Author Topic: cant seem to find em ..  (Read 1430 times)

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
cant seem to find em ..
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:52 AM »
I fish a Lake in the U.P of mich ...In the summer months I can Find Crappies all over the lake ...But winter they seeem to  be gone ....Now the llake I fish is Like a Big bowl ..It also has 1 river/ stream feeding into it & 1  River / stream going out with a fish ladder ...I think the lake is in the  20ft range for the most part .....I have been all over  it with electrronics & drilled Many many holes ..with nothing to show .except LOTS of stunted perch ....Also lots of water wolves in the lake ""Pike "".....Any thoughts ...I could even post a pic of the lake

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: cant seem to find em ..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:56 AM »
Try the basin or middle where it is the deepest. When there is alot of snow cover , mid winter crappies will suspend in deep water. I have been catching them suspended at 8 Fow in 12-15Fow . Will be different according to basin depth on a given waterbody , but the schools will usually roam the basin in mid winter . Ifya can get a depthmap, do so and fish the basin closest to where ya catch em in spring.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:41 PM »
ive been working from the inflowing streams move out to deeper water if its slow.figured it the best place when minnows and bugs or whatnot get blown into the lake.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I also live in the UP and have small crappie lakes if you dont mind me askin where you are close to? We catch a lot but all are 8" or so. DasRottweiler hit the nail right on the head though, deepest water, closest to a bay or watershed that they spawn. Do your research in the early spring and find the deepest water in the winter. They are there for oxygen and its the warmest part of the lake and all the bait fish will also be in that deep water.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.