Author Topic: Buying gear  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Buying gear
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:01 PM »
So I am still fairly new to ice fishing. When is the best time of year to get the beat deals on equiptment? I was thinking about buying a Clam drill plate and a new pop up shelter for next season.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
Re: Buying gear
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:15 PM »
End of the season (end of February through March), when all the sporting goods stores clearance ice gear. That and Christmas is when you can get the best deals.
Come on fish!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:05 AM »
Shelters, definitely at the end of the season. Stores don’t want to store stuff like that all year. Try to haggle more of a discount if you can, never hurts.

Clam Plate, you’d probably have better luck on eBay or waiting until the start of next season and get one fast. Items like the Clam Plate are one of those things that only get a certain number produced each season. So, when they are out of stock, they are out of stock until next season. I got lucky and found one locally about a month ago. Last one they had and out of stock everywhere else I’ve seen.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 06:07 AM »
End of season ...good deals on what is left ....and from September to Black Friday ....my experience is that before Black Friday.. percentage discounts...dollar discounts and free shipping are pretty regular/steady ....after Black Friday free shipping dwindles and your percentage off deals disappears. Dicks sporting  goods ran 40% off one item this season ..twice if I recall..that where I picked up my Clam plate .FishUSA...has some great deals throughout the season ...sign up for Emails ..register for accounts and you wont miss much .On Clam plates in particular that first cold snap/mid December of the season usually depletes any and all stock ...so get them when you can find them .Also check out the Best Deals Thread on IS.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Thanks. I will keep an eye on retailers for the Clam Plate. That might be a next season purchase.

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 01:12 PM »
saw heritage lakers at wallyworld  last spring for $13

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 02:56 PM »
I agree with the general consensus of the reply’s. End of season or mid summer. I’ve saved tons of money buying ice fishing gear at that time. As an example I bought a used flasher in August and the same ones are current fetching twice the price and would be out of my budget. I got another one, I was watching a marcum camera on eBay the other day figuring I could catch it at a great price just before the bidding ended, went back to check on it later that same day an someone hit it for the buy it now price which was more than double what they were getting over the summer.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:57 PM »
About this time right now I am seeing ice gear at Cabela's and Sportsman's on sale...they are already starting to gear up for spring/summer open water season..like others have said, retailers trying to sell it so it does not have to be either stored or sent back to their distributors.. ice rods and combos more than half off and were really getting picked over by Mid Feb.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Reeds in MN is having sales right now on augers and hub shelters. Usually good deals with free shipping

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Now is the time to start looking at the websites for deals on the shelters.  Most of the local outfitters will also price match, so if you can find one in stock - ask the vendor to price match.  You should be able to save on shipping charges there.  I did this with the Clam plate at Cabelas.  Picked this up for $40 when they had it listed for $70. 

Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace or the on-line forums is another way to find items you could pick up.  Our site here has the for sale section - this may depend on where you are located, but will give you an idea of what some items will go for. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:23 PM »
The scheels in Des Moines only has waxies and a few jigs I think, so don't expect anything from there
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:41 PM »
This has been a really good year for ice fishing.  As a result, not much gear remains.  End of season sales will be minimal compared to other years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.