Author Topic: focus 5 replace burner screen?  (Read 13146 times)

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
focus 5 replace burner screen?
« on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Has anyone ever successfully replaced the burner screen on a Coleman focus 5 heater? My backup focus 5 burner screen went bad and I'm looking to repair it.
Thanks Paul

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
Re: focus 5 replace burner screen?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:44 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

I've done a fair bit of research and from what I gather, some family died b/c they didn't know about CO and propane heaters long story short they haven't made these heaters for about 13-15 years and the chance on parts is used units on ebay (good luck) My focus 5, as much as I loved it, is destined for ebay or the trash (no screen either)

-Bob

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2009, 05:35 AM »

I've rebuilt mine without any hassles. I found the screens/bulbs on e-bay brand new a few years back. The bulbs come as a unit with the tube. They are pricey and the seller only came on a few times a season and I believe I ended up paying about $20 a piece for the units. I've also replaced the igniter using a BBQ igniter with no problems.  If I get a chance I'll post a pic of the screen/bulbs ..I bought an extra.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:05 AM »
I've rebuilt mine without any hassles. I found the screens/bulbs on e-bay brand new a few years back. The bulbs come as a unit with the tube. They are pricey and the seller only came on a few times a season and I believe I ended up paying about $20 a piece for the units. I've also replaced the igniter using a BBQ igniter with no problems.  If I get a chance I'll post a pic of the screen/bulbs ..I bought an extra.  ;)

I have seen the replacement tube/bulb on e-bay before, but didn't need one at the time. I'll be on the look out in the future. I was wondering if the burner/bulb could be made out of some stiff screen or something.Just trying to find the right material to try out.
Thanks Paul

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:23 AM »

I honestly don't know. A member , a few years back , was going to try and see if other units bulbs might cross over to the Focus 5 but I never saw him post of his findings.
I'll check and see if I have the contact info for the seller. If he still has them and if there is enough interest maybe he would do a bulk sale.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:21 AM »

Doesn't look good. His e-mail came back unable to deliver and seller search on ebay came back no results. It's a shame because he was the only one I knew of that had these. He had told me they were brand new Focus 5 replacement parts he had purchased in bulk when they discontinued the line.
I'll post a pic later .. maybe it will help.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:50 AM »

Here's a pic of the replacement part. I did a search and came up with nothing as far as parts. I did find 5 whole Focus 5 heaters for sale though.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:47 AM »
LoneWolf, thanks for the help. I'll keep looking and if I find a replacement or a way to make them I'll let you know.
Thanks Paul

Offline Eklb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2016, 10:41 PM »
Hello:
I know this post is way back in dec 2009.
LoneWolf post number six showing the focus 5 burner tube on the pine chair is one I used on ebay years way back.
Didn't know anyone was looking for me back then but here I am.
Yes I did purchase colemans discontinued focus 3  and 5  and 10 parts back then.
And yes I also sold as seller eklb on ebay parts for the above.
I also sold rebuildt burners too and still rebuild burners for the coleman focus heaters.
I read where some were  wondering if the coleman focus 3 burner would fit the focus 5 heater and I can tell you that no way will a focus 3 burner fit on the focus 5 tube as they both have diferent size tubes and wouldn't thread on
and even if you did weld it on the focus 3 burner wouldn't burn properly as its designed as 3000 btus and the 5000 btu burner on a focus 5 design would mix the fuel to oxygen for the 5k bulb and if a 3 bulb was present it would burn more like a torch flame so nope not going to work.
However the coleman focus 5 and 10 burner bulbs are same threads and will thread onto each other but I wouldn't put a 5k bulb on a 10k heater as again too much oxy to fuel mixture for the smaller 5k burner bulb.
Now you could put a 10k burner on a 5k heater if you really had to and it would still burn fine just a larger burner bulb so itll burn a bit less brighter than the normal focus 10 but still produce 5000 btus of heat since the fuel to oxy mix through the 5k orfice will be 5k  btu output.
I still today carry a fair amount of new parts and what I don't have I can rebuild the part such as the burner bulb or would have good used parts.
Cant believe how long bago this post was and I never saw it till just recently.
Talk about how time flies. ;D
[email protected]
Eklb

Offline Eklb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Hello
Just updating my email address for those wanting help with coleman focus 3 / 5 / or 10 burner rebuilds.
[email protected]
Eric

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:31 AM »

Thanks

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Yep..thanks.