!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Regarding the wind when setting up between a cube style and a flip over. I would have to say that is about a horse a piece. They both can be a pain in the airse. Apparently I'm the only one on here that has had to chase down my flip over after drilling the holes and then try to flip it over me without it becoming a sail and scooting across the ice before i can sit down.

I toss the shavings from my jigging hole at each of the four corners. If the ice isn't thick enough to get all of them with one hole, I drill another. Haven't had a problem with it blowing around since I started doing that as long as I flip it open before I walk away from it.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:48 PM »
When the mercury doesnt get above 0 for a week and hits temps of -30 and -50+ windchills it definetly helps to fish inside a heated shelter.  Hole starts to skim over with ice before you get done augering it.   ;D

Ive had a Frabill XL Twin for many years and love it.  Think I may go with an insulated one this year beings theyre 30 degrees warmer with the same heater.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:47 PM »
I had a Frabill Prowler and loved it, but sold it... why?
It was huge and filled up my entire Jeep. It was heavy and difficult to move in/out of the car and also out on the lake. Any more than a couple inches of snow makes it tough.

I think a lot of people are missing out on the true ice fishing experience. Too many turn their buddy heaters up to max so they dont need their jackets... boo to that!

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 19, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Find one that suits your needs.  I have a clam 2000 and use it mainly as a shelter to warm up, or for people to get warm (wife, young'ns, etc).  I like to bounce around a lot, so I generally don't use it too much when I'm by myself.  It'd probably be a different story if I had a truck, but all I have is a 2004 Grand Prix and am able to fit my clam 2000, 10" Strikemaster Mag 3000, Medium otter sled, minnow bucket, lantern, Marcum Lx-5, jigging rods, tip ups, etc in there.  But they all fit in my trunk (with the backseat folded down, of course) PERFECTLY.  If my sled or shanty were 1/2" bigger either way, wouldn't fit.  I then drilled a hole in the back of my Otter sled, put a carbiner, and make a little train w/ my clam 2000 to help carry more gear.  Sucks in deep snow, but it's a good workout and I'm still young.  Some day I'll have a truck and/or flip over, but as of right now, this works for me. 

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 19, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I had a Frabill Prowler and loved it, but sold it... why?
It was huge and filled up my entire Jeep. It was heavy and difficult to move in/out of the car and also out on the lake. Any more than a couple inches of snow makes it tough.

I think a lot of people are missing out on the true ice fishing experience. Too many turn their buddy heaters up to max so they dont need their jackets... boo to that!

I love my Frabill DLX.  Easy to set up not too bad to pull unless there is too much snow and I do load it up pretty well.  Auger, Vex, Beer, food, buddy heater,  fuel, beer, and probably more stuff I don't need.   

Yes, I crank the heat up and sit in a t-shirt even if it's 5 below, I'm toasty :)   Not missing a thing though... I sat many a year on a bucket in the wind freezing my arse off and really... I don't miss it at all.

One tip: Coleman makes a small tent fan that runs on one 'D' cell for about 12 bucks.  It's magnetic and you can just stick it to a pole and let it run.  It will move the air enough to circulate the heat and with it running I have not had ONE drop of condensation in my shanty.  Without it running however, it literally drips off the roof.   
Fish Hard or Go Home

surflizard

« Reply #44 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:21 PM »
This tip helps me to not have to chase my shack ! I drilled 2 holes in top of each end of my Frabill Ranger XL Twin, I ran a 24" piece of 1/4" poly rope thru each Hole to lash down the fabric and poles to keep it clear of the gear I store in it for the haul out and the haul in. As soon as I decide I'm where I want to fish, I put in an Ice screw on each end. I remove the travel cover and the lash down ropes and tie them to the screws. Last year I went out once and the wind started. By putting the screws in first, I was anchored and I was able to fish in 35+mph winds all day, till the wind let up just before dark ! I found some of the ice climber anchor scews at REI and they crank in with one hand in 30 seconds, They aren't cheap But they are definately worth not having to chase the shack !

Offline chris3303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Oct 20, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Flipover for sure. My first was a frabill ranger twin. Got this cuz I figured that way I could bring a buddy along. Turns out they were too drunk to get outa bed or just not interested in sitting on the ice. I ended up pulling the heavy two man around for myself. I met a guy who is a Ice nut like myself and he had a clam scout so thats what I bought. Fish together all the time in seperate shacks. My point is dont buy a big heavy shack planning on someone else to help pull it all the time. Better for you and your buddy to both invest in one mans. We find this is better in searching for fish anyway. Good luck on the ice

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 20, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Yes, I crank the heat up and sit in a t-shirt even if it's 5 below, I'm toasty :)   Not missing a thing though... I sat many a year on a bucket in the wind freezing my arse off and really... I don't miss it at all.
I know.. I won't say that it isn't nice but it's just the whole snowball effect! I started out without a bucket and moved onto the portables and eventually a hardside. Now I don't even have to wear a coat because of the heater  :) I guess I can't say too much more without being a hypocrit but I don't want to end up thinking that I need a tv, generator, ice castle, etc...

surflizard

« Reply #47 on: Oct 21, 2010, 04:51 AM »
I will never forget the early days of the Bucket, Spud and Wooden Jigstick ! I still use them, but now I put them to different uses. I converted the bucket into a luggable loo, the spud still checks the thickness of the ice and vents the live well and if the batteries go south in the fish finder, I can still sound bottom with the Jigstick and on occasion, it still catches fish ! I paid my early days dues and now its about making it a little easier and more comfortable for myself and the new fishing partner that has made icefishing fun again for me, with her childlike enthusiasm and funny antics ! With my Frabill flip over, It allows me to fish all over the Northeast and Canada in relative comfort and I can concentrate on catching fish and enjoy this wonderful sport that we all know and love ! To each his own ! From the Bucket jockey's to the Ice Gadget heads, Good luck to all and Hopefully everyone gets a shot at a wall hanger this year
                           Surf

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 24, 2010, 11:09 AM »

Nope, I've been there done that. Not too much fun, but ususally you can ajust the shanty to the wind direction. If not, then you probably shouldnt be fishing that day.  :) I know, yeah right.  ;D
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.