Author Topic: Little buddy heater  (Read 4527 times)

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Little buddy heater
« on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:27 PM »
can the little buddy heater be attached to a bigger tank other than the little green ones?

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Little buddy heater
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Theres an accessory hose that allows you to use the big tanks. Check thier website.
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:44 PM »
no, if you can u have nothing to rest it on. and plus it last 7 hours on one pound.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Yeah you can get adapter plugs that will let you connect a bulk tank to any unit that uses a disposable tank. Any store with propane stuff with have them. I just looked at fleet farm and it was 7 or 8 bucks for the fitting. The hose will be about 15+ bucks.
As far as I know you would have to make a stand for it. A couple coat hangers would probably suffice though.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:51 PM »
I dont get it. the GOAT BOYS wisconsin, explain

Offline Big Fortin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:57 PM »
It all depends on which heater you have we sell them at my work

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:07 AM »
I'm in the market for a heater. I've used the Mr. Heater "cooker" with the wire stand and that works excellent for heating the shack (Eskimo Quick Flip 3-it's pretty big) and tote along my 20 lbs. propane tank from my grill. I plan on doing a few overnighters, but mostly just going to be on the water for the day. Sometimes a day for me will be from sun-up from sun-down. Why does everyone seem to be moving towards the Buddy heaters instead of the sunflower Mr. Heaters? Is it due to fuel efficiency?  I've had such a good experience using the Mr. Heater that I'm apprehensive to buy another style. Anyone shed some light. I will be buying one this weekend so I gots to make a decision soon.

So many fish, so little time.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:20 PM »
can the little buddy heater be attached to a bigger tank other than the little green ones?
You can get a hose to run a buddy heater from a large tank. If you get a black hose get the filter that goes on the buddy where the small green tank screwed onto it. I have a 10 or 12 foot hose that I use along with the filter.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:26 AM »
I'm in the market for a heater. I've used the Mr. Heater "cooker" with the wire stand and that works excellent for heating the shack (Eskimo Quick Flip 3-it's pretty big) and tote along my 20 lbs. propane tank from my grill. I plan on doing a few overnighters, but mostly just going to be on the water for the day. Sometimes a day for me will be from sun-up from sun-down. Why does everyone seem to be moving towards the Buddy heaters instead of the sunflower Mr. Heaters? Is it due to fuel efficiency?  I've had such a good experience using the Mr. Heater that I'm apprehensive to buy another style. Anyone shed some light. I will be buying one this weekend so I gots to make a decision soon.

I used the sunflower type heater last year and while it worked great for heat I now have a burn spot on my $200 coat, 2 jigs at the bottom of a lake, a melted coffee cup and a new zipper on my flip over shanty, all from getting burned/melted from that heater.  So I now have the sunflower as a backup and I recently bought a regular Buddy heater for a more safer alternative than the sunflower.  The sunflower was just too unprotected to be used in a flipover at least in my case...I tried to be carefull but I think the regular Buddy will be a lot safer and I won't have to always be worried about burning things on it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2009, 12:19 PM »

I used the sunflower type heater last year and while it worked great for heat I now have a burn spot on my $200 coat, 2 jigs at the bottom of a lake, a melted coffee cup and a new zipper on my flip over shanty, all from getting burned/melted from that heater.  So I now have the sunflower as a backup and I recently bought a regular Buddy heater for a more safer alternative than the sunflower.  The sunflower was just too unprotected to be used in a flipover at least in my case...I tried to be carefull but I think the regular Buddy will be a lot safer and I won't have to always be worried about burning things on it.
I didn't burn any holes in anything, but I sure left a bunch of jigs on the bottom due to a sunflower heater. I still have two Paulin sunflower heaters for backup, but I'm using a little buddy. It seemed like every time my buddy would say something I would turn to talk to him and burn my line off.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Would agree with the comments above.  Those sunflower type heaters can be wicked around fishing line, canvas of any kind, styrofoam, little kids' fingers, dogs, any combustible.  Turn your back for a second and they can do a lot of damage.  They definitely put out some heat, but can raise holy hell in the shack.  The new heaters at least won't burn on contact. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Why does everyone seem to be moving towards the Buddy heaters instead of the sunflower Mr. Heaters? Is it due to fuel efficiency?  I've had such a good experience using the Mr. Heater that I'm apprehensive to buy another style. Anyone shed some light. I will be buying one this weekend so I gots to make a decision soon.

