New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1027704 times)

Offline 315Angler$

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #6930 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:47 PM »
Fished Williams this afternoon. Lots if ice. 12" few machines. Settled randomly at 14' Caught roughly 30 perch. 15 keepers. Two 13" jumbos. The on off blizzard made moving tough. Slid into 19' 2 hours before dark. 0/1 on walleye. Lost a beauty at the hole and added 1 more jumbo. We headed off the lake when the next front of snow was about to engulf us. Should have trusted my gut and slid in closer to the pencil bouy line. The drag was decent but got 3"+ deeper today. Everyone was pretty scattered. Guys near us said they just got a bunch of dinks. Hopefully Feb is a nicer to us. I'll prob slide to a different part of the lake next trip.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #6931 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:13 PM »
How much snow is on top?
I'm coming up this weekend and just trying to plan accordingly
Thanks in advance

Offline 315Angler$

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6932 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:41 AM »
How much snow is on top?
I'm coming up this weekend and just trying to plan accordingly
Thanks in advance

As of the walk off last night about 4-5". It was pretty windy so some drifts a little deeper. She def still not a horrible drag but I prefer 0" lol.  Forecast doesn't show any snow the next few days. But if your coming up Sat keep an eye on the weather. Sat high of 10° and 15-25 mph winds with high gust possible. NNW so the south shore won't shield you at all.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6933 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:09 AM »
 Long day for me yesterday , fished with the goon and BMV , fished from 25-41’, every hole I pulled pin pike most of those places are my perch spots 😱, BMV found a small school of perch , Goon and I got over there late afternoon, I ended up with and even dozen perch 10-13.5”
 BMV gave a beaten  , by the time we picked up and moved 1/4 mile he had another 14 fish
 And the sledding is a bumpy ride

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6934 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:37 AM »
Got out yesterday to track down some eyes. First time out in 4 days. Fished from 2:00-5:00. Started out with a few perch and the eyes moved in. Brought home 3 nice eaters but landed 10 keepers and 5 shorts. Felt good to give some sore mouths lol. Snow was cranking up pretty good on the way off at dark. Some slush spots showing up.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6935 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:39 AM »
Good work guys!

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6936 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:23 AM »
Hey all,

New to the area and had some questions about accessing on the south shore.  Oneida Shores County Park says it's closed for construction work.  Does anyone know if you can access from there to ice fish?  If not, what would be the nearest access in that area? Thanks in advance!
Borios would be the closest

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6937 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:58 AM »
As of the walk off last night about 4-5". It was pretty windy so some drifts a little deeper. She def still not a horrible drag but I prefer 0" lol.  Forecast doesn't show any snow the next few days. But if your coming up Sat keep an eye on the weather. Sat high of 10° and 15-25 mph winds with high gust possible. NNW so the south shore won't shield you at all.
I plan on bringing the wheeler as long as the snow isnt too bad...
Definitely keeping an eye on the wind... if it's too bad I'll skip and stay home and fish local

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6938 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:16 AM »
Aww man...... Anyone pick up a black soft sided rod locker west of lewis point this morning?? It fell out of my sled on the walk back in. Please text me @716.785.3650

There was a guy on Diehards Facebook page who found a black/yellow HT soft sided rod locker and was looking for the owner....check the diehards FB page if you think it's yours.

Offline yankmyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6939 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:30 AM »
There is a pickup plowing snow on the ice off Sylvan Beach. Check out the camera.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6940 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:32 AM »
There is a pickup plowing snow on the ice off Sylvan Beach. Check out the camera.
They were doing it the other night also,  there is snowmobile drags next month

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6941 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:36 PM »
One cld hope they'd plow out about a half mile or so. How's it for hauling gear? Snow, slushy?? Thanks for any info.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline stas60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6942 on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:12 PM »
Patches of snow. Wasn't a bad walk yesterday.

