The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bite Offs  (Read 5447 times)

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
Re: Bite Offs
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:05 AM »
Actually the AFW product I referred to was their 7 x 7 (49 strand) Surflon Micro Supreme. Certainly it is pricier than the 1 x 7 basic Surflon product but it is much thinner, .015", even more flexible than the 1 x 7,  resists kinking/curling and is also easily tieable with conventional knots. I've also been a big user of the 1 x 7 uncoated wire which is even thinner than Ti is the same pound test (.011" for 20#). Plus is is easy to work with, no special tools necessary and dirt cheap so damaged leaders can simply be swapped out, scavenged for swivel, hook(s) or other hardware and discarded. Here's a look at the connection you can make with uncoated wire, no crimps, just twist/tied:

By comparison Ti is not as flexible and, at least for me, more difficult to get a decent knot into. I only know this because it's been my actual experience in comparing leader materials. My other knock on Ti is it's reliability. One of it's properties is that it stretches, and not just a little, quite a bit. Stretchy metal, try it. It's actually kinda fun. Take a length you'd use for a leader, tie on your terminal stuff, get a good grip (use a tool on the hook end) and pull. It's like a rubber band, well sort of. The issue is every time it stretches the metal fatigues. You can see damage with steel or plastic (mono/fluoro) but not so with Ti. It just stretches over and over and over and at some point... Snap! It breaks without warning. How long does that take in a fishing situation? Can't say for sure but I'm just not willing to risk that.

I know, Ti and fluoro are the latest, greatest, super sexy stuff while steel is old school and pedestrian by comparison. That's just the marketing and I tend to take all that with a grain or more of salt.

This seems to be one of those topics that rages forever. Everyone has their opinions, favorites and beliefs. Seems like wire guys are on the outside a lot but that's just the way it is. I always give the latest, greatest a shot because I don't want to miss any advantage. Thing is, for the most part I usually come back to wire. I'll also not say anyone has to, I just think it's fair to make a reasonable case based on my experiences trying the different options.

You can catch a black tip with that single strand LOL Rio Wire Bite Fly Tippet, supple, tieable, don't have to worry about Haywire or crimping anything.  Using a quick strike like Jaeger posted is going to prevent the fish from choking on the bait.  I actually like to put two trebles on the same loop like the Clam Zero Rig, this allows both hooks to slide into the corner, preventing choking down the bait and scraping against the teeth so lighter fluro can be used.  This is more designed for pike fishing though, for pickerel I land them on jigging raps with 4lb, nothing you can do when they zoom in and slam a tungsten gill jig, crap happens.
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:47 AM »
I get the last laugh here ddsgt7. The wire in the pic is not single strand. It's a 1 x 7 strand uncoated wire and compared to you RIO in 20# is .005" thinner. The connection you see is what I call a "twist-tie". No crimps, no special tools though there is a very simple tool to to facilitate easier tying and makes it look neater. The basic connection is twice through the eye and simply wrap the tag up the standing line 5 - 7 times. Done. I usually heat the very end of the wire to remove the temper there so it finishes easily and neatly.

That single hook is my go to for most stuff. It's a #10 so it's a good bit smaller than most guys use. I still set pretty quickly. If there's line going I'm pulling. Don't miss very many. As for Q/S rigs? Big believer for big bait. That's live over 5" and anything dead. Same uncoated wire, same connection, same hooks for live bait, #6s for deads. All hooks are wide gap, round bend short shank and 3 or 4x strong.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2021, 11:06 AM »
I get the last laugh here ddsgt7. The wire in the pic is not single strand. It's a 1 x 7 strand uncoated wire and compared to you RIO in 20# is .005" thinner. The connection you see is what I call a "twist-tie". No crimps, no special tools though there is a very simple tool to to facilitate easier tying and makes it look neater. The basic connection is twice through the eye and simply wrap the tag up the standing line 5 - 7 times. Done. I usually heat the very end of the wire to remove the temper there so it finishes easily and neatly.

That single hook is my go to for most stuff. It's a #10 so it's a good bit smaller than most guys use. I still set pretty quickly. If there's line going I'm pulling. Don't miss very many. As for Q/S rigs? Big believer for big bait. That's live over 5" and anything dead. Same uncoated wire, same connection, same hooks for live bait, #6s for deads. All hooks are wide gap, round bend short shank and 3 or 4x strong.

