Author Topic: New to graph sonar, why did I wait so long?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
New to graph sonar, why did I wait so long?
« on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:47 AM »
I’ve recently taken a Garmin Striker 4 off of my boat and bought the Ice kit for it.  This is easily the BEST budget fish finder available right now.  When compared to a Vexilar FL-8 or an Hbird ICE35, this little Garmin has far more features available to dial in you own personal preferences.  The screen lag is almost imperceptible.

If you’re on the fence about whether to get a Graph or Flasher, I would definitely lean toward the Graphs these days.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to graph sonar, why did I wait so long?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:37 AM »
I was surprised as well that I liked graph over flasher but now I just won't go back.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Will say it again. Love having a flasher and graph on the same screen,
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:55 PM »
To me the greatest advantage of the graph view (vs A-scope or flasher mode) is the several seconds of sonar return 'history' on screen ... really helps me see how the fish (mainly walleye) are reacting to different presentations.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2019, 11:51 AM »
To me the greatest advantage of the graph view (vs A-scope or flasher mode) is the several seconds of sonar return 'history' on screen ... really helps me see how the fish (mainly walleye) are reacting to different presentations.
  One season into the helix wasn’t getting the graph. Not understanding what I was seeing. Then took it out on open water, still not getting it. Put up the flasher graph split screen, started to make sense. Chalk it up to a learning curve. Don’t agree that a graph unit is the be all for ice fishing! Glad you folks love your graph units! Still like my flasher for ease of use. Hope y’all have a great season!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Got tired of the noise the flasher makes plus found it easier to see fish approach my bait with my graph. Been using it four seasons now. End of last season I got a Garmin ice unit with live vu. Didn’t have enough ice time to get the hang of front viewing but the down view is awesomely nice. Wide view of what’s below me. Can see fish coming from 20 feet away. I’ll be selling my ice5 soon.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2019, 02:05 PM »

I’m still kind of experimenting with it, but I’m finding myself looking at the graph history more than the A-Scope.  I’m running both simultaneously.  I haven’t even tried flasher mode yet.

Offline Tom7541

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2019, 03:52 PM »
Love the graph myself great to have a history of whats goin on, big plus is that you can see the cadences that your jigging and can repeat when you fine what the fish are reacting to the most dont use the flaser anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.