The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: What do people think about the Presumpscot river stockings...  (Read 13651 times)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What do people think about the Presumpscot river stockings...
« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:41 PM »
it's not worth it to crap on fly-fishing.......why?  Do you not have the skills ;D  It's easier than casting a spinning reel.....It's not expensive either.....pick up a fly rod at wal-mart and give me a call.....I guarentee you will be hooked.....so no more :'( :'( :'( about fly fishing.....what's the point?  to fire people up?  I am done so before I go..... :-* :-*

where would you like to see them?  don't take me the wrong way....I understand your point....afterall I get along with toguebuster....so I must be able to see both sides ;D

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:45 PM »
maybe you should learn how to fly fish and give it a try before you start trash talking something you clearly know nothing about, the presumpscot is a very fun place to fish in the fall when other places have closed. and yes it may be crowded but flyfishermen (sorry flyboys) are some of the nicest people i have ever met and it is actually fun to fish with other people that enjoy the same thing as yo do. im assuming the only reason the state stocks that place so much is because it IS FFO. and most of them get released.

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:47 PM »
I would like to see those fish anywhere but there...or any other FFO water

In general somewhere I can have access to them without picking up something else

Is it true that there are pools in that river that have loads of fish that wont bite anything?  I have heard that from a few different people and if it IS true thats ridiculous...These are the type of fish I would like to see spread around

I hear ya with TB, he and I dont see eye to eye on this one, but we do on a fair number of other topics

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:49 PM »

Is it true that there are pools in that river that have loads of fish that wont bite anything?  I have heard that from a few different people and if it IS true thats ridiculous...

not true.....they will always hit.....you just need the right fly ;)    Stripers though.......Clouser Minnow.....OLIVE is all you need

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Icefishmaine...

you are right, I dont know a whole lot about flyfishing, I dont profess to...  you are also right about fishing with people that enjoy the same thing as you, I am SURE this theory would still hold true IF the presumpscot was open to ALO even (seeing how it holds true with just about EVERY outdoor activity I know of)

If the presumpscot IS primarily C&R then WHY do you all need so many fish stocked in there twice a year every year?

brooktrouter

« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:55 PM »
I'm shocked at this ,  .6 percent,wow ,you still bought your licence,Still gonna catch a fish? my guess is yes ,if you want to. Personally I'm not a truck chaser. As my nic may suggest i like fishing for brookies. Guess what? I've spent the last 30 years fishing them. My favorite trips each year are spent searching and catching the native fish not the $2.oo fish coming out of a truck!!!  Put the time and effort fighting though the tangles and blowdowns. See what we have here naturally ,then complain about your $2.00 fish!!!Gimme a break!!!!

bluewinger

« Reply #36 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:08 PM »
ya sir there are pools on somedays that hold a lot of fish but it's not that they won't bite it that they are feedin very discreetly and that some people may not have the rite flies
i've seen days when i've sat and watched people fish a po0ll and go thru a dozen dif flies and move on not catchin a thing and 15 min later a nother fisherman comes in and trys something completely dif and boom he's hooked four fish in 10 min. the river gets stocked so heavily becuz it is ffo and and most people cnr but the length of that restricted area is about a 1/4 mile long with a damn at the beginning and an impoundment ju 300 yrds maybe a lil more below the bridge on 35. and the impoundment is general law. sayin that in the dead heat of summer the fish are usually in the lake and not in then river till they move up for the spawn  the spot that they are put in allows a trickle down effect for all the fisherman makin the opportunity to fish for them last a lil longer

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #37 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:09 PM »
trouter...

