Author Topic: Walleye or Pike? who can tell the difference?  (Read 8746 times)

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye or Pike? who can tell the difference?
« on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:34 PM »
If both fish are caught under the same circumstances, and filleted boneless, can you actually taste the difference? Personally, I enjoy them both, and if anything, Pike fillets cook a lot nicer.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye or Pike? who can tell the difference?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:12 PM »
I prefer the texture and flavor of pike vs walleye. I think the turnoff to pike is the bones if they do not know how to debone them.

Offline fishn4evr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I catch what you wish you caught
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:33 PM »
walleye  has better texture, cleaner fillets, taste better
"you cant catch if your lines not in the water"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:45 PM »
As long as you care for your catch it's more of a texture difference than a taste difference.

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fishn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:47 PM »
I find they taste pretty much the same.  I prefer the texture of pike.  But for ease of cleaning I like walleye.  Not that it's that hard to debone pike when you have been shown a good way

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Pike taste muddy to me, especially in the summer, walleye taste better, better texture but perch is by far, hands down, best tasting period.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Pike taste muddy to me, especially in the summer, walleye taste better, better texture but perch is by far, hands down, best tasting period.
X2, :thumbsup:

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:20 PM »
I say walleye over pike. pike have too much of a fishy taste for my liking, although I do enjoy poor man lobster when eating pike.

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:06 AM »
I agree on the texture, they are slightly different, but muddier, fishier, not a chance when caught the same. Walleye can be muddy in the summer as well. I've fished with guys that think pike are a plague, but openly admit that they taste just as good, if not better, under the same circumstances.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Perch_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:34 AM »
To me a fresh pike from cold water is equal to walleye.

Offline Gmoney21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:44 PM »
I find the walleye lighter and flakier if that makes sense, I still prefer a perch feed from nice cold water.

Offline Team Top-It 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2012, 03:07 PM »
I keep having fish frys and breading the fish Pike, Walleye and Burbot. I serve it to my friends and do not tell them which fish it is from. they seem to always pick the pike as their favorite.

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Walleye are way better then pike.  walleye have nice white fillets compared to the pike plus you dont stink like fish for a week after cleaning a walleye.  My favorite fish hands down is perch!

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Use to always hate pike and would never keep them, partly because I can't debone them properly. Caught a few this spring and decided to give them a try. They were just as good if not better tasting then the walleye that we kept. I feel that if you catch walleye and pike from really cold water the pike will taste better but there is a different in the texture. Like lots of others on here...perch is by far hands down the winner in the taste department. I would still like to try burbot.

Offline Team Top-It 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Use to always hate pike and would never keep them, partly because I can't debone them properly. Caught a few this spring and decided to give them a try. They were just as good if not better tasting then the walleye that we kept. I feel that if you catch walleye and pike from really cold water the pike will taste better but there is a different in the texture. Like lots of others on here...perch is by far hands down the winner in the taste department. I would still like to try burbot.

Burbot is very good just don't freeze it changes the taste and texture I find.

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Never usually keep pike. They do not taste bad in more northern lakes but I just can not make myself eat one from a lake south of the #1 highway.

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:34 PM »
A fresh pike 5 lbs and under is hands down my favorite! They have a way nicer texture than walleye and is much firmer and easier to work with! The bones are a pain but once u figure out the tricks to removing Y bones they are my preferred flavor! They r also very good smoked, canned, and baked. They are akso the leanest of any freshwater fish meat! On another note, pail full of perch big enough to filet is the real score! They almost have a sweet taste to them...om nom nom! 

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Like both equally for flavor, but prefer the texture of pike. "Fishy" taste only comes from carelessness in handling and getting slime on the flesh.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Nightbird is right....

Most "fishy taste" come from mishandled fish and most mushy fish has been froze, thawed, and froze again.

The best tasting fish has been kept cool, but not allowed to freeze. It has also been cleaned promptly, and cleaned well. You really don't want blood or pike slime in your fillets.

Offline Shirts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Cold water pike, hands down. My Dad taught me to debone after he and my brother learned it on a northern fishing trip a few years back. Once all those bones are gone all you have to do is dig in with some fresh homemade bread and butter and life's good!  Summer time I think they all taste a little off.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:09 PM »
nothing like a good deep fried carp, excellent with a molson canadian on a hot day.  Try it, you will love it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.