The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Contemplating changing augers  (Read 1375 times)

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
Contemplating changing augers
« on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Hey everyone. Been thinking lately about changing augers. I currently have an Eskimo mako 43cc with an 8” and 10” flighting. It’s never given me a single issue in the 7 years I’ve owned it, but I’m bored and have been looking at different augers. I’m not ready to go electric, but I am thinking about propane. Looking at the Jiffy 46xtreme with a 9” flighting. Can anyone elaborate on this auger with some real world experience? Not a lot of reviews on it. Thanks, Mike.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Contemplating changing augers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Think propane has had its swan song sometime back ..between weight and some 1st gen issues it lost its shine . Lots of folks start with a Jiffy (gas or propane) and switch to another brand and/or power source . Jiffys electric never made a blip on the radar ..also note Jiffys turn counter clockwise ..so there is no way of lighting the load with composite drill units or even converting a hand auger drill unit . Never been a fan . Saw my first Jiffy  gas auger new out of the box Christmas time that never ran right ..my buddy exchanged that in for a Strikemaster Mag 2000 before the beginning  of the new year.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I have not ran my jiffy pro 4 lite very much at all but its not heavy and starts in a few pulls after sitting years and no dirty old gas to clean out of the carbs is nice.It cuts fast too thats why ive ran jiffys and have owned many models.high speed drilling compared to slower transmission gearing compared to other brands.jmo plus the chipper blades last forever without sharpening.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2020, 08:04 PM »
Read the writing on the wall. walk away from gas/propane powered augers in favor of electric before you can't give yours away. Yep, I still got a gas job around but my primary tool is electric. Go which ever way you wanna. Electric is the future...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Agree with Esox. Look at how it is with Jiffy... I have a flawless, as new Jiffy 30 with the Techumseh motor, 10" bit, new spare blade and a cover that I couldn't sell for $150. No one wants them. The propane will go the way of the dinosaur soon as well. They are great, but still just too big and heavy. You'll want an electric at some point, I highly suggest going that route. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2020, 10:15 AM »
NDIceman - never had the unit you are looking at, but can give you a review of the Jiffy 4 Lite propane auger.  I wouldn't recommend it.  I have to agree with all others that chimed in here - go electric.  I did the same.  I used the propane auger for two seasons and had plenty of issues with trying to use it in the cold.  It wouldn't start when it got cold.  Over time we had to resort to putting the unit in a running truck to get it to thaw out. 

I switched over the the K drill and have not looked back.  The 24 volt SM is a promising unit that I think is supposed to compete with the drills.  Time will tell on this unit.  The 40 v SM is a good one and I have not heard many complaints about those units.  Plenty of guys running these around MN and this would be the next move for me if I go that route.  If you are fishing in 24" of ice - the electric units here will take care of that.  If you have to go thru more than that, then I would recommend staying with the gas units. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2020, 11:56 AM »
ELECTRIC is the way to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.