Author Topic: Crappie weight/length question  (Read 15478 times)

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
Crappie weight/length question
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Does anyone know how much a 19" crappie would weigh?  That is the longest one I have ever heard of being caught around here.  I have no idea on what to guess it's weight to be.  I am thinking it has to challenge the state record.  Any crappie experts out there?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Crappie weight/length question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Not sure how the formula works but there is a book called Crappie Wisdom by Steve McCadams from Paris Tennessee I believe that will tell you anything you can imagine about crappie and ways to measure weight .
I think he even says determining the weight of a crappie is hard because of the natural growth rate being very different from region to region .

Good Luck !

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:12 PM »

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2007, 02:44 PM »
Weights will vary among type of crappie and region where caught.  I'm sure same length fish from the same lake can even have varying weights.  A good rule is that white crappies will weight less then a black crappie of the same length.  Blacks have a fuller body size and carry more weight then the whites.  Whites will usually grow slightly longer then blacks.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2007, 02:46 PM »
I looked up the MN state records and they had one on there that was 18" and it was just shy of 4lbs. 

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:56 AM »
It is way to hard to say it will very so much from area to area state to state.  I took a fish that was a tad over 18 inches was my largest it was under 4 lbs our state record is 18 and 4 pounds and some change.  Mine was not even close.  Then if you read the web page for PA records there are multiple fish (Crappie) listed that are 18 and over that are not close to the record.

Snapper

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:29 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/fish_weight_calculator.php

for this one you need the girth and length.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Unfortunately this formula is garbage. At least in the girth dimension. a v12 in length by 8 inch girth weighs the same as a 12in Length with a 40 inch girth. apparently girth isn't taken into account in that calculator

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:05 AM »
It works for bass. Maybe crappie growth is such, that girth growth rate correlates relatively the same to the length growth rate .

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2007, 01:44 AM »
my personal best  was 18 1/4" and weighed 3# 8 oz.  the Ne state record is at 4# 11 oz  last i knew,  dont know the length.  saw one years ago that a catfisherman caught on a trot line that tipped my hand scale at an even 5#.  It was folded into the bottom of the 5 gal. bucket and the tail hung over the top and over the edge.  "significantly"!  In our state by the guide that the state gives us a 15" crappie weighs approximately 2#s which is the master angler cut off line.  If you got one over that you better find you\r secret stash and seriously think about who your fav taxidermist is. 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.