I was looking to buy a tank top heater but I can't find any that go lower than 8000 btu  >:( I don't want to get cooked out of my shack and have to fiddle with turning it on and off.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:33 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about the sunflower type heaters. I was thinking of switching cause they look lighter than the little buddy.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:40 PM »
If you plan on a hose, get the "black one" w/ a filter, I got the green hose and it gets really stiff in cold weather and a pain in the a$$ to use. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Mr. heaters are buddy heater. buddy v.s. sunflower style, buddy have no fumes and no headaches. that is why everybody has them over a sunflower style. get the medium style buddy. the little one is $65 and the medium is $70 on sale. the big one is twice the size as the medium one.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I went to the mr buddy/buddy heaters for the same reasons listed above plus I do beleive they have a low oxygen cut off, I may be wrong on that one. Will go look at box again tomorrow, I was able to get mine this past feb or march for half off at lowes.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Low oxygen is only on the buddy and big buddy. The little does not have it.

I have a little buddy and it is not enough to heat a 2 man cabin style when its below 20 deg. I wish I had the regular buddy.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:19 PM »
I went with the little buddy for weight reasons. it's just so compact and I don't have a quad yet. I hope it heats my big shack. I will be testing it out tommorrow.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2009, 04:27 PM »
tested it out today. It's getting returned and I'm buying a Mr. Heater Cooker Sunflower style.  The little buddies are not large enough to heat a 4 man shack.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:49 PM »
A heater that blasts you out of your shack beats one that barely even gets you warm.

IN SPADES!!!!  8)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:55 PM »
dont get the sunflower heater, go with the big buddy heater.    i use that in my shappell dx4000, and it cooks me out when i have it on high.   keep it on the medium setting and it will keep the shack warm all the way down to about 0-5 degrees outside the shack. ( atleast thats what mine will do).     AND, its got the low oxygen shut off so its safe for indoors use...............whic h comes in REAL handy when ya lose power in your house in the dead of winter.

the big buddy heater puts out     4000 BTU on low
                                             9000 BTU on med
                                            18000 BTU on high          PLUS, it has a built in fan for circulating the warm air too, which helps heat the shanty faster.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:06 PM »
get a 5 pound tank. 1 lb green tanks are $3.00 for one. and you don't want to have to carry a 20 lber, it cost $5 to get the 5 lber filled and it will last 2 days of fishing.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2009, 12:01 AM »
I fish bodies of water for Pike and Walleye. The bodies of water I fish allow 6 lines per fisherman and I'm in and out of the shanty all day.  My Eskimo quick flip 3 has air vents (screens) built into the top for Carbon Monoxide to escape. I put my Mr. Heater sunflower on low and run the hose underneath my shack to a 5 lbs. tank. It keeps my shack toasty all day and if I wanted to crank it up when it gets really cold outside I could fish in a tshirt if I wanted. My other issue is $$$. I could drop $3-$5 for 1 lbs. tanks all season, not to mention the additional 1 lbers to run the lantern for night fishing. I found a hardware store that sells the smaller propane tanks (3 lbs?) which I think will suit me well. I appreciate the feedback.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:52 AM »
get a 5 pound tank. 1 lb green tanks are $3.00 for one. and you don't want to have to carry a 20 lber, it cost $5 to get the 5 lber filled and it will last 2 days of fishing.

I have been wanting a 5 or 11 lb propane tank, but I can't find them anywhere. Found a few listed online, but it looks like they go for $60 or more. Guess I will keep hunting on craigslist.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.