Author Topic: My newest favorite sled addition is the -- JETBOIL!  (Read 4261 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
My newest favorite sled addition is the -- JETBOIL!
« on: Aug 24, 2010, 05:01 PM »
http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/personal-cooking-system-2.html

A nice light addition to the sled along with some Folger coffee singles, Ramen, hot chocolate, tea, etc. I've boiled hot dogs and brats with it. Fill with a cup of water and drop a can of soup into it and you have an easy double-boiler to heat soup/stews and no need for cleaning. Lipton noodles have been done and it's very versatile. I use it on the railroad, keep it in my truck when not working and it'll be in the sled this season.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: My newest favorite sled addition is the -- JETBOIL!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, and a lot safer than sterno!!

Let us know how it works in the (hopefully) freezing weather.

Wiener

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:30 PM »
This thing does indeed look sweet.  Nice find.  It looks a bit pricey tho at $100
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2010, 09:24 PM »
a little out of my price range.  but a jetboil looks like a great set up.

I'll stick with a penny, two cut up soda cans and a bottle of dry gas.  just google penny stove they work great.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2010, 11:11 PM »
This thing does indeed look sweet.  Nice find.  It looks a bit pricey tho at $100

My friend has one of those and they are awesome.  He paid about $25 on e-bay on wildwestbargains store and just had to use Gorilla glue on a small piece of the lid.  He uses it constantly, I like the slightly heavier single burner propane stove, they are both great.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2010, 06:51 AM »
a little out of my price range.  but a jetboil looks like a great set up.

I'll stick with a penny, two cut up soda cans and a bottle of dry gas.  just google penny stove they work great.
I was gonna metion the alcohol burners   bought a few of them to find what one I liked  suprised how quick they boil water!  gonna add one to my supplies for the ice     for those that dont know  what JP is talking about here is a pic

I want to build one out of aluminum beer bottles  but cant get them up here  for some reason  :(

here is a great site for building many different varietes

http://zenstoves.net/
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 07:43 AM »
I saw guy whom shall remain nameless, do this with a small chunk of C-4 in a coffee can, Wow, I was impressed !!  :o The water boiled instantly !  ;D

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:49 PM »
I can vouch for the Jet boil... I use one for camping and it is the best product ever made to boil water quickly. Expensive solution but works great in the woods.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2010, 03:42 PM »
ive got a little 1 burner coleman stove w/ case i bought in the army 20yrs. ago. it heats my perm./ portable shack to 90f if i wanted it to and its great to cook a meal on. very lightweight and portable. fits in my backpack. cheap to run too. new you can get em' for $40 and as long as you use the filtering funnel when you fill it, its maintenence free. i use only coleman fuel in mine and never had a problem w/ it not lighting down to -30. at those temps tho. i preheat the stove in my jacket for a few minutes. then she lights right up.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:34 AM »
I got my Jetboil a couple weeks ago and used it wall week for hunting and i am really impressed.  Wish I would of got one sooner. It is going to be great for fishing making food and hot drinks. I just got the 1.5L pot for it in the mail yesterday and now it is a really universal unit. It boils water so fast.  Well worth the money.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2010, 10:13 AM »
You'll love it MEMAGGIENCOMET! I use mine maybe 3-5 times a week at work for making coffee (folger singles), hot chocolate, soups, etc. It has paid for itself numerous times over by making my own food while working away from home rather than hitting the cafe there. Do end up going for a cheeseburger now and then, but I'm human!  ;D

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Anyone use water from your fishing hole for drinking/cooking?  I have to believe if you boiled it first it would be safe. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Anyone use water from your fishing hole for drinking/cooking?  I have to believe if you boiled it first it would be safe. 

Personally I'd filter it then boil it then use it.  But it would taste better and be easier to just bring along a gallon jug from the house.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:51 AM »
Hey gambooler have you tried any other brand of fuel besides the jet boil one? My GM is stocking less and less jet boil stuff. I just dont want to be left hanging with no fuel for it.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Hey gambooler have you tried any other brand of fuel besides the jet boil one? My GM is stocking less and less jet boil stuff. I just dont want to be left hanging with no fuel for it.
I carry a larger Coleman canister right now since the local place was out of the smaller cans. They've carried JB fuel on and off and seem to have settled on Primus fuels. I do like the smaller cans since they store within the stove itself. So to answer you, yes I've used Coleman and Primus fuels with no trouble.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:07 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.