Author Topic: Deadstick for crappie  (Read 7723 times)

Offline For A Few Perch More

• IceShanty Rookie
Deadstick for crappie
« on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:54 PM »
What is the best action on a deadstick rod for crappie.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Deadstick for crappie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:44 PM »
Deadstick usually means no action at all.

I use a couple of rattle reels, which I just let "hang" in the hole from my shack.

I usually have  a minnow on these, and do not jig or move the bait, but let it swim naturally.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:13 AM »
well on my deadstick rod I have a small jig with a crappie minnow and thats it...........put a slip bobber on and let the minnow do the work for you...............if you are trying to jig for them give the Frostee Jiggin Spoon a shot I have had great success this year with that for catching crappies.............. .....

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:52 PM »
use a ice buster bobber, a couple split shot, and either a plain hook or demon jig with small minnow.javascript:void(0);

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:31 AM »

If you are looking for the rod action....I use M or ML on a deadstick. I usually use one of my shorter rods to ensure a good hookset when I have to grab it quickly

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:56 AM »
I look for a soft tip on the rod for the first 3 inches or so and then a backbone that is like IceJunky said M or ML...I like the soft tip because I can see when they are taking the bait and they don't feel the rod.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:41 PM »
The HT Ice Blues and Frabill Quick Tip Bro rods make a very good deadstick rod.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:27 PM »
A little bobber...or the most noodly rod you can get your hands on.  Those HT ice blues would do it.  I use a Cajun UL rod, no longer made. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:51 PM »
along the lines of fishing a deadstick for crappie, would you all recommend a minnow on a bobber? if so how do you hook the minnow to keep it in its most natural state possible?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Just like open water, hook the minnows through the tail.  They struggle a lot in place.  If you hook them through the lips, they have a tendency to swim all over.  Sometimes that good, but most of the times I find that to work against me on the ice.  You can also hook them through the back dorsal fin.  That get's me the most reliable hook set.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:34 AM »
Just like open water, hook the minnows through the tail.  They struggle a lot in place.  If you hook them through the lips, they have a tendency to swim all over.  Sometimes that good, but most of the times I find that to work against me on the ice.  You can also hook them through the back dorsal fin.  That get's me the most reliable hook set.
X2  also for a bobber I use a tear drop shaped bobber by thill. It's a slip bobber and is great as long as you are fishing in a shack of some sort.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:30 PM »
I like my homebuilt 30" deadsticking rod.  A splitshot and a lively minnow is all the action you need.  I let the rod sit in the holder, and the minnow makes the magic happen.   :icefish:
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline gotcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:21 AM »
Is it possible to deadstick without a minnow?  Will they bite with just wax worms?  I can't get minnows in my area in the winter.  Any suggestions for a deadstick or just foget it.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:09 AM »
Is it possible to deadstick without a minnow?  Will they bite with just wax worms?  I can't get minnows in my area in the winter.  Any suggestions for a deadstick or just foget it.

Yeap...even a rare sometimes deadstick plastic will produce.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:56 PM »

ML
EYECONICFISHING

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:19 AM »
There are rods designed specific for this technique and they work great.  The 2 sizes I use are 24 and 30".  You can set the hook in a shanty with this size rod.  Any bait will do, minnow, spike, waxie; whatever you choose.  You can even use a soft plastic.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:28 AM »
I usually have one dead stick in one hole with jig and minnow on it with a small bobber. The hole next to it I jig with a swedish pimple with waxies. This way I feel I have the best of both worlds.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:06 PM »
I also perfer the stiffer rod. Medium action. I try to use a longer rod for the deadstick. I rig it with a slip bobber set to the depth of where I am marking fish. the longer rod will allow a little easier hookset if you leave a little slack in the line to allow the fish to really take the bait. When using floats you want them to have just enough buoyancy to keep the very top of it out of the water. this reduces the amount of resistance when the fish takes it.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Resistance isn't always just about weighing down the float.  The size of the float makes a lot of difference as well.  A small pencil float will have little resistance and boyancy while being pulled into the water.

I prefer a medium rod with a slipbobber as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.