Author Topic: Marcum M3/Vexilar FL18  (Read 1802 times)

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum M3/Vexilar FL18
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:09 PM »
The local shop has 25% off both the Marcum M3 and Vexilar FL18 Propack. Has anyone compared these units side by side, or can suggest a recommendation between these 2 units?.

I normally fish in 30 feet of water or less, so not sure if one is more suited for this type of depth or not.

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Marcum M3/Vexilar FL18
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:15 PM »
Both very compatible..Marcum comes with a bag ..Vexilar has a low power setting (good for shallow water bottom hugging fish and weedy locations )   Does the Vexilar have the 19 or 12 deg transducer ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Both very compatible..Marcum comes with a bag ..Vexilar has a low power setting (good for shallow water bottom hugging fish and weedy locations )   Does the Vexilar have the 19 or 12 deg transducer ..

Apparently the Vex comes with the 12 deg transducer. I currently use a Humminbird Ice35, and was hoping to get a 2nd unit without breaking the bank. Don't think we will see these on sale again until the spring around here.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:56 PM »
A 12 deg transducer is a GREAT all around transducer ..you will be served well .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:53 PM »
They're both great units, can't go wrong with either one. Both have zoom, vexilar only does bottom 6' and the marcum anywhere in the water column, and I believe the vexilar has the shallow water mode for 15' or less or really weedy areas.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I switched from an 18 to an VX1 (step down from the M3/lx3/etc) which far outperformed the 18 in almost every fishing situation, As i sold my 18 to my fishing buddy to upgrade his FL8 and fished them side by side for years until he upgraded to an lx5. 

A few people have mentioned low power mode of the fl18.  This is a completely necessary feature of any Vexilar because when you turn your gain dial to 0, it does not clear the screen.  you can still see you jig (in less than 15' of water) you can still see the bottom.   So in shallow water situations, your tiny jig will appear to be a 1' big mark on the flasher.  low power mode dials that down to 6" but that still a lot of mark for such a tiny jig. 

The Marcum completely clears the screen and then you can turn it up to 1-2 to begin to see the bottom and then a smidge more until you see your jig as a thing orange line.   with the Marcum low power mode is your gain dial. 

In 15-30' of water both of those units are absolutely dynamite.   In shallow water, the marcum will shine. 

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.