The wire in the first pic (single hook) is the same as the second pic (double hook)? Diameters look different that first stuff looks thick!  Wasn't laughing at you, I'd use heavier gear if I was fishing Wisconsin as well.  Big lively or fresh (dead) is key, I refuse to use those diseased store kept 3" shiners.  5-6" live chubby chub
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2021, 01:08 PM »
Actually the first pic is 20# wire and the Q/S rigs were made with 30#. Same manufacturer. The first pic was pretty close up so everything looks huge. I'm good with your comments, I was just responding to your "LOL" about the blacktip  ;D

I'm not sure Wisconsin is necessarily the "Land of Giants". Most of our pike here are pretty pedestrian with fish over 30" pretty uncommon except for some waters managed for bigger fish or Green Bay. I also like good lively live bait but I also swing deads frequently. Used to be smelt, then bloater chubs now it's what ever I can get my hands on: lake herring (almost too big), big suckers that went belly up, or fun stuff I find at the Asian grocery.

Offline OhhDam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:17 PM »
Thanks to all for great advise. Your pointers helped me & my 6 y.o. son land this baby. That is both of our first ever pickerel!

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Actually the first pic is 20# wire and the Q/S rigs were made with 30#. Same manufacturer. The first pic was pretty close up so everything looks huge. I'm good with your comments, I was just responding to your "LOL" about the blacktip  ;D

I'm not sure Wisconsin is necessarily the "Land of Giants". Most of our pike here are pretty pedestrian with fish over 30" pretty uncommon except for some waters managed for bigger fish or Green Bay. I also like good lively live bait but I also swing deads frequently. Used to be smelt, then bloater chubs now it's what ever I can get my hands on: lake herring (almost too big), big suckers that went belly up, or fun stuff I find at the Asian grocery.

Ever have any success dying dead baits?  I got some Pautze fire dye that gives extra scent as well, it's chartreuse dye, gonna try to hang some green dead chubbies :)
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline M.Pershing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:18 PM »
In my opinion, a heavy fluoro leader is the best way to go to prevent toothy fish biting you off.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:20 PM »
In my opinion, a heavy fluoro leader is the best way to go to prevent toothy fish biting you off.

I agree.
JG

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:20 PM »

I agree.
JG

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:04 AM »
South Bend In-visa leader smallest steel leader comes in 12 lb. , 18 lb. 27lb.,and up the 12 lb. is about the size of 6lb mono. even the 27 lb. is about like 10lb mon. and nothing is gonna bite it off. I've had pickerel bite off spider wire, and that stuff you can't cut with a clipper.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:21 AM »
Ever have any success dying dead baits?  I got some Pautze fire dye that gives extra scent as well, it's chartreuse dye, gonna try to hang some green dead chubbies :)

I've used color on both live and dead bait. DK's Magic Powder, food coloring, various blingy additions have all entered in at some point. The Magic Powder is easy to use and can be applied to live bait as well as dead. Pink seems to be a good color for some reason. Also the addition of some red flashabou works well with both live and dead bait, particularly if the dead is bobbing gently under a wind tipup.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:45 AM »
I've used color on both live and dead bait. DK's Magic Powder, food coloring, various blingy additions have all entered in at some point. The Magic Powder is easy to use and can be applied to live bait as well as dead. Pink seems to be a good color for some reason. Also the addition of some red flashabou works well with both live and dead bait, particularly if the dead is bobbing gently under a wind tipup.

Do you tie that onto a hook like you would a fly???
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Paternoboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I've been using a 2 ft. 15lb fluoro hybrid leader off a swivel for pickeral.  I put the leader at the end of my 4, 3, and even 2 lb test mono and it works fine on meat/dead pole.  Works fine for perch also.  For jigging I take my chances with 4 and 6lb mono...of course some breakoffs but not as many as you would think...
Live to Fish, and vice versa...

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:22 PM »
Paternity,

Is the hybrid leader you use made by Yozuri?

Offline Paternoboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:46 PM »
Jaeger,
It is.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:50 PM »
That's really good stuff.  I use it for leader on my walleye jigging rod.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:52 PM »
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:54 PM »
That's the stuff, but I don't use the ice version.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Awesome, thanks

Offline Paternoboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2021, 01:34 PM »
Same as Jaeger...I don't use the "ice" version of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.