Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Ice conditions

(1/8) > >>

woodchip:
Last week ponds in Cumberland county had ice 14" thick, today ice in same ponds ice was solid but only 4" of ice  holes every where were wide open some 2ft in dia. holes that were made a week ago and holes made 2 days ago were free of ice coat . along shore lines  ice was even thinner. Lakes controled by dams are being lowered earlier this winter making dangerous condition in Piscataquas county. time to launch boats in open lakes is coming very soon!!!!

Seamonkey84:
When I got out today,  I found launch at sabattus is wide open, we got onto the ice on the opposite side of the point. we only had about 6” close to shore, a bit less out away from the shore so I didn’t go too far. The top two inch weren’t great. Many of those old holes that opened up and made it a hazard running for flags.
I was on little ossipee yesterday, 9” of what looked like mostly solid clear ice, but the inlet at that launch was making that beach area open up too, wasn’t much space to get on

Jim_C.:
IF&W needs to get on the stick and give us an early open water season opener.  They gave us a couple extra weeks in March about 2 times in the last 30 years.  This year seems ripe.  FWIW, I'll be contacting them today ;D

gamefisher:

--- Quote from: Jim_C. on Mar 05, 2024, 07:35 AM ---IF&W needs to get on the stick and give us an early open water season opener.  They gave us a couple extra weeks in March about 2 times in the last 30 years.  This year seems ripe.  FWIW, I'll be contacting them today ;D

--- End quote ---

Something tells me you have enough spots in the southern zone to "get you by" Jim. :)

Jim_C.:
You may be right, but as with all things in life it doesn't hurt to nibble for more.  Life's too short not to ;D  Besides, I think the rationale for an April 1 opener on brooks, rivers, and streams is fading fast (south of Rt. 2 anyway).   Most neighboring states have already gone to open all year, C&R, ALO.  The argument that a good portion of Maine has dramatically different fish populations than other states is way too steeped in tradition and little else.  The reality, Eric, is that what I say or think has about as much weight as a chickadee feather ::)  I wouldn't expect to see changes anytime soon ;)

--- Quote from: gamefisher on Mar 05, 2024, 07:39 AM ---Something tells me you have enough spots in the southern zone to "get you by" Jim. :)

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version