Author Topic: Beef heart for bait?  (Read 6857 times)

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Beef heart for bait?
« on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Hey guys just thinking about what else I could try for bait this weekend. Im all out of live minnows so Im going to be heading out with salted minnows (its been working alright latly) I fish for pike, perch and walleye.(I wish I caught more walleye). I remember using beef heart while fishing in the summer when I was a kid, just cut it into small chunks and use it as bait but I havnt used it for years... Any ideas for using it or does anyone have any experience with using Beef heart in the winter and what fish does it manly attract, if I remember correctly we normally caught perch for it, just wondering if the pike and walleye would go after it on jigs..?? Thanks

Stevo :icefish:

PS: any other bait tips or tricks would be helpfull, perch eyes worked last weekend as well.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
Re: Beef heart for bait?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Dont be afraid to try walleye eyes as well.We have used them there and pelican and at certain times killed the Walleye. Also if you know how to remove the perchs gullet will work.Can be a Oak lake killer ;)

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:44 PM »
i use that kind of stuff in the summmer, cant imagine why it wouldnt work in the winter

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:55 PM »
I prefer pork heart over beef.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Liver! It will bleed into the water until there is nothing left but a transparent "sack". I use chicken and turkey liver all of the time for catfish. I prefer poultry liver over hoofed animal liver because it is more durable and it "bleeds" better. I'd bet your grocery store has them in the meat dept. They usually come in plastic pint containers and are very inexpensive.

Offline Icecaliber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:07 AM »
When I was younger I stumbled onto an excellent pike bait.  I highly doubt that you will pull many clams up from a hole in the ice, so a little off topic. But in the summertime while you're backtrolling and bouncing bottom, you may pull up the odd clam.  DO NOT THROW THEM BACK.  I don't know if they are legal to use, but they drive pike insane.

I was on Falcon lake, Mb. or somewhere near Minaki, Ont. when I first tried this. It was a long time ago, so I'm unsure of the location, but the water was clear enough to see 10-15ft depth.  I baited up a clam that I pulled out of the water and pryed open because me and my dad had run out of bait. Dropped it down and within seconds, not minutes, a spot that seemed devoid of fish suddenly had two pike fighting, yes fighting over the clam that I just dropped in the water, there was a third that appeared, watched the other two fight for a second before he grabbed the bait. Quite a sight.

Clam meat is fairly durable, I was able to reuse the same piece of meat several times.  1 clam=8 pike in less than 30 min. Like I said, drives them insane.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Liver is a good idea....Ill have to give those a try, I looked for Beef Heart this weekend and couldnt find any at the local grocery store.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.