Author Topic: What do I need for crappie fishing?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline michigancrappieman

• IceShanty Rookie
What do I need for crappie fishing?
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I've ice fished a few times in my life but never got serious. I want to start doing it more. I wanted to know what I need to start out. I would like to know what your favorite rods, reels, lines, jigs, baits, and what ever else you use are. I have a Strikemaster 8 inch lazer agur so I don't need an auger. Just everything else. It's always overwhelming for me when I take up a new hobby. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
Re: What do I need for crappie fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:38 PM »
I run a 30" cadillac elite rod (it is ultra light), okuma ul 10 reel spooled with 2# stren line. I buy my jigs all over the place. Last batch got them from custom jigs and spins. Great jigs for sure. Use mousies or a combo of plastics and a ureo maggot red and whites and some days they only take a pin head minnow. These are just my choices for crappie. They work for me. Good luck.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:55 PM »
well at least a fishing pole, line, and hooks... ;D

My favorite combo is.

Thorne bros panfish rod 32" paired with a Shimano Chronarch 50Mg reel spooled with 2# Gamma ESP line.

The prior favorite combo was.
Thorne Bros. panfish rod 32" paired with a Shimano Sustain 1000 FE reel spooled with 2# Gamma ESP line.

I started out with
Shakespeare Ugly Lite rod 27" with a Shakespeare Intrepid 30 reel spooled with 6# Trilene Microice.

I did fine with the starting out equipment but the more I got into it, the better equipment I prefer to hone in my techniques.  So in the end, high dollar equipment has really enhanced the experience and enjoyment.  Well actually had one of those wooden dowel rod with the pegs for the line too...used once and retired that rod pretty much.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:51 PM »
they make a chronarch in a spinning reel?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:55 PM »
they make a chronarch in a spinning reel?

It's a baitcasting reel.  It's overprice expensive set up, but the hookset and fish pulling is soo smooth and easy...it's been a great experience.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Great advice from others.  I might add to just look at the other threads on here for the best jigs and then get the 10 that are mentioned the most times, can't go wrong.  Experiment in your lake(s) for the best colors, you can use wife's nail polish to fine tune colors or add eyes if needed to change to the hot color.  I lost the last two red jigs from last weekend to some bigger trout and the store was out of those so just now "painted"  some red diamond and tungsten jigs for tomorrow.  And use a small black swivel 2' above the jig, they don't want it when it's spinning. ;)

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Has anyone said Vexilar. Most important item in my box. Other than that dont worry about your rods and reel combo that much. any UL or Light action will work. The important part is your line. Get a good quality 2 lb ice line. next is a sping bobber. Most of the time you will be tipping your jig with waxies, grubs, maggots or minnow heads so the jig itself isnt real important they will go for whats on the hook. I reccomend the Genx bug as it is my favorite jig head.

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Other than that dont worry about your rods and reel combo that much. any UL or Light action will work.

Not to be mean but a stick and string will work too. Rods, reels, and lines must match each other or else you wont hook fish. That is why you hear people say they get bites but they just can't hook 'em. Their equipment doesn't match each other, the situation, or both.
The reel is very important and it must have a smooth drag on it. If you pull out line and you have varying tension, do not get it. You may be fishing for crappie but if you get the fish of a lifetime, "will work" wont cut it. With a smooth drag you can land anything with 2# test. You do not have to spend a $100 on a reel either. I've come across some $10-$15 reels with better drags than a $75 reel. You must also match the rod to your line type and weight. If it is too stiff you will break your line when you set the hook and if it is two light you wont set the hook. If your line has no stretch and you have a fast rod you will rip the hooks out of the fishes mouth. If your line is stretchy and you have a slow-soft rod you wont set the hook good enough. Some people might think this is overboard but when you land that 15"-17" crappie you will be glad you went overboard.
Good enough is not good enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.