I agree natives are more fun, but the reality is that its getting harder and harder to go find natives.  I live in southern maine, I manage to make a couple bushwhacking adventures each year, its great!  However what I am really talking about is leisurely fishing (at home)

I dont have 30 years of whacking my way through the tangles and blowdowns under my belt (I'm only 21) but I am well on my way

.6% adds up quickly...if they stocked all waters the way they stocked the presumpscot there would only 167 stocked waters in the state of maine (out of 3000)

brooktrouter

« Reply #38 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:21 PM »
 Sir Catch ? Fish the Presumpscot!! its here in southern maine get your moneys worth!!!  Keep Bushwhacking Too!!!  ;D

bluewinger

« Reply #39 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:25 PM »
lol i got the perfect rod it a 6'6" 5wt and it deadly on lil trout streams roll cast all you need on them there lil streams  ;)

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #40 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:28 PM »
I see you aren't getting my point about not liking the presumpscot for the amount of people and popularity....I am not ready to give up and start fishing shoulder to shoulder (exaggeration) just yet.  And also, fishing the presumpscot would require getting into flyfishing...(not an option, and shouldnt have to be)

my pursuit of natives will not cease!

bluewinger

« Reply #41 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:40 PM »
lol i get your point sir and i understand your frustration but try to look at it this way the state in this instance is doing a few things at once they're saving time in that they are stocking a watershed for fisherman. they know that the fish will be released by the ffo ppl therefore going into the general law section. it reduces the amount of manpoer they havin to use stocking a watershed.there satisfying two groups at once. it also gives they out of state fisherman a good reliable area to experience some of what maine has to offer without having to do days worth of eplorin on a limited time schedule

brooktrouter

« Reply #42 on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Wingers right, it also gives us southern mainah's a place to go and catch a fish or 2 within a short time, like after work. 5 wgts a good choice. best thing is that they're there too be caught again and provide some fun.

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:45 PM »
ill buy you a rod and take you fishing anytime and like blufin said you will be hooked.and you can catch fish like these

just a few, all within 3hrs of york county some are presumscot,and pleasant in windham!! come on sir ,ill take you this spring .
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #44 on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:56 PM »
hahaha...ur breaking down the walls of my fortress

The truth is that I dont have the time to pick up flyfishing, you probly know, or have heard about the life of a poor college student...learn (and bowhunt, rifle hunt, icefish, turkey hunt) all fall/winter/spring, work all summer to pay for all the learning

I have a butt-load of saltwater flies that somebody left in/on our truck back 5 years ago...estimated at $2-300

Just cant do it...lol

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:59 PM »
bring the flies ,take an hour or two for yourself and off we go !!!!!all work and no play makes sir catchalot a dull boy!!!!!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #46 on: Mar 22, 2005, 08:09 PM »
Tell ya what...I gotta make a trip home before college is out (May 6th ish?)  So sometime before the end of april would be a good approximation...On this trip home I would be willing to go to place like (correct me if I am wrong) the Pleasant River which is AFO...you bring your fly gear, I bring the spinning gear.  You catch more fish = I try flyfishing; I catch more fish = I dont try flyfishing....lol  ;)

Something along those lines sounds good...does it not?   :D

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 22, 2005, 08:13 PM »
ok your in for it ,ill have jim and frances fire up the stocking truck for this one!! you dont have any idea what your getting yourself into ;D your on !!!!! let me know ,ill be on myfishfinder,get me there!!!you will have fun i promise!!!

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #48 on: Mar 22, 2005, 08:21 PM »
Alright...do you have the same name over there or what?

To be honest with you I have fished the pleasant only HOURS after the stocking truck was there...couldnt catch a darn thing.  :pinch:  I saw a bunch though!  :roflmao:

Frozen_nutts

« Reply #49 on: Mar 22, 2005, 10:53 PM »
Try the ole Garden Hackle fly

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 23, 2005, 12:43 AM »

« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2005, 07:51 AM » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey,

If you want access to all those fish that are being dumped into the presumpscot, you don't have to flyfish.  You can fish North Gorham Pond.

I've landed several brookies like bluefin's and Nitro's, not to mention several broodstock salmon, both flyfishing on the river, and fishing the pond.

That's the heaviest stocked river in the state, and has been for years.  A good number of the fish end up in North Gorham Pond.

"ditto"

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 23, 2005, 08:10 AM »
right on buddah,north gorham is good icefishing as well as good ice out !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.