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6943 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:29 PM »
Has anyone been to Vern and Mikes Bait & Tackle in Brewerton? Curious how there bait is, never been.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6944 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:45 PM »
Had some consistency issues with the previous ownership, but no idea about new one.  Hope it becomes a great asset for south shore!  let us know when you find out.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6945 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:24 PM »
vern and  mikes  is  open and  have  what you need  good  guys  mike  also is the  man that makes  casting bobbers

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6946 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:33 PM »
vern and  mikes  is  open and  have  what you need  good  guys  mike  also is the  man that makes  casting bobbers
where is it?

Offline Natethefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6947 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:54 PM »
I'm heading out to Oneida on Friday. I've only been there twice and only cought 1 walleye. Do you guys have spots or tips to catch more walleye. Thank you

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6948 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:42 PM »
I’ve got a head start on bobbers my friend!!!!😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6949 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:44 PM »
where is it?
Bartell Rd, Brewerton
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6950 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:07 PM »
I'm heading out to Oneida on Friday. I've only been there twice and only cought 1 walleye. Do you guys have spots or tips to catch more walleye. Thank you
No offense but i certainly won't give up my spots, because I've worked hard at doing my own research studying maps and actually grinding away on thos spots to see if they produce... no body Is going to give you spots.....
However... I'll gladly share some tips..
Study a contour map... look for transition areas... cuts... bends... flats... that could be a funnel for fish.... early a.m. bite I'd start shallower.. midday-early afternoon switch to a little deeper location....
When you have successful share with everyone and over time MAYBE someone will share their spot with you if you have a spot to share with them
Good luck!!!!!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6951 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:15 PM »
No offense but i certainly won't give up my spots, because I've worked hard at doing my own research studying maps and actually grinding away on thos spots to see if they produce... no body Is going to give you spots.....
However... I'll gladly share some tips..
Study a contour map... look for transition areas... cuts... bends... flats... that could be a funnel for fish.... early a.m. bite I'd start shallower.. midday-early afternoon switch to a little deeper location....
When you have successful share with everyone and over time MAYBE someone will share their spot with you if you have a spot to share with them
Good luck!!!!!

X2^^
Far more rewarding working hard, fishing new ground and doing it on your own. Trial and error. Some days you fish the right areas and some you don’t. You’re not really learning anything by being handed a “hot spot”. Because when the fish move you’ll be back to square one. Just keep after it. Good luck

Offline Natethefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6952 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:30 PM »
Thank you guys.  good luck out there

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6953 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:07 PM »
Navionics on your phone the most important 15$ u can spend on fishing.

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6954 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:34 PM »
Navionics on your phone the most important 15$ u can spend on fishing.
X2...just map out a few spots on the map. Some lakes are more accurate than others but gets you close. Look for humps, saddles, break lines, etc. Drill a bunch of holes and check for fish. Move to next piece of structure. Pay attention to depth and time of day and you will be able to find them. Hit some shallow areas early and work your way out. On the way back don't be afraid to recheck those spots you tried on the way out. Move as much as you need to.

Offline Grizzy23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6955 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:37 PM »
Borios would be the closest

I appreciate the info hrdcore

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6956 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:55 PM »
I’m heading out Saturday for my first trip of the season and wondering how the water clarity is on the south shore. It was pretty green all fall and wondering how much it has cleared up since?
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6957 on: Jan 27, 2022, 03:49 AM »
X3 on the Navionics app, and great info guy's! Two options here, 1. Pick a likely spot and wait them out or 2. Run and gun until you find fish. Figuring it out takes time and when you hit them based on your own input and effort, the reward is sooo much sweeter! Good luck, tight lines, and a safe successful season to you all!

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6958 on: Jan 27, 2022, 05:05 AM »
would like  know this what type of fishing line
to use for jigging walleye?
test pound  to use  and clear line or color?
thank you
snowsnake

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6959 on: Jan 27, 2022, 05:34 AM »
would like  know this what type of fishing line
to use for jigging walleye?
test pound  to use  and clear line or color?
thank you
I run braid as my main line... attatch a tiny barrel swivel to end and run a 3 foot leader of 10-12lb fluorocarbon to jig

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.