Author Topic: Entry level ice flashers  (Read 3677 times)

Offline nanau_beznez

• IceShanty Rookie
Entry level ice flashers
« on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:23 AM »
New to the forum, and relatively new to ice fishing. I'm looking for an entry level ice flasher that will be a Christmas present from Santa for a 10-year old boy. Any information and/or opinions that could help me choose among the units in the $300 (or less) range would be appreciated. So far, I'm considering Vexilar FL-8SE Genz Pack and Marcum M1 True Color Flasher.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Entry level ice flashers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:30 AM »
What features are you truly looking for ...based on your fishing style ..both units mentioned are good units but with/without the same features . If your stuck on the $300 dollar price tag the Marcum  has better features ..a true comparison  would be the Vexilar FL18 and the Marcum M1 ..its an apples to apples thing.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline nanau_beznez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Thanks for the response. What I'm looking for is a basic unit that will help a 10-year old locate and catch fish, and will last for years. We live in an area where we maybe get two months on the ice, mostly fishing a 70 acre lake, no deeper than 25-30 feet. We set up a few tip ups and jig for perch, crappie, and hopefully a few walleye, if we can find them.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Nanau,

If you are just wanting to get your boy started I would go the lower end Vexilar route. I have my dad's old FL-8SE and it works just fine for me. However you can get a pretty good deal at Scheels for the FLX-12 for $10 more and still be under the $300 mark.

https://www.scheels.com/p/vexilar-fl-8se-genz-pack-with-19-degree-ice-ducer-flasher-sonar/05276209000.html?cgid=all#s=rd_vexilar&start=4

https://www.scheels.com/p/vexilar-flx12-genz-pack/05276218012.html?cgid=all#s=rd_vexilar&start=1

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Thanks for the response. What I'm looking for is a basic unit that will help a 10-year old locate and catch fish, and will last for years. We live in an area where we maybe get two months on the ice, mostly fishing a 70 acre lake, no deeper than 25-30 feet. We set up a few tip ups and jig for perch, crappie, and hopefully a few walleye, if we can find them.

OK  now that I know your fishing style/species… ZOOM is a great feature for bottom hugging fish/perch..Low power is great for weedy situations ..cuts out the clutter..great for first/last ice when fish are in the weed beds  . This puts you in the Vexilar FL18 ..great unit ..bulletproof (mine is from 2003)..little more than $300 price..but you will never need /want to upgrade last for decades and divide the added features by 10 years and its pennies on the dollar . The Marcum has zoom but no low power .Get the/any Vexilar with a 12 deg transducer ...this will be the best all around tranducer.

Some nice video to get started on your journey .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Years or reliability..vexilar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Reconditioned units are a great way to save money

https://store.vexilar.com/reconditioned-fl18-genz-pack-w-12-ice.html

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:04 AM »
I am very happy with my Humminbird Ice 35. So far no problems with it after 4-5 years. Bigger display is easier to read than entry level Vexilars in my opinion. Can often get them with rebates and sales that put them in the $260 range.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Just a heads up your kid will figure out any flasher before it even gets out of the box ..years back my buddies kid 8 yoa or so.. figured out an Vexilar FL!8  with all its features on ice in about 15 minutes ..catching fish and teaching adults how to use it to boot.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Most electronic ship free ..just make sure ..as deal is a deal only if free ship

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/vexilar-fl-18-genz-pack-w-12-degree-ice-ducer/0000000006544?Ntt=vexilar

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Don’t be afraid to get a reconditioned unit from Vexilar. It will come with a warranty and new battery. If you can come up with the cash a FL-18 will be a great unit to get started with. I started with the fl8, upgraded to the 18. Been happy for six seasons. Upgraded  last season to a Helix unit but keeping my 18 cause I bring new to the sport out and the 18 is a turn on and start fishing unit. I remember the first time I marked and caught my first gill with my FL-8. Kind of felt like I was cheating! Good fishing with what ever you end up with!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:42 AM »
After using a Garmin on the ice, I wouldn’t use a flasher anymore.  A Striker 4 runs about $100.  The ice kit for it (not required, but I recommend it for ease of use) is about $175.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:29 PM »
i'd get a ice 35 or a m1 before i got a fl8 as you get more for your buck feature wise.  i used an 8 for 5 years or so before upgrading. 

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:42 PM »
Vexilar

Offline nanau_beznez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:33 AM »
I really appreciate everyone for taking the time to respond. After considering all of the responses, and doing some research on my own, I decided to go with the hummingbird ice 35, with the vexilar flx 12 coming in second place. Features and price were determining factors. I was able to buy the flasher and case from Hodges Marine for less than what I was prepared to pay for just the flasher from Scheels. No sales tax in FLA! I’m sure there’s going to be one happy 10-year old on Christmas morning and first ice here in the NJ Highlands. Thanks again, and happy holidays to all.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Good kuck with your choice. :thumbsup:

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Nice thing about flashers is if you get it on sale and wait for a good deal you can usually get a good return to sell it and upgrade. Reconditioned or sales are the way to go. I have not used the hummingbird but have used vex and marcum and every few years sell an upgrade. I have a marcum lx5i I plan to sell this year and upgrade again. I don’t think you can go wrong with any entry flasher, any flasher is better than no flasher. IMO the 35 is better than the fl8 but you might find a sale on a vex 12 or even 18 that I think are much much better than the 35s. After using both vex and marcum I feel marcum have more for less money but vex are more reliable. Also look into the showdowns. I have the 2.0 troller and my dad has the 5.6. Both are good units and not to expensive.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Another couple years and you can give him a fillet knife too. Until then, you're going to be stuck working on all the fish he will be bringing home.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:19 PM »
The possibilities and opinions are endless...with ANYTHING. But the end game is what you are comfortable and confident in. And although there are, and I freely admit, better locators, I stand by my FL-8. Been using it for over 20 years. It locates fish and it is bullet proof...period. And at about $260 for a refurbished unit you can't...and won't...go wrong. It's a fun little unit...especially for the newbie.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2019, 06:01 PM »
I’m sure there’s going to be one happy 10-year old on Christmas morning and first ice here in the NJ Highlands. Thanks again, and happy holidays to all.
He'll be very happy upon getting that, mine was, best present a young outdoors man can get.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Why not a Garmin Striker 4.  It will do a flasher or chart, has GPS, etc etc.  Only $100 if you supply a battery and some sort of shuttle for it.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2019, 09:48 AM »
The possibilities and opinions are endless...with ANYTHING. But the end game is what you are comfortable and confident in. And although there are, and I freely admit, better locators, I stand by my FL-8. Been using it for over 20 years. It locates fish and it is bullet proof...period. And at about $260 for a refurbished unit you can't...and won't...go wrong. It's a fun little unit...especially for the newbie.

my take is this.  any flasher will be the perfect unit in 80% of all fishing situations.  What an angler needs to do when looking at flashers is determine how many of those situations in the 20% they fish and which unit helps them navigate that situation. 

for many their fishing situations fit smack dab within that 80% and all that is necessary is an fl8.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.