Author Topic: I must be cursed, I got skunked at Mission?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
I must be cursed, I got skunked at Mission?
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:16 AM »
 I was out at Mission lake today, in front of the new hospital, 15 or so feet of water  and nothing but a few light hits around 2:00. My friends were catching Perch, Walleye and Burbot pretty consistantly last week and I've heard on this forum and others Mission, Pasqua and Katepwa are the "hot" lakes this year. I go out and nothing! Same as last week on Last Mountain. That was the same story last year at both the Fort and Last Mountain. I'm trying different depths, baits and lures but to no avail. I can hammer fish in the summer but when it snows the fishing blows for me. If this keeps up I'm gonna start a Donate-A-Perch fund so I can eat at least one this year. That or go Mick Dundee style with the dynamite! :(

P.S.  Should we move deeper or shallower than 15' ??? I've heard contradicting advice so far.
 Also, is it better in front of the " real " river that connects Echo and Mission or in front of the " fake " river in front of the new hospital? Appreciate the advice once again.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
Re: I must be cursed, I got skunked at Mission?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2006, 03:12 AM »
Only time I really fish in 15 feet for perch is when the borometer starts to drop and theyre going hard on the bite.  Usually at that depth, theyre either in there and active or they are not.  When they are look out, but usually for me this year, after 10:00 Im moving out to 17-18, then 11:00 26 +  and progressively follow them deeper.  This all depends on the day- barom pressure, cloudy, wind direc, the whole nine, best is to keep moving - Go TROLLING. 
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline TERRA-MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2006, 07:46 AM »
I know the feeling, I have been skunked the last two weekends at Pasqua, I have buddy's coming out this weekend from Alberta and sure would like to catch something! I live out at Pasqua and saw boats pull Walleyes out all summer long , I caught them and Pike right off shore  but can't find them through the ice.  Anyone have ideas on how deep I should be ?

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2006, 10:38 AM »
don't know about the chain lakes but here at home i seldom fish under 20' of water this time of year for perch.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:54 AM »
Laat saturday when the lakes were dead, I went looking for eyes on breaks, I found majority in 18-20 feet of water- completey dosile the buggers, but they were there.  Its taken my well over 300 holes and 3 afternnons to find them though.  Sure hope they stick around for a while.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:44 PM »
I fish mission tons in the winter and if your fishing in 15 feet this time of year your not going to have much success.  Move deeper and watch your water temp all week i've been fishing for perch in 35 + feet of water and even up to 50!.  Any way i've had success this time of season in deeper water but , as soon as last ice comes along i'll be moving in food the evening catches when theier feeding late in the day .  Talk to ya all l8er

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:39 PM »
your missing out bringtheice64, especially mid Feb on midwater humps in chain lakes.  15 feet id say 40% of the time- and not little gaffers- according to my calender, last Feb I caught 27 perch over 12 inches on Mission lake, all in 15 feet of water.  True, majority of perch are deeper, 25+, BUT if you know a few honey holes that are humped out, majority of the time one of those spots have the perch feeding hard.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.