Author Topic: Marcum VX1p problems  (Read 2519 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Marcum VX1p problems
« on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I tried searching for solutions but came up empty.

Had this unit for about 3 years now. This season its louder than its ever been and I noticed on the screen that everything will "swing" a bit. Like your pulling the ducer up or dropping it down. Which is I guess tolerable.

Also when I start it up in the cold, instead of solid red lines, its a fragmented red line. like some kind of distortion. But it only lasts a little bit until it warms up or runs for a few mins.

Checked all connections and swapped out dif batteries..

thanks.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum VX1p problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:14 AM »
motor is going out.  if you bought it new, its in that 2015-2017 period of time when their motors were garbage.  i'd almost demand they fix it at no cost. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Yep the motor is going out.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:35 AM »
what? really? .... now thats disappointing ... It was actually a nice little machine. Will it eventually just quit then?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Sooner or later it will just quit.a few years ago there were lots of guys with marcum motor problems.i had 3 units all go bad still under warranty.package it up and sending it to marcum is in your future.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:41 AM »
I just cant see them taking back a unit that ive used hard for 3ish years. would they really fix it? i mean that would be awesome

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:49 AM »
I just cant see them taking back a unit that ive used hard for 3ish years. would they really fix it? i mean that would be awesome
yes they will fix it for around 70$.hopefully put the new style motor in it.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:17 AM »
yeah just talked to them. For 80 bucks plus S+H I think ill look elsewhere.. the unit cost just under 300.. Kind of sad tho. i really liked the unit, and even got my buddy to buy one. which his was acting up as well and only 1 season old.

not to start a chevy ford debate but my buddy has a old vex thats almost 25 years old...

maybe HB next... although garmin been catching up fast in the ice fishing dept.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Thanks for the quick help btw guys. really appreciate it.

Also, marcum did mention that they did not have any problems with motors on the vx1s.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:31 AM »

Also, marcum did mention that they did not have any problems with motors on the vx1s.
lol thats a lie!i started a thread a few years back it was how many marcums in the shop right now.it was 6 page long before it got shut down.2 of my vx1pros and a lx3tc all went bad within a season.the new line of marcums have different motors that seem to be reliable.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:32 AM »

I have a VX-1i that I bought new. This is its 4th season and still runs like champ. Usually comes home covered in ice.

Sorry to hear about your issues. If it were me I’d eat the $80 bucks and have it repaired. You only need to send in the head unit (unscrew the gimbals) which would make shipping only a few bucks. To me that would make more sense than spending several hundred more dollars on a different unit just to still have a broken one. That’s me though. I believe the replacement motors they put in them now are brushless but don’t quote me on that.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I would also have it fixed.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Ive got two in the basement that have that issue, and another a buddy is supposed to drop off. We are going to send all 3 in at once and see what they say. The screen will start rocking more and more until it makes you dizzy.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:27 AM »
I have a VX-1i that I bought new. This is its 4th season and still runs like champ. Usually comes home covered in ice.

Sorry to hear about your issues. If it were me I’d eat the $80 bucks and have it repaired. You only need to send in the head unit (unscrew the gimbals) which would make shipping only a few bucks. To me that would make more sense than spending several hundred more dollars on a different unit just to still have a broken one. That’s me though. I believe the replacement motors they put in them now are brushless but don’t quote me on that.

Yes they will. They put new style motor in my lx5i that was acting up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.